Increase sound radius of mounts

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
The suggestion is to make it so a horseman can be heard from a great distance, especially if the horse is running. This is both for realism and to prevent situations when a player is suddenly assaulted by mounted enemies coming from behind. The reasoning is the following.

I am not sure how far mounts can be heard currently since even the sound of my own mount seems a bit too quiet compared to other sounds (like fighting) because of the low amount of sliders and options for the audio in the settings. But it seems that other players' mounts are not nearly loud enough to notice them in time even if they are galloping. Which is both unrealistic and prevents players from detecting an incoming threat of a cavalry attack by listening. Some other games (Albion Online, for example) pay particular attention to the sound of the mounts, and make it possible to avoid an ambush or detect an incoming mounted player by listening. It is even more important in MO2 because of the first-person view. I had situations when I had 4+ horsemen coming into melee distance from behind at full speed without me noticing them beforehand, a mounted player coming and standing behind me, riding past me and whatever, but it seems that the sound of the hooves is only loud enough to be distinct when they are pretty much side by side with you. Even relatively quiet sounds, like a drawn bow string, are louder than a horse running at you. This is either some kind of audio issue (like sound bugging out in some conditions), lack of ability to properly configure this sound (no such slider) or a general problem with the range of the sound effect being too low.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
This is a problem in every game. I remember in Mordhaul when someone could be right behind you and you couldn't hear them. It's because games usually only render what is right in front of you or next to you. So a horse that isn't rendered yet isn't going to be making sounds sadly. Secondly, the main problem with this is - sound whoring. People that are willing to go deaf in their 40s just so they can hear you walking 100 feet away

• Haha
Reactions: Avenoma