Housing Suggestion: Increased Upkeep Costs & "Settlement" Regions

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
The "Overcrowding" Issue

Housing will, in the short future, be a very useful system where players can essentially set up a base away from town. With plans like crafting tables, a variety of furniture, trophies, hirable NPCs, farms, stables, and so-on—it's easy to see why it appeals to many players, and why most everyone would want their own house.

What we're already seeing is that houses are very easy to obtain and keep. With very cheap costs of upkeep and no influence beyond convenience and personal taste there are already a lot of houses, so it isn't hard to imagine that one day with larger player populations we may see houses spread out across the entire continent, large portions of the map being an urban sprawl. This was an infamous issue in Ultima Online, and other MMOs with free-placed housing.

Planning ahead for this should begin now, which is why I'm making this thread.

Greatly Increased Upkeep Costs

JPueSVo.png

(Art is by Fantasy Flight Games)

I won't claim to be an expert on how much average players will make in a day, but I think that being able to have a few gold in your house and being set for weeks is too extreme on the easy side if we don't want every free space to be taken up by a house. In the current state of the game, you only need to kill one walker a day for some homes. I think that upkeep costs should be increased greatly, with a goal: Only an active player with a steady stream of money will be able to manage a 'non-settlement house', and these costs increase dramatically with the tier/size of house.

This means that someone who owns a small house will still need active income to support it, and for many the upkeep costs may become a chore that isn't worth it. The ability to pay in advance means that players can put in the time when they're available during the week, but 'non-settlement housing' should still be a responsibility that they have to mind and pay attention to instead of being able to forget about. Since prices increase with size and tiers, 'non-settlement' strongholds should be very costly—becoming an impressive and rare sight instead of something a small group of players can build in a night and essentially forget about if they have 50 gold in the chest.

Settlement Regions

F5t5kvp.png

(image from Dragon Age: Inquisition)

I mentioned a 'non-settlement house' what is a 'settlement'?

The Basics of Settlements

A 'settlement' would be an area in-world where SV has created a designated space for players to build, and the upkeep costs are much, much lower than elsewhere. Upkeep rates may vary from settlement to settlement. For a small T1 house, the absolute cheapest settlements would ask for an amount that's easily attainable, even for new players.

While still not as cheap as they are now, a house placed in a settlement would be much more affordable for the average player to build and maintain. These spots would naturally be much more competitive to build in because of this decreased cost, and would have the added benefit of SV being able to design the landscape of the region for housing, including roads, footpaths, barriers between spaces for houses, atmospheric clutter like wagons/barrels, and so-on. This would naturally incentivize strangers and groups of friends/guilds to claim and build up larger settlements and become a community, while isolated settlements may only fit one or two houses and allow players to build away from others.

Some castles could also have settlements attached to them, and the guild could decide between only allowing guild members to build, or opening up a whitelist.

Starvault has also expressed the goal of players spreading throughout the world, and settlements would be a way to ensure that when a region is extremely popular, many players will naturally look to the closest settlement to place down their home instead of building right on top of it. This would create a higher value on settlements closest to desirable locations, and when those are full, players looking to access that area would naturally move to the next closest open settlement.

The Features of Settlements

Each settlement could be 'themed' to who's meant to have set it up, such as different nations or factions. Some may be as small and simple as a single plot of land out in the woods, while others may be large spaces where players can organically create a city (or expand on one).

• Some may be designed in a way which naturally creates housing plots.
    • As an example, many may have prebuilt roads, pathways, and fences—with the spaces between these only able to fit houses of a certain size.
    • The 'boundaries' between these plots could be anything from streams, to roads and pathways, to wheat fields, to trees, to clutter objects, to actual fences/small walls.
  • The places where houses can be built could naturally lack grass, rocks, trees, bushes, and so-on to create an aesthetically pleasing place to build. These areas may be dirt, flattened grass, paved brick, wooden platforms, and so-on.
  • Different settlements may offer different built-in features, such as:
    • Ponds, Rivers, Streams, and Lakes
    • Small fields/orchards of resources like wheat, rye, rice, cotton, grapes, apples, etc.
    • Passive animals that fit the settlement's theme, such as dogs, cats, goats, pigs, cows, chickens, rabbits, etc.
    • NPC buildings such as an inn, a temple with a priest, and so-on.
    • Patrolling guards
      • Plenty of settlements would obviously lack these.
    • NPC vendors that may sell things like building designs, furniture designs, clothing designs, cooking tools, utility tools, etc.
    • Plazas in the center of the community for gathering, hosting events, etc.
    • Walls and other buildable structures not owned by any one player.
    • Many—even most—settlements would have no conditions, however some may require a high standing with the nation/faction tied to them or some other features such as high sophistication to gain access.
    • Titles
      • When you build a house in a settlement, you might get "of [Settlement Name]" as a possible title for however long you own a house there.
Some may also restrict people to certain building styles, from as open-ended as 'Tindremene styles' for a 'Tindrem Outskirts' settlement, to as specific to Khurite yurts for a small Khurite settlement in the steppes. These are all, of course, more advanced than the basics.

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
Settlement Examples

Farming Settlement—Housing Capacity: 20+

g4q0qul.png

(Image from The Witcher 3)
Bsd75IV.png

Nestled in the forests and rolling plains between Tindrem and Meduli, Obrig would be a farming settlement where the actual spaces for houses (light gray) are quite small. Imagine the top image, but without the building until a player places it there. The upkeep costs are very low, and between each area to build houses are things such as wheat fields, fences, wagons, pathways, small patches of trees, creeks, short stone border walls, wells, and so-on. A 'town center' sits in the middle, and the roads essentially fan out from it—creating a natural meeting point.

Features:
  • High yield fields of grain.
  • Very low upkeep.
  • Approval to create a house is determined by tasks done for the Tindremic Official located in the red building by the road. 20 tasks, for example, may need to be completed before you can build a house in Obrig.
    • The rate of approval is much faster for Thursar players, say 10 tasks, in order to reflect the actual lore of Obrig being a town with many Thursar.
  • Community development options, managed by the Tindremic Official.
Outskirts Settlement—Housing Capacity: 100+

SsZfFYA.png

(Image from Black Desert Online concept art)​

The 'outskirts' concept is one that could be applied to most cities, allowing for them to visually expand and contract in size as players might move in/out, giving a sign to players how active a city is—as well as creating exciting new opportunities when new continents are released to grab a desirable plot attached to one's new favorite city. Players may to gain a decent amount of standing with the nation the city is tied to before they can build—or at least do many tasks for that nation. The available spaces to build here are often very tightly packed and small. The most valuable of all would be the extremely limited sections that can fit a stronghold, and a settlement of this type may only offer one or two spaces that can fit a stronghold, if any at all.

Features:
  • Space for many homes to be built.
    • Space for several large buildings, as well as a single spot where a stronghold could be built.
  • Immediate proximity to Meduli.
  • Dog and cat ambient creatures.
  • Various NPC services
    • Temple with Priest
    • Bank
    • Trade Broker
  • Requires one to do many Meduli tasks.
'Red' Settlement—Housing Capacity: 50-60

(Got to get ready for work, but I'll find a picture for it eventually!)

Another 'outskirts' concept, applied to the dangerous forest surrounding Kranesh. This settlement would be designed to be fairly spaced out, to give residents distance and privacy from their neighbors. A 'Red' settlement would have no guards, and may have an NPC that offers small additional ways to increase standing to 'zero' to residents with the nearest factions—in this case the Tindremic Provinces.

Features:
  • No reputation requirements.
  • Few, if any, task requirements.
  • Privacy
  • NPC that offers additional ways for players to increase their standing to 'zero' with the Tindremic provinces.
Small-Scale Settlement—Housing Capacity: 1-2

ddI8O5H.png

(Image from the Witcher 3)​

To show how the concept can scale down to very small sizes as well, this example shows that many settlements could have the space to fit maybe one-or-two houses and be tossed around the wilderness. While very limited in (or entirely lacking) features, these would give players the option to have homes far away from others in remote parts of the world.

User_name

Mar 23, 2021
I don't think the devs should pre-define "settlements". It should all be upon the players, although I also think upkeep needs to be re-balanced depending on how the housing situation develops. Maybe with TC and taxing this will be adressed.

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
I don't think the devs should pre-define "settlements". It should all be upon the players, although I also think upkeep needs to be re-balanced depending on how the housing situation develops. Maybe with TC and taxing this will be adressed.
Right, players could still make their own settlements and this idea wouldn't stop it at all. It'd just give players a space where they could do so more easily (and for cheaper), in a place where it might look a lot better than a cluster of houses sticking out of the grass with no roads (and very limited features for what they can actually build, for balance reasons), if they so chose.

Edit: It’s essentially an extension of their “in-town housing” idea that will be coming in the future that they’ve talked about. A player housing option between completely free placed housing (which has its downsides and upsides) and completely predefined housing (which has its downsides and upsides). If we’re going to have both just figured this kind of a system isn’t necessarily entirely out of place to have specific spaces that straddle the line—but I get where you’re coming from too.

Last edited:

Drednir

Dec 30, 2021
The settlements idea is a good one, but add that if a person selects to live in the predefined settlement it is at a different upkeep than a non-settlement. I definitely agree we should still have the freedom to choose to live in the backwoods should we choose to do so. With respect to the upkeep, an upkeep in a settlement is likely higher because the owner is paying for the security and the infrastructure associated with the settlement. Whereas the person who builds out in the jungle somewhere doesn't have much security and probably no roads at all and therefore shouldn't have a high upkeep cost.

Associated with the cost of ownership, I logged in to continue to work on my house build and it was no longer there. I assume it despawned on me while I was away for a couple of days. It was the 150 gp house plan and I had approximately 50% of the build completed. Why would it despawn so quickly? I'd suggest busting up the plan a bit, i.e. foundation cost x, walls cost y, roof cost z allowing folks to build and secure the different stages without losing their progress. For some solo and casual players the 150gp price tag is their life savings and breaking it up a bit would keep them from rage quitting. Plus it would be a fun mechanic for the criminal element to steal the different parts of the housing project.