Hiding skill or other casual concessions?

Tylonis

Aug 10, 2022
I love a sandbox MMO and I love the tension that full loot PVP brings to a game, nothing else is comparable. With that said, at times I'm just hunting or heading out into the wilderness and have to step away for an unknown amount of time (IRL whatever, babies, ymmv) and the only current options are to AFK and pray or logout with a 2 minute timer. The 2 minute timer being the current favorite, but it's a hard call sometimes. I would put points into a hiding skill that allowed me to crouch down in the forest and hide while being still, with the risk of being discovered if someone (or something) got too close. Another option may be to setup camp to facilitate a faster logout? I'm not a game designer and I don't know what ramifications of this may be, but helplessly listening to my AFK hunter get blasted while I hold my crying baby feels bad. We're both crying.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
You (or the player 'lurking with intent' to do whatever he plans to do in a minute or two) ought to be able to crouch or take up the prone position with reduced outline against the terrain.

I almost naïvely thought this was already so, and could be done. Henrik has always talked about "natural stealth". That should mean something besides just not having to keep moving at night, or you disappea, WoW-style.

SWG even let avatars move, slowly, while prone, which came in very handy & did not wreck the game-world.

AFK is one of those 'over time, your chances of survival fall to zero' techniques. I don't recommend it.
I love a sandbox MMO and I love the tension that full loot PVP brings to a game, nothing else is comparable. With that said, at times I'm just hunting or heading out into the wilderness and have to step away for an unknown amount of time (IRL whatever, babies, ymmv) and the only current options are to AFK and pray or logout with a 2 minute timer. The 2 minute timer being the current favorite, but it's a hard call sometimes. I would put points into a hiding skill that allowed me to crouch down in the forest and hide while being still, with the risk of being discovered if someone (or something) got too close. Another option may be to setup camp to facilitate a faster logout? I'm not a game designer and I don't know what ramifications of this may be, but helplessly listening to my AFK hunter get blasted while I hold my crying baby feels bad. We're both crying.

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Tylonis

Aug 10, 2022
I haven't gotten far enough into the game to know I could even go prone. Finding an off-the-beaten path spot to go low has been working for me so far, and the game is large and sparse enough that you can legit be hard to find. Understood that afk is a dangerous game, but sometimes you have no other option.

Are there any good escape skills that might help a player get away from a gank? I see speed being your biggest asset here, but if you're on foot and your opponate is mounted you're hosed. Are there any advantages to being on foot?

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
I haven't gotten far enough into the game to know I could even go prone. Finding an off-the-beaten path spot to go low has been working for me so far, and the game is large and sparse enough that you can legit be hard to find. Understood that afk is a dangerous game, but sometimes you have no other option.

Are there any good escape skills that might help a player get away from a gank? I see speed being your biggest asset here, but if you're on foot and your opponate is mounted you're hosed. Are there any advantages to being on foot?
For clarification, I'm not sure that you can go prone. But you should be able to. SV should make it so if it is not.

Tylonis

Aug 10, 2022
Yes. I can see this game holds a lot of hopes and dreams. Alas, we make due with what we have. It really feels like a living world and that’s hard to do.