Feels like they learned nothing from the failure of MO1

Zastier

Mar 11, 2021
The biggest set back of the first game was the dreadful new player experience. The utter lack of tutorials and guidance to get players started in the world, combined with the large and empty world space, just created a game in which new players didn't have the chance to try and enjoy the game. You cannot just drop a player in a complex and unintuitive world like this and expect them to just work it out. Combined with stability issues, the company still being unable to run servers for a few thousand players, and the repetition of old mistakes just gives me 0 hope for this game. I genuinely thought Mortal Online 2 was a chance for the devs to actually make massive improvements to the game, but the only thing that feels improved is the visuals.

Reactions: Etrius

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
The biggest set back of the first game was the dreadful new player experience. The utter lack of tutorials and guidance to get players started in the world, combined with the large and empty world space, just created a game in which new players didn't have the chance to try and enjoy the game. You cannot just drop a player in a complex and unintuitive world like this and expect them to just work it out. Combined with stability issues, the company still being unable to run servers for a few thousand players, and the repetition of old mistakes just gives me 0 hope for this game. I genuinely thought Mortal Online 2 was a chance for the devs to actually make massive improvements to the game, but the only thing that feels improved is the visuals.

While I agree some of the tooltips and notifications need polishing I think they've made a huge improvement from the first game....at least from the first time that I started the game (haven didn't exist). They have a huge dialog in the beginning of the game that gives you a general idea of how to move, and a popup shows up (when in haven) when you hit different POIs which is definitely useful. I think you're being a little too harsh for this STRESS TEST....there is still plenty of work that will be put into Haven and the rest of Nave.

One of the things I think is very unique about this game is that it forces you to find a group of new player friendly veterans who are willing to share their knowledge with you rather than the game itself handholding you through every process like every other game on the market. The game runs on player interaction which I think is the most important part of an MMO. Sure this will make it hard to retain people with the attention span of a goldfish, but I don't think that is a crowd worth pandering to.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I disagree about the hand holding. If the game is good people will figure it out. If the mechanics and experience are solid, people will put in the effort to research and learn.

However, I do agree with your second point, that if on top of no hand holding there are a ton of technical and stability issue, then it’s a no go. People will rightly get frustrated and go play something else.

It can be hard and unforgiving, but not hard, unforgiving AND run like garbage.

Reactions: Bicorps and Kelzyr

Phex

Mar 27, 2021
If the game is good people will figure it out. If the mechanics and experience are solid, people will put in the effort to research and learn.

There is the Problem. I'm not a stranger to "hardcore MMORPG's" but MO2 gives me nothing to work with. It starts with the character creation that seems very deep, but gives zero info what the Stats actual do. So, imagine my suprise when my supposed Archer can't use his craftet bow because a lack of strength. So, i have to increase Strength, How? Don't know. Go out fighting mobs with my melee Weapon as Archer so i can increase my Strength so i can starting using my bow in the first place. Fine. Loot a lot of stuff. What does the loot does? Don't know, every describtion is still "missing". Who designs items and then adds the description later? That seems backwards.

As you said if the experience is solid people will stick with the game anyways. So far the
Combat system felt terrible and clunky, not really looking forward to do pvp with this system. If you want to have slow, realistic combat look at Gloria Victis. Or go the fast paced Route like Darkfall.

So far, my Impression is that this game is not much more then a Tech Demo.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I guess it depends what hard core means to you. If simply grinding for months just to level .01 is hard core then this isn’t your type of game.

the hard part in MO is exactly that, figuring it out. Like dungeon bosses, the fun is in figuring out how to beat it.

You seem to be the type that likes a dotted glowing paths to everything. Perhaps you’ve played too many hand holding games and you think everything should just be spoon fed to you. In this game, half the fun is figure it out. It took years for the first alchemists in this game to learn how to make HP potions. That’s by design. That is the definition of hard.

besides there is a help chat channel. A forum filled with guides.....yea I get, its not thrown in your face every step you take, but it is very easy to find out. It was 10 times harder the first few years when we didn’t even have a help chat, or guides, or even description on skill books. Now THAT was hard. This is just, mildly inconvenient.

Phex

Mar 27, 2021
I guess it depends what hard core means to you. If simply grinding for months just to level .01 is hard core then this isn’t your type of game.

the hard part in MO is exactly that, figuring it out. Like dungeon bosses, the fun is in figuring out how to beat it.

You seem to be the type that likes a dotted glowing path to everything. Perhaps you’ve played too many hand holding games and you think everything should just be spoon fed to you. In this game, half the fun is figure it out. It took years for the first alchemists in this game to learn how to make HP potions. That’s by design. That is the definition of hard.

besides there is a help chat channel. A forum filled with guides.....yea I get it not thrown in your face every step you take, but it is very easy to find out.

And you seem to be that type that thinks he is a better person because he plays niche games and likes to insult the "casual filth". So, if we are done exchaning insults we can maybe get back to a civil discussion.

Sadly, you ignore mostly of my post/points and only focused on the "maybe you are just to casual lol".

There is a difference is being a hardcore/difficult game and lazy/bad gamedesign. Darksouls is a hard game, but it isn't hard because it hides information from the player or is just unclear about it mechanics.

I will come back to the character creation. what's the point of not telling at least the basics of what the attributes are for in game? I have to create a character with zero information, then play several hours of the game until you learned enough about the basics so you know you character isn't going to be doing what you wanted him to do. Since you can only have one Character, now you have the choice to continue with a subpar Character for the rest of the game or you erase the progress of several hours and start new.

Thats not "hardcore" or "fun" Thats bad game Design. You still can have a good new player experience and tell them at least the basics of the game and still have a challenging and deep game ahead of them.

And all of this didn't change the bad impression the core combat system gives you at the beginning. After several hours ingame i have zero interest in doing either PvP or PvE with this system any longer. Maybe that has something to do with the technical issues.

Reactions: SGTSolj

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Like I said, this is probably not the game for you. There are plenty of ways to find out, it’s just not the way you are used to. You only seem to like games that throw it in your face. I mean that’s fine, it’s easy, it’s why all casual games do it. But MO doesn’t, never did. It lets you find out ....the hard way 😉. If that’s not your thing than what can I say besides this is not for you...

Last edited:
Reactions: Xunila and Bicorps

Castiel

Feb 25, 2021
And you seem to be that type that thinks he is a better person because he plays niche games and likes to insult the "casual filth". So, if we are done exchaning insults we can maybe get back to a civil discussion.

Sadly, you ignore mostly of my post/points and only focused on the "maybe you are just to casual lol".

There is a difference is being a hardcore/difficult game and lazy/bad gamedesign. Darksouls is a hard game, but it isn't hard because it hides information from the player or is just unclear about it mechanics.

I will come back to the character creation. what's the point of not telling at least the basics of what the attributes are for in game? I have to create a character with zero information, then play several hours of the game until you learned enough about the basics so you know you character isn't going to be doing what you wanted him to do. Since you can only have one Character, now you have the choice to continue with a subpar Character for the rest of the game or you erase the progress of several hours and start new.

Thats not "hardcore" or "fun" Thats bad game Design. You still can have a good new player experience and tell them at least the basics of the game and still have a challenging and deep game ahead of them.

And all of this didn't change the bad impression the core combat system gives you at the beginning. After several hours ingame i have zero interest in doing either PvP or PvE with this system any longer. Maybe that has something to do with the technical issues.

There's this thing called help chat. Have you tried asking questions or researching on the forums. SV gives you a decent hand in initial direction and the forums are already filled with guides. Step your game up if you expect to compete in a "hardcore" game.

Lol you act like you play hardcore then show your lazy casual side. This isn't the game to cater to casual players. Doesn'eam casuals can't play and have fun however you will have to put some effort whether casual or not to have a fun experience

Phex

Mar 27, 2021
There's this thing called help chat. Have you tried asking questions or researching on the forums. SV gives you a decent hand in initial direction and the forums are already filled with guides. Step your game up if you expect to compete in a "hardcore" game.

Lol you act like you play hardcore then show your lazy casual side. This isn't the game to cater to casual players. Doesn'eam casuals can't play and have fun however you will have to put some effort whether casual or not to have a fun experience

Yes, i have used the help Channel which is filled with helpfull players who try to help. But it is spammed with 2-3 Question a second atm and there are also people who tell you to "go back to fucking wow lol" when you asked if it is possible to put more arrows in your quiver then 25 at a time. I also watched a guide on youtube.

I find it still funny that jackdstripper tells me the game is about finding out stuff by yourself and then the solution is to watch videos and read the forum for guides because the game isn't give you the basics informations to figure it out by yourself.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com

I respect that you have criticisms of the game, and yes a bit more tooltips and a more fleshed out world would be helpful.

As some of us have already pointed out, the weekend stress test had one goal and one goal only, and that was to push the server to its absolute limit and make it crash. And crashed it we did.

Does the game need more polish and more detailed info at the beginning? Sure, but I'm sure we can all agree that that can come later.

Considering that the game isn't even in Persistent Early Access yet, let alone full release, I'm glad that SV focussed on the most critical part of the game. That being a stable and well-performing server where many players can log in relatively smoothly and play with minimal issues.

On that front, SV has delivered with flying colours, and considering that they worked on it all weekend, it shows their passion and dedication to their game.

We're incredibly fortunate that this isn't run by some big corporate development studio, if it were then this would probably have been the weekend off for them and nothing would've been done until Monday or whenever they feel like it.

Phex

Mar 27, 2021
I respect that you have criticisms of the game, and yes a bit more tooltips and a more fleshed out world would be helpful.

As some of us have already pointed out, the weekend stress test had one goal and one goal only, and that was to push the server to its absolute limit and make it crash. And crashed it we did.

Does the game need more polish and more detailed info at the beginning? Sure, but I'm sure we can all agree that that can come later.

Considering that the game isn't even in Persistent Early Access yet, let alone full release, I'm glad that SV focussed on the most critical part of the game. That being a stable and well-performing server where many players can log in relatively smoothly and play with minimal issues.

On that front, SV has delivered with flying colours, and considering that they worked on it all weekend, it shows their passion and dedication to their game.

We're incredibly fortunate that this isn't run by some big corporate development studio, if it were then this would probably have been the weekend off for them and nothing would've been done until Monday or whenever they feel like it.

Yeah, you are right. I just disliked the behaviour. This is a Feedback Forum and the Stress Test is a good opportunity to get Feedback from fresh Players. Then somebody just walz in and dismiss all feedback with "its hardcore, bro!" just boils my blood.

And thats just my feedback. I'm playing MMORPG's since 25 Years now, and i like all kind of MMO's.Yes, even "Casual" ones from time to time. From Merdian 59 (Even that had tooltips) over DaoC to Darkfall and some Games so niche i doubt more then 100 people played it ever. I knew Mortal 2 was in development but didn't followed it. So i used the stress test to get a first impression and i'm sure many others did as well. There was a lot of Buzz around it and for a indi dev game thats pure gold. So yeah, i think the impression could habe been better and i just wanted to share what i think could be improved. In the End, MO2 will need a healthy Playerbase to function. Like all hardcore Sandbox MMO's i played basically died when the population dropped after the releasehype. You can be hardcore as much as you want, when the game is you sitting alone in your castle there is no game anymore.

I hope the devs will have the chance to take the time to polish the game and have a overall better experience. From what i saw in Videos and Articles i assumed the game would be way further in his development cycle. That is not the devs fault, but maybe can explain my disappointment.