Do RPer's consider Alpha/Beta "canon"?

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
For those who roleplay, such as the Zealots led (guided?) by @Godkin Veratas - the events and social interactions that transpire during this period, do you consider them canon for your RP? Do the stories that come from this time translate into persistence and remain in your timeline, or will there be a clean slate?

My personal RP is light and mostly for myself. Recently I have been playing in GK, and have some fodder I have been considering turning into stories. I would enjoy keeping them canon, however before the game goes live, I imagine my character will be wiped at least a couple more times - and I also would never realistically be in GK for the events that have taken place.

I'd appreciate hearing opinions on this.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
My deva has lost all coherent memory of the past(MO1 and the timespan between MO1 and MO2), its alpha/beta time is a time of confusion about identity and memory, Some places feel familiar and yet different. For now, the only real memory of identity was when some warrior struck it down while yelling repent. That felt familiar and triggered some painful memories. Memories from different identities, its all very weird and unsettling.

So, yes, I do. I have decided to go with the deva idea even though I never knew if it was official lore in MO1. I will be struggling with memories from all my characters of that account, maybe even from all my MO1 accounts, unless I decide to make two.
Edit: I do not intend to repeat my old rp, and the old memories will play a lesser part in the new rp, the big part will of course be present events and people.

• Love
Reactions: Serverus and Neftan

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
somehow the gods have transported us to this time and we have not died of old age. It is a miracle
Ah! That explains some details I didn't ask.

Is there a Star Vault source I can cite for the number (2) of centuries since the Age of MO1?

Some places feel familiar and yet different.
Since some folks feel this way in real life, even if it's just a trick of our real brains in processing data, that makes sense to me.
I do not intend to repeat my old rp, and the old memories will play a lesser part in the new rp, the big part will of course be present events and people.
If or even when I play in the world of Nave made by Star Vault again, this will be my approach. Any vivid and coherent memory of any life lived ~200 years ago would detract from that for me, especially as the new world would be inhabited by persons (characters) who knew those I used to play, including but not limited to Casilda.
I authorised a certain epilogue for her, and it was fittingly free from the curse of eternal youth. To make her 23 years old forever would have robbed her of a lot. Nothing against anyone who wants to attain immortality for his characters by 'not dying', but she had her vocations. :cool:

I imagine my character will be wiped at least a couple more times - and I also would never realistically be in GK for the events that have taken place.
I'd say it wouldn't hurt for a character to survive the wipe of an avatar, but yes: it would be really, really hard to have continuity when "you" do something that (later) truly can't have realistically happened.

If this game can make it through these birth struggles just ahead, and survive for you all to tell your tales-- as I have wished that it will, if most of you can enjoy it-- then I will quite enjoy reading your stories.

laylah_sig_wide_zps90b85aae.JPG

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
There was once a man named UnicornHooves. He was a timeline keeper who shared content from everything that happened in Mortal Online 1; from the Alpha, to the first guild who built a keep, to Steam Release, to the war in 2017. It was historically documented and became the official politial lore of Nave. So I think what we do now is definitely considered canon. Your reputation begins now. Albeit what happened in MO1 was over 150 years ago, so what we do now in MO2 will be written in an entirely new story. Everyone we knew in MO1 died from the Irruption. Hence making Nave an old world, filled with new and intriguing opportunities.

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
There was once a man named UnicornHooves. He was a timeline keeper who shared content from everything that happened in Mortal Online 1; from the Alpha, to the first guild who built a keep, to Steam Release, to the war in 2017. It was historically documented and became the official politial lore of Nave. So I think what we do now is definitely considered canon. Your reputation begins now. Albeit what happened in MO1 was over 150 years ago, so what we do now in MO2 will be written in an entirely new story. Everyone we knew in MO1 died from the Irruption. Hence making Nave an old world, filled with new and intriguing opportunities.
If I do end up playing MO2, I'll likely make a history for it as well. Granted, MO1's history is a bit incomplete as I haven't updated it since like 2015.

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
If I do end up playing MO2, I'll likely make a history for it as well. Granted, MO1's history is a bit incomplete as I haven't updated it since like 2015.
I honestly think you should do the right thing and finish what you started 10 years ago. The irruption is coming. Then you can end MO1’s timeline properly as you had envisioned. Then if you decide to continue on in MO2 you will have 150 years of player lore and history to consider.

Reactions: Ibarruri

TwistedSister77

Apr 23, 2021
Personally, as an Rp'r. Alpha and beta are not live, you will have an influx of new players... as the game was intended (not iterations). It was the "Draft Notes Of the Author" so to speak.

Take all your concepts and characters, if you want, and incorporate them over time into a new live experience.

But for new live RP players to pick up on your Alpha role play legacy stuff... party foul. Kinda elitist and no fresh start to develop storylines with new players.

To the OP... there is little cannon in the game... it is sandbox... since you have to pay to test it, many are on the sidelines. When it goes live, 10x + more players will create the cannon then are now in game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herold

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
To the OP... there is little cannon in the game... it is sandbox... since you have to pay to test it, many are on the sidelines. When it goes live, 10x + more players will create the cannon then are now in game.

There actually is quite a bit of canon in Mortal Online, to be considered. It is not like other sandbox MMO's; Lif, Conan Exiles, Wurm etc...where they just throw you out in an empty world and expect you to survive with no politics. Politics are being created now in the beta and will not just automatically happen at launch. There is over 10 years of lore in this game all player created. Guilds that love. hate and respect each other.

Also. Nave is actually full of rich canon that may intrigue you as an RPer. Check out A New Dawn...

A New Dawn

Last edited:

Herold

Apr 26, 2021
Personally, as an Rp'r. Alpha and beta are not live, you will have an influx of new players... as the game was intended (not iterations). It was the "Draft Notes Of the Author" so to speak.

Take all your concepts and characters, if you want, and incorporate them over time into a new live experience.

But for new live RP players to pick up on your Alpha role play legacy stuff... party foul. Kinda elitist and no fresh start to develop storylines with new players.

I agree 90% on that this is a new slate, old player interaction shouldnt matter(bigger battles could be seen as ancient history nobody would be interested in hearing about since it...you know an eternity since then). It is also somewhat toxic and self glorifying hearing an older player droning on about his personal accomplishments rather than being invited to partake yourself, no interaction = no roleplay.
And yes, beta is cannon... people already have long "shitlists" and are willing to make arch rivals.
Take this chance to reset or reevaluate your rp. Try something new or improve on your old char and reintroduce them.

Reactions: Serverus

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I'm very light on the RP myself, but if I were to speak in character, and speak about the events of alpha and beta, it would be in generalties. There are political events happening now that will shape the political landscape come release. Seems weird to make no mention of them at all. Also seems weird to include them all in full detail when there is a wipe coming that will reset the playfield in many regards.

Reactions: Herold and Serverus

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
I'm very light on the RP myself, but if I were to speak in character, and speak about the events of alpha and beta, it would be in generalties. There are political events happening now that will shape the political landscape come release. Seems weird to make no mention of them at all. Also seems weird to include them all in full detail when there is a wipe coming that will reset the playfield in many regards.
I like to think of beta as a premonition like dream of things that may come to pass on release, where meaningful persistent (player based) lore will be laid out.

Reactions: Serverus

Herold

Apr 26, 2021
i think you are right, it will be like sidenotes and background lore maybe

Anachroniser

Aug 9, 2020
Ah! That explains some details I didn't ask.

Is there a Star Vault source I can cite for the number (2) of centuries since the Age of MO1?

There is not a direct and quantified amount of time that has passed, in lore many records were lost and the actual amount of time that has passed is still unknown (to the tindremic empire at least).
https://www.mortalonline2.com/a-new-dawn/ see the subsection "counting the days" you can safely assume that mo2 takes place over 300 years after the conflux and I believe mo1 was supposed to take place less than a hundred years after the conflux.
perhaps the khurites or alvarin have a better maintained calendar as they sheltered in caves and may have suffered less as a result. Nordveld was rumored to be spared from the tagmaton invasion due mostly to climate, they almost certainly have better records. Sarducaa was also less affected by the irruption than myrland though still notably more than nordveld, like the khurites and alvarin they too sheltered in caves. Its quite possible that some NPC faction has a good idea of the passage of time but I'd guess 3 or 4 centuries until then. Also who knows what happened to sidoia(which supposedly emerged once again from the coral sea) or lykia or even herabalter. Something clearly happened to both sidoia(as the islands unsank) and to herabalter (the sudden evolution of risar), so perhaps there are few records in those.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
see the subsection "counting the days" you can safely assume that mo2 takes place over 300 years after the conflux and I believe mo1 was supposed to take place less than a hundred years after the conflux.
As I understand it MO2 is approximately 400 years after the conflux and 100 years after the irruption. I think MO1 ends around 300 - 350 NT.

Reactions: Tuhtram