Crafting Suggestions

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
all crafters were colluding to sell trash for high prices.
i find this hard to believe. I was mostly self-sufficient and rarely had use for the broker so maybe i didnt see all the goings on but ... why would anyone buy trash from the broker (aside from clueless newbies that dont know any better)? i guess maybe if you're in a bad spot with no gear and just need *something*. having a crafter wasnt exactly rocket science, there was nothing to prevent anyone from listing decent gear at a reasonable price, its not really possible to corner the market like that.

personally i found the broker far too cumbersome to bother with attempting to list a lot of items, and eventually sv made it so easy to be swimming in gold that i didnt have to really sell anything for cashflow so i used the broker even less. i really hope sv gets a much better handle on the economy in MO2 and provides far better tools to facilitate trade than we had in mo1.

-barcode

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Something strange happened in MO 1. In MO 1 nearly all of the crafters were basically predators. I think the only people more guilty than the player killers are the crafters. For some reason the ethical crafters were so few. In terms of people that put stuff on the broker I can only think of a few, Xunila sold quality bows, aloyssius (which was kbear?) sold decent horses at good prices, maybe you'd get a somewhat decent lyk from grimskull.

Far better was dealing with forum business like ichor or yeonan.

The knowledge that these items were junk wasn't enough when all crafters were colluding to sell trash for high prices.

Part of the problem was lack of incentives to be active in branding and have physical presense. I feel there were very few item that provided a reasonable profit compared to other methods. Bows were one of them, sold them myself. Materials were a few silver and you could sell them for 3-5 gold. For steel weapons it was the opposite, you basically sold at value.

Forum accounts worked since they were connected to a player as reputation, as sort of an "honor" based system where some would roleplay as merchants.

I think a good crafter should be measured at efficiency rather than quality. If there is a quality difference betwenn two sword, nearly no one will buy the worse for PvP. If there are way to save steel and in time in production (like old extraction appliances) the best crafters will have the most profit per time invested.

Gathering needs to be incentivised as well with easy to set up buy orders. Maybe even special NPCs you can use as a player made "quest".

Information is key. Give new player the ability to understand the market with the tools provide in game. Add black boards for flaire and NPCs for ease-of-use.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
personally i found the broker far too cumbersome to bother with attempting to list a lot of items...
This, exactly this. Why would anyone waste his broker slots for cheap, fair priced, products when you can only so few products at once.
There were crafters who sold for fair prices. But they didn't bother listing them cause they will be within minutes out of stock, and they need to refill the broker constantly without significant profit.

I think that's the reason why the broker got mostly overpriced stuff.

It's like 100 cuprum for 1g order 20 sulfur for 1g...

Reactions: Zbuciorn

jbrewer

Jul 20, 2020
The underlying problem in my opinion is that noobs who didn't know any better would buy your crappy gear for way more than it was actually worth, since you were making it with materials that were basically trash...like fullgrain leather apparently. Which, don't get me wrong, that's totally within your rights to do, it's just kind of trashy to purposely take advantage of new players who don't know any better, and take this stance that you're some great crafter/tradesman or whatever, when you were kind of the Chinese knockoff of craftsmen.

But none of this is much of an issue when there are enough people crafting and selling gear via accessible tools like the auction house that a new player can look and see the properties and prices and tell the good stuff from the stuff made from literal garbage. When they have options to choose from, the problem of trash crafters kind of sorts itself out.

Why did you make such trash gear anyways? Did you play all that time and never learn how proper gear was made?
There was nothing wrong with my equipment. It had full lores and all of my wares are rated to protect the user adequately in PvE and lower end PvP. If everyone only made cronite and oghmium gear on the broker, do you think noobs would be able to afford it? Do you think regular people would be able to afford it (back then anyways)? I catered to the common man, who requires gear but could not afford the fancy stuff.

And besides, it wasn't JUST newer players that purchased my equipment. Older players did so as well.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
I'd say SV should avoid non-immersive pop up windows as much as possible. So unless the mini-game involves looking down at a CGI of a block of steel you are forming and actually let you do real world stuff like shape and form it, controlling reach and balance and things like that. But that would be ridiculous to program.

Jaseace

May 28, 2020
Haven't we gone over this before people?
Crafting minigames sucks, nobody wants them. Just another pointless mechanic.
If you wanna see a real mini-game, look at lockpicking in MO1.... It sucked. Lets not try this again.

jbrewer

Jul 20, 2020
Haven't we gone over this before people?
Crafting minigames sucks, nobody wants them. Just another pointless mechanic.
If you wanna see a real mini-game, look at lockpicking in MO1.... It sucked. Lets not try this again.
lol and have everything but combat be reduced down to get to 100 skill, click once, and be done? No thanks. The game needs more in depth non-combat content and if I wanted to play a game where all the crafting could be done with a single click I'd play Runescape.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
I wasn't really saying no minigame. But it would have to have great graphics, like the furnace is burning and you are forging and people can see what you are making. On the weapon blade you can click to strike multiple times like a weapon swing, shaping and balancing it, but on a timer to get anything unique. This would be in addition to sliders of course, as crafting would be mostly repeatable like in MO1 not requiring any real minigame but if you try you could add a special hitbox shape or tweaks the stats like some way to discover an extra few %. Similar stuff for other crafts. Im just curious what you'd propose as a minigame?

Last edited: