Concentration Sucks

billbonty

Nov 17, 2020
So, put yourself in my shoes for a moment. Your character is completely maxed out, no skill points left, wearing decent armor, and has every spell in the game.

Trinkets charged… +7 raw int, +3 raw psy, 7% ecu damage… and if a wolf catches me in the woods it’s still a gamble on if I will live or not.

2 wolves attack fast enough that you have a good chance of dying. Even with 100 concentration, if you turn a corner and get surprised by a mob, you’re always at risk of dying because of concentration alone regardless of if they actually deal decent damage or not.

It’s currently set to 80% and half that for mounted. I’d like for concentration to be 100% for PVE and still 80% for PvP. In PVP it’s fine most of the time and makes sense when taking big hits. PVP balance for mages is currently in a good place when you’re not considering the use of tower shields or daggers. But without making a significant change to the functionality of concentration as a whole, setting it to 100% in PVE would be a huge QoL for mages and actually allow us to reliably PVE on foot with elementalism and other spells.

Right now in order for solo PVE to be possible, you have to scout the area and see where the spawns are and know if they group aggro or not. If they do, cast static charge as soon as you aggro them with either stone or fireball. If you are too close and can’t get the 3.5 second cast off, you die unless you spam stone and hope it works. You could always try to heal yourself through it, but most of the time you just get interrupted over and over.

Tldr: Concentration on foot with 100 skill in PVE should be 100%. PVP balance is currently fine for magic with the exception of tower shields and daggers. I just can’t risk getting off my horse to take on bandit outlaws or anything else that’s chasing me without dying. Mounts shouldn’t be required to do PVE as a pure mage.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
Concentration seems to have been put in place to work as a passive evasion. It sounds good on paper , Passive evasion worked in ultima online because hits where based off a rng roll and % chance to hit or block with the addition of passive evasion from wrestling. that does not work in a game with hit registering. I made a suggestion to even the playingfield for both pvp and pve on pure intelligence based charecter in these forums. https://www.mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/pure-mage-vs-pure-footie.10957/

Presul

Apr 26, 2022
Concentration has always annoyed me in PVE. The options Billbonty mentioned would be a good change. Another alternative is an internal timer that gives immunity to interrupts from melee so the interrupt can only happen every x times in x seconds. Or another option is make melee/spells intended to interrupt as the only way to interrupt spell casting which would be my preference for a fix. Maybe a shield bash for shield users. A kick/trip that knocks the caster down for melee users. Spell wise we already have spells that interrupt. Maybe melee/shield users need to level a skill in order to interrupt spell casting. Not 100% sure it should be a primary or secondary, but should require some skilled game play to interrupt. Maybe do small stamina gain/drain for successfully interrupting a spell and a larger drain if the ability is used without interrupting a spell.