Clamor for Second Server! Mo2 = 2 servers!

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yes. USA Server, probably not, but why not a FRESH, CLEAN server. It will allow more players to be hosted, allow people to migrate to the other when one inevitably crashes, and will decrease lag overall! MORE people, LESS lag theory.

Why would one want TWO servers in a game like MO? It's quite simple. There should never be a PvP server and a PvE server, but I do believe there is a clash between Empire Building sort of players and more gear and fight sort of players. Or am I wrong? It would be so easy to modify the rules a bit on each server and make the new one more "hardcore," and "fast paced." Upon seeing if it works (it might be more successful than TC drop, gasp) the possibilities would be endless! SV seems quite able to create multiple servers, and while it is not ideal, it opens the door to MORE PLAYERS, possible REGIONAL SERVERS, and ADJUSTED RULESETS.

The "bones" of MO, as most of us have said, are good. Not only are they good, but they can be stretched in many ways to create many types of games (even cyberpunk, which I suggested once, hue.) Why would SV not work on this opportunity? Imagine a world where world-bosses gave good loot still, but the high tier RMT items were all buy-able from NPCs with gold? Imagine fewer guards! Imagine faster leveling and clade farm. IMAGINE THERE'S NO HAVEN / IT'S EASY IF YOU TRY (music note.)

SVVV. WHYYY NOT. Your pop numbers are a joke if you consider multi boxing. And your servers are still crashing? Let your MO1 pvp-oriented vets help create the rule set for server 2. Watch it fill. Watch people come back. Stop living a boring life.

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
You're still not going to calm down. Do not interfere with our great leader to lead the world to prosperity. Who likes it, he plays and gets a fun, and you are already covered with mold from your wishlist

Reactions: Svaar

Arakal

Jan 9, 2022
I respectfully disagree. The single server is one of the defining aspects of this game, and it is the conflict between various playstyles that drives some of the more interesting conflicts and dynamics in this game. With our relatively low player count, I think it would be folly to divide ourselves between two servers.

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
I respectfully disagree. The single server is one of the defining aspects of this game, and it is the conflict between various playstyles that drives some of the more interesting conflicts and dynamics in this game. With our relatively low player count, I think it would be folly to divide ourselves between two servers.
well done, it should be printed and hung as a banner at the entrance to the game for the particularly stupid

Reactions: Svaar

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

I don't dislike your opinion, but you are thinking of things in a very limited way (no offense, just hear me out.) IMAGINE that there are people who are sitting on the sidelines. We know for a fact that MO server can only hold 2k~ people. We ASSUME that there are not 4k people that wanna play, but I wonder. Even if it's 3000, that's still better?

The unique conflicts and dynamics would still exist on two different servers. One could migrate between two servers. Imagine one ant farm, and all of the things ants can do in the ant farm. Then imagine another ant farm. Sorry, it's hard to stay serious for long, but the logical flaw in your statement is that you assume the same thing can't happen twice, and you assume that there aren't people who quit the game because of A. ruleset B. mechanics or C. just not being able to log in. The game was pretty popular when there were alt servers and you couldn't even do anything on them. It wasn't 'good' because people would just go farm somewhere, but I respectfully believe there are enough people to fill two servers, that's 4000 people. SV has shown that they can duplicate a server that houses 2000 people (I think?) Maybe not, though.

Check out the steam chart curve: https://steamcharts.com/app/1170950#All forgot when they introduced the alt servers, but I am pretty sure that was the only time the game was over 2000. Just food for thought. Don't outright dismiss it. I understand your PoV because I used to think that way, but now that I know there are more than 2k people that would play this game and now that I know there are a bunch of people out there thirsty for a good MMO that think some part of MO is garby (I can't imagine how many people were lost due to server instability; that's a huge issue for people) I really think it would be better for everyone.

BUT y'know do what ya feel.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
You're basically saying, lets not take a chance for what would be normal for an MMO (having at least an NA/EU server) since there is a chance it will make our nearly dead game actually die. The amount of people I personally know and read posting about not wanting to play a FULL LOOT game where ping is very important due to its combat was very high. I remember Asmongolds chat laughing about it. And the "ping normalization" mess Henrik tried to sell everyone is a joke.

The single server is one of the defining aspects of this game
Its one of those things that seems cool, but its just bad for the game in almost every way. We can't have proper siege windows bc of all the timezones for one. The ping differences is another obvious issue. It would be fine if the combat was tab target or something.

I understand not wanting to do it now I suppose, the ship has kinda sailed. For them not to do it on launch of MO2 though after being so heavily requested by the community was absolutely stupid. We even had 3 alt servers going at once to ALLOW people to even log into the game. We sat in 24 hour queues. The game didn't even have a chance to be largely successful. Star Vault didn't allow it.

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
I have suggested it before and I will suggest it again, move the server to the MOON! Then we can have one server, but everyone will have a great ping sometimes. Everyone is happy, right?

I mean by great ping that the ping is better than anyone else's for a while, so everyone can have their window of being the best PvP god. Sure the distance to the moon is "slightly" longer than the distance between Europe and Americas etc., but that is just a tiny obstacle in the path of Henrik's glorious vision.

I can already see the headlines: Mortal Exodus, the first game hosted on the MOON, taking the Unreal Engine to Unreal dimensions! And I'm sure Elon Musk is stupid enough to put 44 billions towards that shit as well, Henrik need only pitch once.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I know it's easy to meme or clown the idea of multiple servers, but it's hard to get around the absolute truth that a single Mortal sever can only house 2000 people before it starts to collapse. I think at some point it was believed that they could raise this ceiling. However, it has not been done. What they have shown the ability to do is... make another server.

Bearing this in mind, the choice is simply: have 2000 people until they add another continent (lol) which will probably be hosted on another server and it still won't fix the problem of 2000 people per continent, so there will be an artificial limitation / more crashing OR have another server to house more people, get more subs, have more chance when one drops the other is still up.

Like having TWO unique worlds would be bad, haha. I do think they would do well to shrink the world and get rid of a lot of the lag causing effects / guards / etherworld... might raise their ceiling to 2500 or 3000, who knows.

Then instead of having some shit like Levia Content you could have Levia on one server and Content on the other :eek: wow.

Arakal

Jan 9, 2022
I don't dislike your opinion, but you are thinking of things in a very limited way (no offense, just hear me out.) IMAGINE that there are people who are sitting on the sidelines. We know for a fact that MO server can only hold 2k~ people. We ASSUME that there are not 4k people that wanna play, but I wonder. Even if it's 3000, that's still better?

The unique conflicts and dynamics would still exist on two different servers. One could migrate between two servers. Imagine one ant farm, and all of the things ants can do in the ant farm. Then imagine another ant farm. Sorry, it's hard to stay serious for long, but the logical flaw in your statement is that you assume the same thing can't happen twice, and you assume that there aren't people who quit the game because of A. ruleset B. mechanics or C. just not being able to log in. The game was pretty popular when there were alt servers and you couldn't even do anything on them. It wasn't 'good' because people would just go farm somewhere, but I respectfully believe there are enough people to fill two servers, that's 4000 people. SV has shown that they can duplicate a server that houses 2000 people (I think?) Maybe not, though.

Check out the steam chart curve: https://steamcharts.com/app/1170950#All forgot when they introduced the alt servers, but I am pretty sure that was the only time the game was over 2000. Just food for thought. Don't outright dismiss it. I understand your PoV because I used to think that way, but now that I know there are more than 2k people that would play this game and now that I know there are a bunch of people out there thirsty for a good MMO that think some part of MO is garby (I can't imagine how many people were lost due to server instability; that's a huge issue for people) I really think it would be better for everyone.

BUT y'know do what ya feel.
My understanding is that you are proposing two different kinds of alternate servers: ones in which the mechanics or rulesets are slightly different, and ones that are hosted in different places for the sake of better ping. These are two very different beasts.

Having a NA server and an EU server for the sake of ping is not an unreasonable suggestion, but does mean that there will be a significantly greater difference in server population over the course of a day. That means less opportunity for player interaction during slow hours- and, though high ping irritates me as a NA player, it's not nearly so bothersome as playing in a ghost town. I am the first to admit that I'm not a terribly talented PVPer, so perhaps the difference is more significant to those who are more skilled than I, but personally I find the advantages of playing with folks from all over the world to be greater than the costs. Overall, I see where the NA server crowd are coming from, but simply prefer the single-shard game.

Having servers with different rulesets, however, I feel less positively about. Your suggestion of having a "hardcore" server implies the existence of a more relaxed server with less conflict. I worry that this could be a push in the direction of having a version of the game with PVP disabled or severely restricted, which I believe is contrary to the essence of the game. Being able to migrate freely between servers with different rules would also mess with the economy- if a material is scarce because of the danger of conflict with other players, and you remove that risk, you make it impossible for folks playing on the "vanilla" server to compete.

All that said, I sympathize with your woes over the server instability. I lost my whole guild to it at the end of beta- with the login issues, they simply lost interest in the game. It took me a long while to find another guild that I liked as well. I wish that the rollout had gone more smoothly, but the incremental improvements Starvault have made has significantly improved stability.
You're basically saying, lets not take a chance for what would be normal for an MMO (having at least an NA/EU server) since there is a chance it will make our nearly dead game actually die. The amount of people I personally know and read posting about not wanting to play a FULL LOOT game where ping is very important due to its combat was very high. I remember Asmongolds chat laughing about it. And the "ping normalization" mess Henrik tried to sell everyone is a joke.

Its one of those things that seems cool, but its just bad for the game in almost every way. We can't have proper siege windows bc of all the timezones for one. The ping differences is another obvious issue. It would be fine if the combat was tab target or something.

I understand not wanting to do it now I suppose, the ship has kinda sailed. For them not to do it on launch of MO2 though after being so heavily requested by the community was absolutely stupid. We even had 3 alt servers going at once to ALLOW people to even log into the game. We sat in 24 hour queues. The game didn't even have a chance to be largely successful. Star Vault didn't allow it.
It's not that I'm averse to risk, but in this case I simply don't think that there is sufficient benefit to balance it out. I would love to see a NA-hosted Sarducca in the future, though!

Reactions: Melhisedek

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Your suggestion of having a "hardcore" server implies the existence of a more relaxed server with less conflict. I worry that this could be a push in the direction of having a version of the game with PVP disabled or severely restricted, which I believe is contrary to the essence of the game. Being able to migrate freely between servers with different rules would also mess with the economy- if a material is scarce because of the danger of conflict with other players, and you remove that risk, you make it impossible for folks playing on the "vanilla" server to compete.
Yeah, people are talking about different things. I am pretty open to whatever because I just strongly believe that there isn't enough room for the people who wanna play. Sure the world is huge and imbalanced in terms of resources, but that doesn't change the limit on players. More servers = more players, as I said, when we had alts there were more players, and when we went back down to 1, there was a time where it was hard to get in again and a bunch of people quit until it settled under 2k.

The thing I am saying, that you may not understand is that MO2, as it is now, is the 'severely restricted pvp server.' It's just changed a lot. I want fewer guards. I want no rep system. e t c. In Mortal 1, when you went to go crush your mats, you had to go to a place where people could gank you and clutch your nuts, or you had to buy a portable device and clutch your nuts as close to town as you could. I don't know if I agree with them making it so you are THAT wide open again, but some level of risk would be nice, especially now that timers are so low. I'm not saying change anything about MO2 server now. That IS the empire building 'soft server.' I'm saying it would be nice to have a more 'open' server in terms of pvp.

The economy would not be an issue because the idea of having two different servers would mean that your migration would be YOU. The bank would be separate and prol even the character would be separate. It would be a diff world. Same 'base (altho if they could change that and shrink it to make more sense for the 2k people they can host, that would be even better!)'

Making Sardu NA would be a slap, in some ways, because Sardu was not really it. I enjoyed it for what it was (MA farm, place to get aloe vera), as I said before, I would walk there sometimes... I did a lot of time wasting things to see what happened. MO was so dead I walked from Bakti to Belrim multiple times and only died a couple, the biggest risk was strafing bugs cuz once you got one of those aggro'd on foot, you were pretty much done. One time I think I got zerged down, one time some naked red who was statting up tried to fight me (which is funny cuz I wasn't gonna bother him... it's like well if you want more stat loss bud.)

But yeah, NA would BE AWESOME, but I just think that's way beyond the realm of possibility at this point. A second server seems feasible as they have done it before. It would make the game split for a sec until all of the spots were taken, the idea of making it a little different, and making the server 'wiped clean' would be to bring back a lot of the people who left due to being unhappy with the rules of MO2. Another often retold story: I played MO w/ my friend for the last time and he was like LEZGO and we went out around Duli and for some reason he wasn't thinking about even going far. He hadn't played in awhile, I think, so he didn't know about the guards around Duli GY... so we go in on this poor nub ( lol sorry to him, but he got two sets of pansar carp gear out of it) and get absolutely demolished by guards. Dude was like this game is fking dead to me. lol. And I feel it. I am not THAT worried about all that stuff, but I see why it is bothersome because MO1... was not like that at all. When people got super bored, they would go fight in GY. The only GY with a guard presence was Tindrem back in da day, and even then you'd have to drag them in. I guess you could drag other guards if you tried super hard, but you didn't just get insta-blown for fighting in the GY.