Camera shake during walk is not actually a realistic feature

Forecore

Apr 18, 2021
Camera shake during walking has been a staple feature of MO1 and now MO2. However there is no 'camera' shaking in real life when you walk.

I am a big first person game fan and I am also coming from a flight simulator background. In flight sim community there is a lot discussion on this where a number studies done show how human bodies/brain/eye adopt to smaller movement and normalize them. Human brain/eye are trained to coordinate and cancel out the 'shaking' that occurs frequently like when you walk . A simple experiment would be put a mirror far away, and walk toward it. You don't experience any shaking.

My suggestion is keep 'shaking' as is for most activity like running and riding. However remove it from walking or make it less. MO2 is trying to be more accessible and I think tiny change will go a long way. It is a big distraction walking in a town towards a vendor and everything is shaking.

I know I am questioning a staple feature of MO that is loved by many, but I want to put a different point of view out there.

Erwinicus

Mar 22, 2021
Just an option to turn it off would be nice. Though gotta say after playing a while you don't really notice it that much.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I have to agree that it does make it harder to aim when you are moving and casting. Removing it would make all aiming a lot easier but eapecially aiming spells and bows.

however the feeling of the whole game would be mich more floaty.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Camera shake during walking has been a staple feature of MO1 and now MO2. However there is no 'camera' shaking in real life when you walk.

I am a big first person game fan and I am also coming from a flight simulator background. In flight sim community there is a lot discussion on this where a number studies done show how human bodies/brain/eye adopt to smaller movement and normalize them. Human brain/eye are trained to coordinate and cancel out the 'shaking' that occurs frequently like when you walk . A simple experiment would be put a mirror far away, and walk toward it. You don't experience any shaking.

My suggestion is keep 'shaking' as is for most activity like running and riding. However remove it from walking or make it less. MO2 is trying to be more accessible and I think tiny change will go a long way. It is a big distraction walking in a town towards a vendor and everything is shaking.

I know I am questioning a staple feature of MO that is loved by many, but I want to put a different point of view out there.
Saccadic blindness is real-- you don't see the streaks / blurs / 'in-between' images when you move your eyes, with or without your whole head.
The normal brain doesn't allow it.
The things you do see as a blur are moving rapidly themselves.
Unless in-game screen shakes have a reason for being, aside from 'realism', they have no real purpose.

Last edited:

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Make it a toggle for walking/sprinting without a weapon drawn. I know that there is the motion sickness argument too and this gets exasperated more given we're in first person.

Reactions: Forecore

Forecore

Apr 18, 2021
Make it a toggle for walking/sprinting without a weapon drawn. I know that there is the motion sickness argument too and this gets exasperated more given we're in first person.

Exactly this. 80% of the time player are not in combat mode they are either traveling, crafting, and camera shake serves no purpose. This will make the game more accessible for people who gets motion sickness.

Reactions: Najwalaylah