Bows change

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
After the patch a fully drawn bow Asym decurv and my arrow hit the ground at 30 metres
fix this please you can see it very much on the second arrow , it should hit the house, but it drops suddently and hit the ground.
Velocity got decreased by a lot it seems
it was very fine pre-patch...Dunno if the change is intented ..

After a few testing it seems Short decurve bow is having basically the same range as Asym decurv

Last edited:

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
Archery has become terrible for me personally. It feels like I'm not shooting an arrow but shooting a spear from a bow. The flight speed of the arrow became very slow. Why did you change this value? The archers were dynamic as they should be. You are slowing down the battle again, why is it not clear?

Reactions: Xunila

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Archery has become terrible for me personally. It feels like I'm not shooting an arrow but shooting a spear from a bow. The flight speed of the arrow became very slow. Why did you change this value? The archers were dynamic as they should be. You are slowing down the battle again, why is it not clear?
I kinda like the speed tbh you can actually dodge the arrows now, feels more like rust than csgo. Bullet like arrows were too op for the slow movespeed imo

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
I kinda like the speed tbh you can actually dodge the arrows now, feels more like rust than csgo. Bullet like arrows were too op for the slow movespeed imo
what prevented you from dodging arrows in the previous patch? I am speaking now from the user's side of the bow. playing with a bow now does not make sense, it has become completely unintuitive. now you cannot calculate the trajectory of the hit, the tension of the erase has become slow, the speed of the arrow has become slow, there is a spread of the target when aiming. in dynamics, you hit the character with a shot for good luck and not using the calculation of the movement and the trajectory of the arrow falling. how can you say that he has become normal? I, as a person who often used bows, do not understand this.

Last edited:

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
I should prolly log in and double-check my memory before posting, but I don't think /togglebowaimstyle is persistent; once you change to your sword, and come back to bow, I think you have to type it again.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
pro - at close range the aiming reticle is quite accurate, also like the no reticle option.
con - the range / trajectory has dropped off sharply, the previous range was pretty long assuming you could ignore the reticle and practice aiming.

suggestion - current aiming options with maybe halfway to previous range / trajectory would still encourage archers but currently it does feel a bit like a 'nerf' bow :)

1608109092691.png

Reactions: Svaar

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
pro - at close range the aiming reticle is quite accurate, also like the no reticle option.
con - the range / trajectory has dropped off sharply, the previous range was pretty long assuming you could ignore the reticle and practice aiming.

suggestion - current aiming options with maybe halfway to previous range / trajectory would still encourage archers but currently it does feel a bit like a 'nerf' bow :)

View attachment 555
rather like that =)) bow for me now
5a43ba1424ed7.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Vagrant

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
I understand some people wanted to have the "aim with arrow" thing (personal preference i guess, personally I think it sucked in MO1 and it still does).

however the cost of adding this was that now the whole archery feels completely off. the crosshair spasming around and landing on the right of where it normally is very weird (forcing you to slightly move left to adjust if you are moving)

it felt much better before when the animation was not linked with the crossair, because it didn't need to be. right now the option /archerytypeetcetc does nothing more than removing the crosshair, pretty much forcing everyone to aim with the arrow tip but with the option to choose between having the crosshair helping you or not.

aiming with arrow is an overrated gimmick anyhow, the crosshair is much more reliable and makes the animation look better. consider reverting back.

Reactions: sigrace and Svaar

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
I understand some people wanted to have the "aim with arrow" thing (personal preference i guess, personally I think it sucked in MO1 and it still does).

however the cost of adding this was that now the whole archery feels completely off. the crosshair spasming around and landing on the right of where it normally is very weird (forcing you to slightly move left to adjust if you are moving)

it felt much better before when the animation was not linked with the crossair, because it didn't need to be. right now the option /archerytypeetcetc does nothing more than removing the crosshair, pretty much forcing everyone to aim with the arrow tip but with the option to choose between having the crosshair helping you or not.

aiming with arrow is an overrated gimmick anyhow, the crosshair is much more reliable and makes the animation look better. consider reverting back.
try to aim with the arrowhead at a long distance =) you will not aim with the arrowhead but with the wrist.
aiming with the tip works very close range.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
try to aim with the arrowhead at a long distance =) you will not aim with the arrowhead but with the wrist.
aiming with the tip works very close range.

one of the more reason to revert this change and go back to aim with the crosshair :D! animation looked good, reliable, and rewarded skill.

just now i had 5 arrows miss a stuck springbok 5 meters away from me. aiming with both crosshair and arrow tip

ps: alternatively, make both modes of aiming available, but the "crosshair" one to be the previous version, where the crosshair is NOT linked to the animation and arrow tip/wrist as it is now, whereas the "no crosshair mode" stays what we have now without the crosshair in the ui (I guess for the hardocore RPers).

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
i think the speed in itself isnt THAT bad. My issue is more : at 30 metres or so it suddently stop ,like it encounter a magical force. Imo the velocity should slowly decrease over distance. If anything i have to say i enjoyed more pre patch. And i can hit the same now so it's not a matter of how effective i am with bow, it is more about feeling , right now its does not feel natural. it feel like svaar said like you are shooting spears.
Anyway if people like it that way ... i guess i already adapted. But it is less pleasant, i dont think it was a necessary change, i don't know yet if it was intented too...

this has strictly nothing to do with this. im not discussing the aiming in itself ,but the velocity of the arrows. Aiming works fine, people like it or not, but it works fine.

Reactions: T00_EL1TE

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
i think the speed in itself isnt THAT bad. My issue is more : at 30 metres or so it suddently stop ,like it encounter a magical force. Imo the velocity should slowly decrease over distance. If anything i have to say i enjoyed more pre patch. And i can hit the same now so it's not a matter of how effective i am with bow, it is more about feeling , right now its does not feel natural. it feel like svaar said like you are shooting spears.
Anyway if people like it that way ... i guess i already adapted. But it is less pleasant, i dont think it was a necessary change, i don't know yet if it was intented too...

this has strictly nothing to do with this. im not discussing the aiming in itself ,but the velocity of the arrows. Aiming works fine, people like it or not, but it works fine.
Now the bow is: Slow tension, spread target when aiming, slow arrow speed, spread on hit. This is all the point that negates the use of a bow in dynamics and massive battles. Now, to hit the player, you shoot for luck, you cannot calculate the trajectory as it is random. Previously, I could calculate the flight of an arrow and send it to the front of the player's movement and it hit the right place, now the player has time to make two movements to the left and right and the arrow is still flying =) this is not normal in my opinion. and in general I do not understand why it was necessary to spend a lot of time working with the bow when there are a bunch of other priority things in the game that need to be fixed or added.

Reactions: Grasthard

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
Now the bow is: Slow tension, spread target when aiming, slow arrow speed, spread on hit. This is all the point that negates the use of a bow in dynamics and massive battles. Now, to hit the player, you shoot for luck, you cannot calculate the trajectory as it is random. Previously, I could calculate the flight of an arrow and send it to the front of the player's movement and it hit the right place, now the player has time to make two movements to the left and right and the arrow is still flying =) this is not normal in my opinion. and in general I do not understand why it was necessary to spend a lot of time working with the bow when there are a bunch of other priority things in the game that need to be fixed or added.

especially when the previous versions worked and felt better.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
especially when the previous versions worked and felt better.
just before this patch, bows suited everyone, but for some reason they had to be touched now ... the maximum that could be done was to increase the consumption of stamina for each shot from the bow in order to reduce the spam of shots and add a drop in the bow tension when the archer gets damaged. all! everything else worked great! I hope the developers will make the right conclusions, roll back archery and make these adjustments.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
just before this patch, bows suited everyone, but for some reason they had to be touched now ... the maximum that could be done was to increase the consumption of stamina for each shot from the bow in order to reduce the spam of shots and add a drop in the bow tension when the archer gets damaged. all! everything else worked great! I hope the developers will make the right conclusions, roll back archery and make these adjustments.

yes.

[AF]Tyrone

Dec 17, 2020
Reticule is still way better than the arrow, and now it kinda has a milsim aiming vibe to it.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Honestly, looking at the first video, while the drop of the second shot at the end seems a bit off, I'm not so sure it should hit the house at that angle. Ballistic curves aren't straight. :p We also don't know what other attributes and skills play into how far you can shoot.
Any aiming indicator should never be a perfect for a projectile no matter the distance.

Reactions: T00_EL1TE

Valoran

May 28, 2020
After the patch a fully drawn bow Asym decurv and my arrow hit the ground at 30 metres
fix this please you can see it very much on the second arrow , it should hit the house, but it drops suddently and hit the ground.
Velocity got decreased by a lot it seems
it was very fine pre-patch...Dunno if the change is intented ..

After a few testing it seems Short decurve bow is having basically the same range as Asym decurv
The angle you're aiming at in the first video should not hit the house.

Kallus (One of the devs) has said that the current archery system uses an accurate projectile that goes exactly where the arrow is actually pointing, the reticle simply shows you where the arrow is pointing on screen.

You also have to factor in that they have gone for realism here, and that thick wooden longbow arrows with metal heads on them are heavier than modern aluminium / carbon fiber arrows, and as such will travel slower and lose more speed quicker.

The old system didn't line up the animation with where the arrow was actually going, so it was changed.

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
The angle you're aiming at in the first video should not hit the house.

Kallus (One of the devs) has said that the current archery system uses an accurate projectile that goes exactly where the arrow is actually pointing, the reticle simply shows you where the arrow is pointing on screen.

You also have to factor in that they have gone for realism here, and that thick wooden longbow arrows with metal heads on them are heavier than modern aluminium / carbon fiber arrows, and as such will travel slower and lose more speed quicker.

The old system didn't line up the animation with where the arrow was actually going, so it was changed.
the second shot yes, it was shooting the house prepatch, certainly not falling like that.
i dont know why you talk about moderns bow at all, this isnt the topic, we aint comparing the modern bows with bows made in a video game. Im refering to the speed of arrows that was fine pre patch.
nothing related to the "old system" aiming as well. I perfectly know how to aim no worries. It isnt related to how i use bow. It isnt a client sided issue.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
the second shot yes, it was shooting the house prepatch, certainly not falling like that.
i dont know why you talk about moderns bow at all, this isnt the topic, we aint comparing the modern bows with bows made in a video game. Im refering to the speed of arrows that was fine pre patch.
nothing related to the "old system" aiming as well. I perfectly know how to aim no worries. It isnt related to how i use bow. It isnt a client sided issue.
In the previous patch the aiming system did not line up with the arrow angle correctly, so now that it actually lines up, you have to aim higher to get the same distance.

The reason for my comments about modern arrows was that you shouldn't expect this type of arrow to not drop that much, whereas a modern arrow may actually hit closer to the house at that angle, and many people on this forum have made that assumption so I was just making sure that's not what was going on here.

The speed of the arrows in game now seems to be accurate to their real life equivalents, which was the goal. Henrik and SV are always trying to make things as close to real life as possible.

The main issue I have at the moment with archery is that the tracer is basically invisible during the day, so you can't adjust from shot to shot as you have no feedback on where the arrow went.

Other than that i'm loving it.