Book reading time

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
At least it isn’t EVE online *fondly remembers month long skills*.
Maybe up your int?

Branjolf

May 22, 2021
Upping your int worked in MO1, now you cant just gimp your character for a week ....

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
I don't know what you mean, I loved having to wait 480 hours for my low IQ oghmir warrior to finish reading Waterstone lore. Very engaging and thrilling gameplay.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Well sounds like someone didnt think out their build before they started. You could have started by reading all of the harder books while grinding those skills. Like mining and making waterstone while you are reading the book. Then working back to the easier skills to read. Once done lower your INT to where you need it. Funny how that works.

Reactions: Rynnik

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Well sounds like someone didnt think out their build before they started. You could have started by reading all of the harder books while grinding those skills. Like mining and making waterstone while you are reading the book. Then working back to the easier skills to read. Once done lower your INT to where you need it. Funny how that works.
Yes, I should have farmed the gold on a gimped warrior, so I can travel around the map getting all the books required to complete a Warrior/MA/Refiner/extractor build, so I could prioritize the long books and not play the game.

So I could avoid having to farm and play the game on a non gimped character, and then gimping my char everytime I needed to read long books and grind skills. Great idea champ.

Again, very engaging and thrilling gameplay.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I actually did that @Hodo, to differing results. Like MA or Mounted Charge is still 160+ hours w/ 80 int and 20% human buff, that's like ?????? Int does help, but not that much. It's really bad around 10 int, but I think if you push up to 35 (I'm goin all the way back down to min now,) but from my limited testing you get cut offs on time at various points and I think around 35 is the first big cut. Then you gotta go way up, I mean I imagine if you are 100+ then yea you read like a champ. I had a human spec build that I was gonna use that would have had 100 int and 110 str + att points, but I chose the extra dex + con. I think Dex is gonna really matter even for mounted now. 100+ dex Khur handles real nice on a mount.

The thing is, it's not really consistent. 48 hr book at 10 int is kinda whatever, but there are books that take WAY LONGER. Reading steel or whatever in about 12 hrs w/ 80 int + buff was pretty decent. And now once you get 70 in something, at least w/ the wep skills, it's a viable wep. Then there are books that read to like 54 tho heh. Extraction gains are really OP tho. I mean, for awhile Ama was like 20g a stack, you could max it straight out off that. Even w/ something like plate scale or jade, getting tiny gains, you still get a bunch of points per extract. But yea the book thing is... weird. And the times it quotes are not right, either.

It's a cool system but I think they could flesh it further. Like imagine having a library of books that you could choose from when you log out, increase reading speed. I end up stopping books, popping something essential for a lore, then going back to the same book. But yea action helps a lot of skills. OH speaking of books that FUCKING SUCK to read, armor training anyone? lol wtf is up with that. But It'd be nice if a book popped you at like 40-50, didn't do anything while you were online then you choose which book to read ( that you owned) when you were logged off and each 24 hrs or whatever it would bump your shit, max of two days for a full bump. - shrug - would also be nice to be able to refresh your memory of something instead of having to do the whole damn thing over again.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
No offense but... you all are going about this all backwards.

You read the book say Mounted Archery... then go out on a mount and hunt things.. sprinboks, bears, wolves, bandits, chickens, people, what ever you want. Just shooting from your mount or on foot as an archer. It took me a couple of days to get to 80 mounted archery playing a couple hours a day. I went out shot undead in the graveyard, then went running parcels from one town to another shooting anything that moved, picking up the body and butchering it in the destination town. Same can be done for MC grind.

When I did waterstone or any of the extraction skills, I start the book and then do my mining and extraction as if I already had the skill maxed. Sure I am losing a lot but I am also gaining skill far faster than waiting for a 200+ hour book.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
No offense but... you all are going about this all backwards.

You read the book say Mounted Archery... then go out on a mount and hunt things.. sprinboks, bears, wolves, bandits, chickens, people, what ever you want. Just shooting from your mount or on foot as an archer. It took me a couple of days to get to 80 mounted archery playing a couple hours a day. I went out shot undead in the graveyard, then went running parcels from one town to another shooting anything that moved, picking up the body and butchering it in the destination town. Same can be done for MC grind.

When I did waterstone or any of the extraction skills, I start the book and then do my mining and extraction as if I already had the skill maxed. Sure I am losing a lot but I am also gaining skill far faster than waiting for a 200+ hour book.
Sorry, not everyone is content with being a Pacifist PvE lord and willing to suck SV dong over tedious game design. Tedium is needed, but certain elements within MO2 need tweaking to make things less tedious. You might be willing to waste expensive materials because you like the grind and don't care, but people prefer to actually play more than afk farming a rock, then afk crushing...which again, more tedium.

Time sinks are needed, but SV has a habit of making certain things overly tedious for no reason.

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
MO2 has a super fast and easy character progression system. Especially compared to other similar games of the genre did. Sorry that waterstone lore is really holding back your PvP success! Maybe your aren’t the l33tpwnowzer you think you are.

Builds have trade offs. If you want to tank int like I do then you suck it up or play with interim stats. Think through the system, you can’t ignore an entire aspect of the game and level up for 45 minutes to be ready for your pvp match. That game is called League.

Reactions: Hodo

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
MO2 has a super fast and easy character progression system. Especially compared to other similar games of the genre did. Sorry that waterstone lore is really holding back your PvP success! Maybe your aren’t the l33tpwnowzer you think you are.

Builds have trade offs. If you want to tank int like I do then you suck it up or play with interim stats. Think through the system, you can’t ignore an entire aspect of the game and level up for 45 minutes to be ready for your pvp match. That game is called League.
MO2 character progression is mix n match, depending on what you're levelling and focusing on. Combat/Action skills are pretty fast and can max them out in 1 - 3 days depending on what skills you're focusing on, especially with macro use. Spiritism leveling for example is tedious compared to Ecumenical as an example.

Crafting skills and lores are very inconsistent too. Most people think it's fast because they're farming T1 materials and maybe a few T2 materials, then using these to make average armors and weapons, maybe cheap 20HP Potions or something. When you start getting into T2 materials, so you can start focusing on T3 materials, is when a lot of tedium comes into play, especially if mining/extracting/refining - Due to the amount time invested for mining and extracting, let alone the grind to level lores and machine skills. There needs to be tedium for balance and economy reasons...but things like 480 hour read time(literally 20 days) is absurd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finnley

Finnley

Jul 8, 2020

45minutes =/= 48hours
Please do the math on leveling passive regeneration
Please do the math on leveling subsisting

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
...but things like 480 hour read time(literally 20 days) is absurd.
No, no it isn’t. Especially if it is a secondary that you never have to level again even if you play for a decade.

I’d argue you were wrong if your example was months. And you are still ignoring that 480 hrs is modified by character attributes and skills.

45minutes =/= 48hours
Please do the math on leveling passive regeneration
Please do the math on leveling subsisting
I’m leveling passive regen as we speak ironically. Nothing wrong with it. Grow up entitled “I want everything instantly or it isn’t fun” child.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Sorry, not everyone is content with being a Pacifist PvE lord and willing to suck SV dong over tedious game design. Tedium is needed, but certain elements within MO2 need tweaking to make things less tedious. You might be willing to waste expensive materials because you like the grind and don't care, but people prefer to actually play more than afk farming a rock, then afk crushing...which again, more tedium.

Time sinks are needed, but SV has a habit of making certain things overly tedious for no reason.

Not a PVE Pacifist lord. I am just patient and know that sometimes you have to work to achieve something. Sorry I wasnt given a participation award just for breathing.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
No, no it isn’t. Especially if it is a secondary that you never have to level again even if you play for a decade.

I’d argue you were wrong if your example was months. And you are still ignoring that 480 hrs is modified by character attributes and skills.
480 hours for a single book is absurd, no matter the lack of int read bonus on a warrior. The lore is a T2 material, which has a longer read time that most other T2 materials and even T3 materials. It's inconsistent, not just in this example but across the board in both other areas within Action and profession skill trees.

Again, tedium is needed for balance and economic reasons, but there's some extreme tedium that makes 0 sense and is out of place. This has been an issue since MO1, and SV said they would look to improve these inconsistencies...but very little of that has happened.

Not a PVE Pacifist lord. I am just patient and know that sometimes you have to work to achieve something. Sorry I wasnt given a participation award just for breathing.
I don't know mate, a lot of your forum posting is disregarding peoples constructive criticism with a lot of the PvE elements within MO2. You come off like you might have a brown tip to your nose. No one is asking for instant gratification, there needs to be balance amongst the tedium. Balance that makes sense and turns the game less into a Afk watch netflix simulator.

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
480 hours for a single book is absurd, no matter the lack of int read bonus on a warrior. The lore is a T2 material, which has a longer read time that most other T2 materials and even T3 materials. It's inconsistent, not just in this example but across the board in both other areas within Action and profession skill trees.

Again, tedium is needed for balance and economic reasons, but there's some extreme tedium that makes 0 sense and is out of place. This has been an issue since MO1, and SV said they would look to improve these inconsistencies...but very little of that has happened.

I don't know mate, a lot of your forum posting is disregarding peoples constructive criticism with a lot of the PvE elements within MO2. You come off like you might have a brown tip to your nose. No one is asking for instant gratification, there needs to be balance amongst the tedium. Balance that makes sense and turns the game less into a Afk watch netflix simulator.
Most games go that route. Then they shut down a few years later. If I’ve learned one thing playing MMOs over the years it is the player base generally has no idea what is actually good for a game and devs following player demands usually destroy their own creation. I enjoy giving a counter voice to your and other peoples whining for that reason.

You say the tedium needs to be balanced. You are right of course. It does and if anything character development should take longer. I don’t support making books be faster especially for characters building without int - trade offs are good.

If you want to power level your lore use it - accept the material cost of raising the skill by doing if youdon’t accept the time cost of leveling by reading.

Finnley

Jul 8, 2020

I’m leveling passive regen as we speak ironically. Nothing wrong with it. Grow up entitled “I want everything instantly or it isn’t fun” child.
leveling 70+ passive regeneration takes around 3,5 hours per skill point of not beeing full HP so please dont tell me you are leveling passive regeneration

Last edited:

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
leveling 70+ passive regeneration takes around 3,5 hours per skill point of not beeing full HP so please dont tell me you are leveling passive regeneration
No point trying to debate with him. He reminds me of those Wurm players, all about the immersion of character progression and months long time sinks.

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
Who said anything about 70+? This thread is about reading?

Forget the game. You have other reading comprehension issues.
No point trying to debate with him. He reminds me of those Wurm players, all about the immersion of character progression and months long time sinks.
We could have a debate if you had an argument.

You haven’t given a reason beyond ‘it’s ridiculous’ and ‘I don’t like it’ and ‘waaaaaah’. You have to come up with actual articulated reasons otherwise this is just an airing of two opposing opinions, and I’m more than happy to continually point out how over tried and provenly failed your perspective is.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
We could have a debate if you had an argument.

You haven’t given a reason beyond ‘it’s ridiculous’ and ‘I don’t like it’ and ‘waaaaaah’. You have to come up with actual articulated reasons otherwise this is just an airing of two opposing opinions, and I’m more than happy to continually point out how over tried and provenly failed your perspective is.
One of the most complained things amongst veterans in the first game, was how tedious certain elements of MO1 was. The amount of "AFK" gameplay was taking it's toll on the players(especially after 10 years), even more so as the game expanded and more was added. Now with the world being 6x that of the original, everything is a major time investment, and not too much has changed to accommodate this change. This is excluding additional tedium from game related issues, like mount pathing, the new sliding bug where people violently vibrate then take 100s - 1000s of fall damage, node lines eating pets...Cheaters farming bosses and killing those farming them etc making the whole experience even worse and more tedious.

I will give credit with SV lowering some timers compared to the first game, and some timers aren't present(though I'm sure this will change). But we are missing basic features still, like portable machines(Crushers & Attractors), extraction queuing etc which would help negate certain aspects of tedium.

With the world being 6x larger and travel times taking 6x longer, book times of 100s of hours is absurd if there's no proper balance made else ware. All it does is add to the list of things, that increase the progression gap between the working man, casuals and neckbeards. This element will always present, as time investment pays off - But it's the small things, if balanced well that can help negate this aspect.

This isn't some Asian grindfest MMO, this isn't Wurm online, this isn't Life is Feudal MMO, where game design is focused around grind progression and time investment being a huge element of the overall gameplay. SV has acknowledged a lot of times, that MO1 was almost like a second job and changes were going to be made, to reduce this aspect for MO2.....but as we can very well much see, not a lot has been done in this aspect.

Reading your first message on these forums, gives a good grasp on the type of gameplay you're after. Which is why you disregard everything.
"Reading a good book while mining is one of the great MMO experiences! So happy to have it realized again in this game."

Reactions: C3ncio