Archery Balance

Is archery balanced?

• Yes, but favors fully skilled MA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
yeah game has no acceloration or deacceloration so with the slow projectile speed you cant predict where the player will be if they are actively attempting to not get hit.

It caps the skill ceiling and is one aspect that makes foot archer unviable.

If they want to make archery a viable gameplay style and content they need to up the arrow velocity so players with higher skill have a possibility to hit moving targets.

In a FPS sense the players move way to fast but you cant slow them down because of how much other game systems and balancing that would affect.
For a easier representation of this you can see how hard it is to aim, and track a spirt when you are trying to zap their kau away. Same situation but its much more watered down for living gameplay.

Other issues they need to adress in time to make archery a viable source of gameplay content and play style is how poorly it scales against opposing gear like steel armor. But right now archeries cost is super low so making it viable against steel is not fair from a cost perspective. Fletching and adjustments to arrows could fix the issue or being super strong against nakes/bad armor but super weak against decent gear to the point its not viable. fletch your own steel arrows to be ok against steel but a ogh arrow would not be too much better then a steel one against steel. but ogh v ogh it would be comparable to steel v steel.

If you fix these two things and maybe adjust stamina then foot archery could be viable option.

If along with these two things you also adjust several mount issues and apply some counters to MAs then MA would be viable in actual fights but nerfed against killing a horse and running away.

Talking about adding more health to mounts, possibly buffing mount armor, and applying a speed penalty to mounts based on how much health they lost.

Or perhaps slowing down players the same way mounts are with armor and equipment weight. Just a thought.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Or perhaps slowing down players the same way mounts are with armor and equipment weight. Just a thought.
That would not work because you would need to slow them down by a lot which would break game balance. You want speed to have the lease amount of variance.
Also armor slowing people down while it already harms your stamina regen is over kill. You would pretty much make armor useless for high level players.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
That would not work because you would need to slow them down by a lot which would break game balance. You want speed to have the lease amount of variance.
Also armor slowing people down while it already harms your stamina regen is over kill. You would pretty much make armor useless for high level players.

As already pointed out the stamina penalty is barely noticeable. If you're rocking heavy 26kg armor with max skills you're barely at 70% stamina regen penalty. Hell if a horse puts on 26kg of armor it moves at 60% of its normal speed...

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Altho it is the top cheez playstyle due to poor game balance overall, archery in mo is GOOD. It's one of the top points in MO, but w/o the crosshair of course. You add in more arrow speed + cross hair and you might as well be on a horse w/ a six shooter.

If they made it so you could fire a bit faster on the ground and maybe get a different view point, like a bit zoomed, as a 'snipe shot' or w/e that would be cool imo. But get that wack ass crosshair out of the game, step 1.

I am a pretty mediocre archer (tho I do have some moments where I fire wild shit, but I have misfires so.) It's especially pronounced in how I have to adjust to the conditions of an environment. Leading arrows into spots is fine and should be how archery works vs fast moving people, but lag especially makes each condition different, and trying to string an arrow thru a moving target is just not the same. It's already hard to hit something moving straight on a first shot. I don't think archery should be changed except it is pretty hard on stam. I wonder how hard it is to run with a bow drawn haha. People say you stop to shoot, well you can draw it while you are running then stop if you wish. I think lag + stam are the only problems really. Shorties aren't meant to mess w/ steel and a good long bow can kinda do dmg to it, plus a longbow shoots straight and fast.

They just need a hitbox that is a bit wider in dimensions probably. So you can be running and still get it and 'pretend like' you really got hit and weren't moving around crazy w/ mad lag. I mean getting CLOSE to a person is tough, too. Let those be hits, give a little 'adjustment' for foot players, wider zone, due to lag and mobility. - shrug -