Another try @repsystem

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Still bussin my brain on diz because this is gonna affect my desire to play the game sub-wise. It's already affected me in beta, and I'm not someone who is thrilled by taking out my issues with lack of control in real life on people in games (ohhhh.) The thing is, you are building something that is going to be... close but not as bad as walls, because you're building a system where the most devious guild can hold a keep, have their blues milling about in your face and not be able to do much unless you are "a dedicated griefer," yet, their 'pvpers' can swoop in and kill you whenever you stand in the way of said blues. It's basically creating another high-functioning sociopath pyramid, and I don't like that even tho... I may or may not be able to succeed at that game (when looked at as a game, I can succeed in almost anything - anime tooth - ,) but my contention is (and yea we're getting into a longer post than I wanted because my preface is dragging,) a game like EVE (tho I never played it) seems to mimic a capitalistic society in 'order,' to me, most people would say the goal of a sandbox is freedom, but I would say the goal of a sandbox is EQUALITY. That is, anyone, whether their tag or TC or w/e, if they work, they can get stuff done and be a productive member. True or na? It's just hard to imagine a sandbox without 'hardcore pvp mechanics,' even if it is not advertised as such. So, here is my much shorter hot take on the rep system (that I already posted on steam in a thread!), and also @Toerin I've been reading your posts a bit and I would love to speak with you in private. I feel you are missing some things, but I don't think a lot of the people here have the finesse to get thru to you.

And yea MoFo mods donut delete forum accts, so I'll be back n forth!

Suggestion:

Negative rep = you can't res in cities. THIS SHOULD BE PER CITY. Sooo underbaked like no horse strength to have basically two types of rep. SO UNDERBAKED. Ahem. So that's -1.

Negative rep (no set number, but let's say for fun) -25, you are local grey in that territory, outside of cities' 'guard zone.' You will be open for pvp, you will be able to be hit by other open for pvp people with no consequence (this also works in favor of citizens who want to pvp, so they won't have to worry about hitting a bud, much like guildies would be.) If you have reputation with its citizens tho, you won't get pked by them very much and you will still get fights with blues who are all about trying to profit off greys (which is cool tbh, to me??)

Negative rep (massive number? let's say) -50, you are KoS by guards in the GZ. This isn't gonna be an exact science because remember NUMBERS CANNOT EXPRESS BEHAVIOR. Language barely can! This should be something 'low' enough that you almost have to TRY to get.

Rep this should be a number you'd gain by living daily city life, selling things on broker, killing people griefing GY, PvPing in 'city defense.' Etc.

Each city should be like its own diverse keep. The reason I/we(yes you want this, you just dunno yet!) is because nobody should be forced to tag a large member guild to do anything and being extremely limited and unable to live out of a city because of a rep system is SUPER WACK. Doesn't mean you're not gonna get farmed by said strongarm guild while you are local grey, but at least you have the ability to do your own thing in the city and go around and live your life. And you can have citizen v strongarm guild fights where people don't end up not being able to enter a city where as big guilds can just go back to keeps/large TCs.

Edit: and also raise rep loss for directly killing IN A CITY. Aka 'griefing' to most people.

Edit 2: I feel the people who might oppose this are those who wanna go around and be a massive prick but not PK, and thus be immune to player 'actions.' I think if you wanna say actions should have consequences, so should being a massive prick ;)

Really read my suggestion. Tell me U MAD? Tell me this is not about as good of a suggestion as can be made with accounting for a rep system, and tell me why a rep system like this doesn't completely remove the need for a flag system, except for making it so that there should be some timer after you killed/looted someone (regardless imo of rep) that you can't just run into the city without being guard-stomped.

SV, PEY MEH MAY MYONEY. And I hope this thread doesn't get moderated! I'm trying to work within the limits you guys set. Unlike 95% of the mad people on this issue, I am actually trying to brainstorm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
EQUALITY. That is, anyone, whether their tag or TC or w/e, if they work, they can get stuff done and be a productive member.
Sounds about right, sort of the logical converse of what Aralis said in his guild interview with Putzin: "People don't quit bacause they lose; people quit when they realise that there is no way to win."

Seems like a rack of sound ideas you have, capable of accomplishment without getting rid of things that Star Vault will never get rid of.