Advanced Combat Turorial for Swords (How to feint a repost)

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020

I apologize for the poor graphics and lag. The Video was recorded with my old Laptop. These Feints after a Repost are not easy to do. If you do them too slow and cancel the first attack too late, you will deal nearly no damage. Only use them if you can do them consistant. This take some practice, but I love this new mechanic. That brings a lot more depth to the combat system. Now you don´t need to spin arround anymore
360 degrees in Duels !
The Spins were used, becuase there was no alternative mechanics which we now finally have !

Good Job Starvault.

Credits go to Pockets. He told me about the new Mechanic !

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I think it is a very nice mechanic, and i would love if this mechanic get further expended like recommended in this video. The second hit after a fully charhed feinted attack should count as a Comboswing, that only have to be charged for 1 Second, instead of 2,5 Seconds. This should be skillbased. This should only work if you do it at the maximum Charge of the attack, when the circle is about to glow.

Reactions: Kano

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Here a Video and a screenshot for new Players that help them to read the Spear animation, becuase new Players somethimes have propblems to read the animation.
As you can see in the screenshot, the player holds the spear further in the air during the right attack
and the forearm is bent back. The secret behind spears is to attack from the right angle, so that the player cannot see the back arm, which is much farther away from the body dring a right attack. You want to use the compass to keep the proper angle.

During the right attack you have to aim a little down so that the spear always keeps the same height during your middle and right attacks.

54c23eaa236510d6.jpg

Here is a nice video from Draculina to show new Players how it looks from the
First person perspective, if the spear is used correctly.

With the new mechanics (mentioned in the first Post) you won´t not see much Players spinning arround in Duels anymore.
These are not used in teamfights anyway, becuase you need to keep the track of your enemys, you might need to block several opponents and the risk of huring your own team would simply be to high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moored

Moored

Mar 24, 2021
When did they make this change? This seems a nightmare for 150+ ping players...

Valoran

May 28, 2020
It's not a new mechanic, it's a bug.

Time will tell if they'll keep it around though.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
When did they make this change? This seems a nightmare for 150+ ping players...

In the upcoming days i will release frame data and do deep ingame Testing with Australian and US players. I ask the guy who made the framedata Video. I already tested it against US Players. Further Tests will follow. All experienced Players,
that I know block pretty much all of my attacks.

This technique is very situation-related. You can´t do these moves if the player is moving. These are used when a player has little HP and is in turtle mode. That means that he stand still and tries to block the hits, if he is low HP. It not shorten the animation.

The timeframe of the attack, if you click left mouse to make a repost after a parry is the same as for a repost after a feinted attack, so you have the same time to react, but you might block in the wrong direction and have to switch your block stance. Because of this, the response time is not reduced but you you need switch the block stance more often.

In addition, these feints are very difficult to do. The frame window is so small that only the best players can carry out these attacks and they are not always consistent. If you fail, you wased all the damage of the repost after the Parry.
I personally love it, because we need skillbased ways to get around the parry.

It is a Duel Mechanic that won´t be used in Team fights. The enemies in Team fights try to go back when they are half HP and constantly move. It's hard to do such moves, if the enemies are running.

In Team fights it is more likely that two players charge an attack from different directions and release it at the same time, so that the opponent cannot block both attacks.

As far as I understand there will be ping normalization right ? At least from what i got told. This means that a player who lives right next to the server will have an artificially increased ping of one hundred. Then the difference between the US players is hardly noticeable.

US players have a ping of 150. If Europeans have a ping of 100, the shorter reaction time is only 0.1 seconds. 0.05 seconds to send the data to the server and 0.05 seconds to send it back. In addition, we will be able to assign all block directions to different bottoms in the future. Henrick has already confirmed that. This increases the time to react to an attack.

These Feints have already been used as openers before the Patch and tested by me and many other Players. E.g. the aborted trust attack when looking up, which is converted into a rigth Swing, which you can see at min 0.31 in the Video. It was used as an opener. A low damaging hit, that could be converted in a combo if it hits, which only have to be charged for 1 Second, instead of 2,5 Seconds. A lot of US Players have blocked this attack.

I've used this opener very often over the months.

Now combat feels really like in games like chivalery, no more need to spin arround and so on. A whole new level of experiance that makes heavy weapons like axes and maces viable in 1 vs 1 ! Maybe it need some adjustment but the mechanic itself is very good !

If this mechanic needs finetuning, the swingspeed of the repost after the canceled attack could be a bit slower as a notmal repost. The mechanic itelf is
ingenious

Last edited:

Slyy

May 28, 2020
Scotland
www.mortalonlinemap.info
Its definitely a bug, I think its a side effect of the combat changes in the last few months - this wasn't possible 6+ months ago. If its not totally broken for high ping players then they should definitely keep it in or implement this properly. Any trick to get past a parry is good imo.

Reactions: Anabolic Man

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Its definitely a bug, I think its a side effect of the combat changes in the last few months - this wasn't possible 6+ months ago. If its not totally broken for high ping players then they should definitely keep it in or implement this properly. Any trick to get past a parry is good imo.

I agree it would be a nice Duel Mechanic and this method woudn´t be used i Teamfight. The enemies in Team Fights try to go back when they are half HP and constantly move. It's hard to do such moves, if the enemies are running.
In Team Fights it is more likely that two players charge an attack from different directions and release it at the same time, so that the opponent cannot block both attacks.

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
If this mechanic needs finetuning, the swingspeed of the second swing after the canceled repost could be a bit slower as a normal repost without a feint. The frame window to do it could be a little increased, but not too much, to keep the feints a very skillbased move and it cost a liitle Stamina. The mechanic itelf is ingenious. It feels deep as in games such as chivalery. it looks cool, it is fun and reduce spinning in duels.
This is exactly what this game needed, whether it's a bug or a mechanic and it can be expanded.
That gives the combat system that certain something.

Last edited:

Random Person

Sep 2, 2021
I don't think this is an intentional mechanic.

However it is good for the game because it increases the skill ceiling.

As somebody who has reached the melee skill ceiling, fighting against other players on the skill ceiling from NA and EU, I can confirm people can block these attacks unless they suffer from a too large ping.

What is too large connection disadvantage is based on two factors:
- stability of the connection
- "magic number" which i estimate to be around 150ms ping based on the duels I've had with people asking for their latency during the time

Besides that, this is a useful thing not only in duels but also teamfights. It is also fairly easy to do in my opinion so even low skill players can get access to this with some practice.

Reactions: Anabolic Man