Add portal chambers to counter the massive map size increase

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
So as most probably have experienced at this point, the map is big, a lot bigger than MO1. If you lived in GK in MO1 and had to go to Meduli, that was a long ass, boring trip even on a fast lykiator. That was the SMALL map, imagine traveling to Meduli from GK on this map.

I suggest adding portal chambers kind of like Darkfall, lets say you have 1 in each corner of the map and 1 in the middle, this will make getting around less tedious and actually make the world more alive. You will have the dumpster tier parts of the map that will most definitely be dead, actually get some life because you dont have to actually spend 5 hours getting there.

At the end of the day, one of the biggest faults of MO1 was the whole "realism" argument. The game had elves casting magic but by god the fucking mounted combat should 1 shot you cause thats realistic. Sure it might be but that doesnt make the mechanics good or "fun". Its not fun running 5 hours to get somewhere just like its not fun looking at an extraction timer for 2 hours, taking 5k falldamage when dropping 1 meter and running boulders for 6 hours to siege a 30 mil HP keep. MO1 went for realism in most of the wrong places and hopefully that doesnt happen in MO2.

Reactions: Slyy

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I would only agree if travelling can only be done naked, and has something like a 1 hour cool down.
absolutley against people transporting weapons, goods, gold across the map using instant travel.

Last edited:

SoftHater

Mar 16, 2021
Hot place full of hate.
So as most probably have experienced at this point, the map is big, a lot bigger than MO1. If you lived in GK in MO1 and had to go to Meduli, that was a long ass, boring trip even on a fast lykiator. That was the SMALL map, imagine traveling to Meduli from GK on this map.

I suggest adding portal chambers kind of like Darkfall, lets say you have 1 in each corner of the map and 1 in the middle, this will make getting around less tedious and actually make the world more alive. You will have the dumpster tier parts of the map that will most definitely be dead, actually get some life because you dont have to actually spend 5 hours getting there.

At the end of the day, one of the biggest faults of MO1 was the whole "realism" argument. The game had elves casting magic but by god the fucking mounted combat should 1 shot you cause thats realistic. Sure it might be but that doesnt make the mechanics good or "fun". Its not fun running 5 hours to get somewhere just like its not fun looking at an extraction timer for 2 hours, taking 5k falldamage when dropping 1 meter and running boulders for 6 hours to siege a 30 mil HP keep. MO1 went for realism in most of the wrong places and hopefully that doesnt happen in MO2.

I expected this kind of thread to came up at this point, but i couldn't expect it coming from and old MO player.
let's write down some arguments.

Teleport would only contribute to:
  • Making game world emptier, cause no more people traveling around. So why should SV bothered to make a bigger map?
  • Destroying player markets, teleport means fast and secure trades, less risk same reward = shit economy.
  • King of the hill game mode: if not guarded portals are going to be claimed by guilds and non-stop wars will be going on. At this point why bother making a full map for 10000 players, if the main game is just conquest and keep some spots on the map.
  • Big world plus many raw materials scattered in different zones of map = diversity. If you give teleports, will be easy to have same raw materials everywhere. This will end up in all players having the exactly same equipment.
  • Big guild plus teleport = summon_army.exe, do we really need this such a thing? Hundreds of players just appearing in a place to start a fight?
  • Do i really need to continue?
MO1 went for realism in most of the wrong places and hopefully that doesnt happen in MO2.

Some game mechanics doesn't exists just for realism sake in the wrong places as you claim, they just exists to enhance gameplay and player interactions.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I would like to see that aswell, but only if you can travel naked, and if you have to buy an expencive Moonstone. If you cant enter it with a pet. If there would be specific magic Places, which are at least 15 Min away from town. If the Moonstone would open a gate to a room with several Gates to the other magic Palces, if only 5 people could enter a Gate to the same Region, before there will be a 30 Min CD, so that a guild can not move large armys for sieges. This feature should only be used by PVE Players and maybe the magic Places could be guarded, or the Moonstones only be sold to players with a high reputation. Maybe only honorable Players should be able to enter this guarded magic Places. PVP Players should not be able to use the fast Travel.

Dimandius

Mar 21, 2021
Bulgaria, EU
While there is without a doubt a problem with map size, I'm afraid your solution is worse than the problem. Portals will make many other hallmark features of Mortal meaningless. What I would prefer to see is player built (and maintained) roads that dramatically increase both foot speed and mount speed, kind of like in Wurm Online. Roads would serve as natural arteries that link any points that players would deem interesting. Some might prefer not to build roads to their own village in order to remain hidden - while others might create highways to advertise their might or trade prowess. Unused roads should overgrow and slowly return to nature, unless tended by players. Roads would actually also serve as focal points that draw the roaming "traffic". Of course, there should be some limitations, for example no roads on slopes that are too steep.

Ciaphas

Mar 28, 2021
thievery-game.com
I have a better proposition, which is more alone the lines of Mortal Online spirit.
Instead of portals there should be NPC diligences, that players can hire at any settlement.
In any NPC city there would be a building like stables with NPC near it. In a dialog with NPC you set destination and some options and a stage-coach is spawned inside building and drives out for an appropriate sum. Once you sit in, stage-coach departs and doesn't stop until it reaches destination. Players can't control it, but can use their weapons to fight of typical Mortal players highwaymen. This way players will be able to travel significantly faster and safer than on foot but still risk to be attacked and robbed.
Additionally to diligences there can be introduced infrastructure of public roads and guard towers situated along the roads, which act like NPC guards in guard areas.
Any player with appropriate skill can bring resources and repair these roads and towers and then receive reward proportional to work done from magistrate NPCs in cities.
This would create additional (and risky) way of earning for non-fighter players.

PMGOT5-004g-wheelhouse-flat-as.jpg

ILLUSTRATION. Armoured stage-coach.​