Add a Light Spell to Ecumenical on Launch

Do you think a Light spell should be added to Ecum. Spells?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, only if (post)

• Other (post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Light spells in any fantasy setting I've known or partaken in, have been basic. Easily accessible, easily perform. And one of the main gripes for this game I have had from new players (and old) is that night time and the dark areas are very frustrating to handle.

Throw in a basic light spell to ecum, so that mages early on can focus on a supportive/utility roll instead of heal botting. Lighten the load on torches (haha).

I think this is a great, logical step to keep the game dynamic.

What do you all think of this?

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
Any magician in movies can perform light spell, so its 'yes' for me. God damn, its so basic that it has to be here.

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
Let me say I don't know how Elementalism light works, but assuming this would be a low level spell I am thinking that practically everyone will have it (10-20 ecu etc) and invalidate torches completely. The cost of using a torch is the loss of your shield hand or offhand weapon. I say make the cost of the light spell a constant minor mana drain. Something so armored people wont be able to maintain the light without mana slowly reaching 0, and something for mages to lose a tiny bit of their regen maintaining to keep the light shining

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
I say make the cost of the light spell a constant minor mana drain. Something so armored people wont be able to maintain the light without mana slowly reaching 0, and something for mages to lose a tiny bit of their regen maintaining to keep the light shining
That would make it pretty worthless. Just make it a buff with brightness and duration based on the casters intelligence like how most spells work. If you really want to get fancy, you can make it dimmer as the timer approaches zero.

Reactions: Neftan

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Let me say I don't know how Elementalism light works, but assuming this would be a low level spell I am thinking that practically everyone will have it (10-20 ecu etc) and invalidate torches completely. The cost of using a torch is the loss of your shield hand or offhand weapon. I say make the cost of the light spell a constant minor mana drain. Something so armored people wont be able to maintain the light without mana slowly reaching 0, and something for mages to lose a tiny bit of their regen maintaining to keep the light shining
Just give it a steeper mana cost, 20-30 cost will make most warrior builds not able or barely able to cast it. Or:
That would make it pretty worthless. Just make it a buff with brightness and duration based on the casters intelligence like how most spells work. If you really want to get fancy, you can make it dimmer as the timer approaches zero.
SOmething like this is even better. Higher skill/scaling that make it more effective sounds logical and ideal.

agui

May 31, 2020
I want a light sabre for mage to fight foot players doing magic dmg negating their armor

Reactions: Teknique

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
i think the torches inside the dungens should should have a larger radius of light. Same count for the equipable torches. They should have twice the radius of light. Maybe allow us to craft
Lanterns, which not have such a huge radius as torches, but which could be attached to the armor and the horse. A torch must be hold inside your hand, and thats why they should be a good light source, if they restrict 1-2 players in your team to a 1 handed weapon, which are not as good, as the 2 handed weapons, in the case you will meet aggressive players.

Last edited:

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
i think the torches inside the dungens should should have a larger radius of light. Same count for the equipable torches. They should have twice the radius of light. Maybe allow us to craft
Lanterns, which not have such a huge radius as torches, but which could be attached to the armor and the horse. A torch must be hold inside your hand, and thats why they should be a good light source, if they restrict 1-2 players in your team to a 1 handed weapon, which are not as good, as the 2 handed weapons, in the case you will meet aggressive players.
Yes these are valid trains of thought, and should/could be implemented along side the spell. If implemented correctly, the light spell would be used in conjunction with torches. Using both would likely be ideal.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I played an old school mud 95 years ago that had a hallowed light spell that was an item that actually gave you stats.

I think there should be a light source equipment slot

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I played an old school mud 95 years ago that had a hallowed light spell that was an item that actually gave you stats.

I think there should be a light source equipment slot
Yes, like I said above, I think more options for light is ideal. Lanterns, whatever else, a light item slot, sure. It needs to be more flexible in order to facilitate different playstyles and preferences, different group dynamics, and to keep things interesting.

I think these things should be added alongside the spell option.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
They need to work out a number of kinks with torches if they really want them to be used in dungeons. I still think expecting someone's role to be "torch guy" is pretty stupid and unfun for whomever gets stuck in that role.

There are many simple and elegant solutions to this, but so far SV gives us main hand only torch...?

Reactions: Teknique

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
They need to work out a number of kinks with torches if they really want them to be used in dungeons. I still think expecting someone's role to be "torch guy" is pretty stupid and unfun for whomever gets stuck in that role.

There are many simple and elegant solutions to this, but so far SV gives us main hand only torch...?
I'm sure they'll change it up. Probably not a priority at this point.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I think we can all agree that it would be good to have a light spell usable by mages.

How they specifically implement it is another story though, and would of course have to be balanced, but the base idea is pretty obviously a good one.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
To be fair, in a game where darkness and nights are supposed to play a role, light sources shouldn't be had too easily. There are light spells planned for some magic schools but even if there was one in Ecumenical it shouldn't be easy to attain or all too powerful.