A Suggestion if 10 Minute Cooldowns are Really Intentional

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
1. Make it so that rest no longer auto-ends when stats are restored (Maybe this can help with the random rest-end glitch too)
2. If a player rests for 30 seconds straight they are considered having taken a "full rest".
3. "Full rests" reset all cooldown timers.

10 minute cooldowns as the norms for most clade gifts are insane. But they're a bit less insane if you can reset them by breaking away from combat for a significant portion of time. The relog was a horrid/cheesy/exploity way to do it. But the end result of 10 min abilities being something you could use once a fight wasn't a bad outcome. This makes it a feature rather than a bug.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I can't disagree across the board because I don't know the limits and capabilities of each Clades actives, however I feel like the 10 minute timer is indeed intended to be impactful.

I hear your suggestion to try and keep it impactful by requiring a disengage, however 30 seconds seems far too short. The cost for resetting something intended to take 10 minutes should be noticeable. Perhaps a full minute of meditation? OR another solution?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
A full minute works but you have to consider the old D&D concept of action economy. 30 seconds to reset clades means you're out of the fight 30 seconds. There is no capacity to do this solo unless you completely lose your opponent, and in a team fight that's really bad action economy. My concern with a 1 minute timer is that's a really long/boring time to sit around doing nothing. Due to how bad a mid-combat reset is action-economy wise, a 30 second reset seems completely balanced to me as it basically means the fight needs to have a significant break for you to get a reset. Clades are nice but not anywhere near good enough to justify stepping out of a fight for a full half a minute.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
A full minute works but you have to consider the old D&D concept of action economy. 30 seconds to reset clades means you're out of the fight 30 seconds. There is no capacity to do this solo unless you completely lose your opponent, and in a team fight that's really bad action economy. My concern with a 1 minute timer is that's a really long/boring time to sit around doing nothing. Due to how bad a mid-combat reset is action-economy wise, a 30 second reset seems completely balanced to me as it basically means the fight needs to have a significant break for you to get a reset. Clades are nice but not anywhere near good enough to justify stepping out of a fight for a full half a minute.
Yeah point made there.

I think more deeply, some of these actives should be converted into passives. Such as the Thursar lifesteal, for example. Make sure the value is tweaked, and make it passive. Or the Oghmir active that raises defense when standing still... just tweak the value, and make it a passive. I feel like that method could be applied a lot.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Yeah point made there.

I think more deeply, some of these actives should be converted into passives. Such as the Thursar lifesteal, for example. Make sure the value is tweaked, and make it passive. Or the Oghmir active that raises defense when standing still... just tweak the value, and make it a passive. I feel like that method could be applied a lot.
With the adjustments to the food and reserve system they can make it passive turn on and off thing with increase reserve drain. Would hurt using it but still be worth it.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I actually like the idea of how the Thursar especially have primarily active or toggled gifts, if the gifts are actually good, a smart and experienced player could set themselves apart from others who don't know when to situationally or optimally use them. It changes the gameplay of that clade and can raise the skill ceiling somewhat.

You can kind of see that if you squint with Alvarin as well, but it's not quite there yet.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Yeah point made there.

I fully agree. The more actives we have the closer we are to the WoW-clone model of the game is all about ability management. I don't mind seeing specific roles work that way, but I really don't like seeing races work that way. Pure-fighters shouldn't be juggling abilities, they should be focused on swordplay or landing shots with their bows. When abilities do make it in to fighter roles they should be things massively important to performing a certain role. The fact the Thursar has so many abilities to juggle is pretty crap IMO especially when so many of those abilities are just straight bad because of how infrequently they can be used.

Ability juggling is for mages, hybrids, and if I had my way it would be MASSIVELY important to pet-based builds. I think each race should have 1-2 actives and the rest as passives.