Vote for Mounted Archery nerfs

What kind of nerfs should mounted archery receive to be less obnoxious? (multi-choice)

• Total voters

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
We all see that MA is quite overused at the moment, and the reason is because it is:

1. too easy to use

2. cost-effective, very little investment needed in terms of skill points and equipment

3. too easy to grief with

4. strong, and invulnerable to certain builds (mages have no chance)

5. the only real counter to another MA (okay, bow using can be a counter on melee too, but the sentiment that everyone NEEDS to learn and use bows is bullshit logic, they need to be made secondary skills if that is the case, and get dex scaling/requirements too so not everyone needs to build STR).

And yes, this poll is not about IF they need a nerf, but WHAT KIND of nerf they should receive, were they to get one.

And yes I know they are planning the wobble, that is why it is not included in the options. I would have included more but run out of options so to speak. Weakening the damage to mounts (and pets I'd say) would definitely be a good nerf too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atom

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Arrows do too much dmg to horses. That's the only thing haha. Horses should be able to eat more arrows even naked, armor should be much more effective, zoololgy should not affect pvp. Buff MC by making a skill under mounted charge (primary) that allows you to reach less nerfed top speeds in heavy armor w/ a melee wep out. Fixed.

The longbow, bow v horse thing is really the problem. Once you're no longer mounted, it doesn't matter even if they just leave you there. Not like MA is really that effective vs most combat armored players.

I posted a vid and deleted it (cuz I doubt SV cares) about how 'nerfing MA' will be a waste, as in horse archery, not as in arrows shredding horses, but I already can tell they are going to do some stupid shit. They should look at what MA is outside of the scope of getting people's horses for 60+s and they should say "this class is strong atm, let's bring other classes UP (like MC) to match it. " MA is the solo roam class, atm, so work on adding in counters so it's not the apex predator. It used to be MC beats MA, MA beats Fatmage. And foot fighters need the ability to deter a mounted with bows, but it should take a bit more than just some long bow shots. Assuming you want mounted vs foot gameplay at all.

Sin

Jan 21, 2022
From the very beginning I wondered why I could turn my horse with both my hands on the bow.. Mounted magic does this, why doesn't MA have to.

Reactions: Atom

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
From the very beginning I wondered why I could turn my horse with both my hands on the bow.. Mounted magic does this, why doesn't MA have to.

Ma can only fire to one side. Dexy thighs!

TheChersk

Feb 1, 2022
- Require more skill points
- add wobble like when you are moving on the ground
- wobble should be present even with all maxed skills at max mount speed
- very minimum wobble at trot speed with full mounted archery skill

Reactions: Atom and Calcal

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
They should really just get rid of it altogether, I understand its medieval times but it literally turns the game into easy mode.. so easy that they had to remove horses ability to move faster than walk speed in caves cause 1 or 2 mounted archers could do the boss by walking in a circle and pelting them down same way they do to all the players now. I can go farm essentially any mob by walking in a circle and never taking a hit, its just broken.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
They should really just get rid of it altogether, I understand its medieval times but it literally turns the game into easy mode.. so easy that they had to remove horses ability to move faster than walk speed in caves cause 1 or 2 mounted archers could do the boss by walking in a circle and pelting them down same way they do to all the players now. I can go farm essentially any mob by walking in a circle and never taking a hit, its just broken.

nahman. I dunno what to do about PvE tho. Possibly make some bosses immune to MA maybe. You can farm mobs on MC like that, too, still. I wasn't sure, but you can. W/ Ma you don't have to be in their hit range, but w/ MC you just have to dodge their attack and pull them back and forth. Any time you are faster than the mob you can kite it endlessly.

MA has a purpose. It's to make transporting a lot harder. Beyond that and like chasing down mounted mages, it shouldn't be as useful. I would never balance any part of the game on pve with how wonky the pve is in this game. Without MA there is almost no risk to transporting.

But yea any mob you can get 'turning' and 'pulling/chasing' and get it to use its attack while you are out of range, it's the same as it was in MO1 except mobs are faster. I used to farm Prowers on foot in MO1 by kiting them on a veela and never get hit. Just make certain mobs immune to MA, not like little dmg cuz you can eventually win, but actually immune.

Mounted is such an essential feature in this game and what separates it from other games IMO. Sure, it's imbalanced and it has always been, but we can HOPE they figure it out. Without mounted this game loses so much, and you know that mounts are necessary to move stacks. Mounted combat is engaging considering this is a full loot open world game. It should have a place.

I don't agree w/ wobble either. I mean, that's not a solution. It comes back to the same point, it's just a matter of release timing, just like when you draw your bow it draws in basically the same point you were aiming. It's something that is easy to get used to, and it's not a meaningful nerf. Making it take more stam, making you have to draw longer, etc, stuff like that could be interesting, but I mean my hands are always moving anyway and I'm playing on hi dpi and I still usually manage to drag a little into a hit (I mean, just as much as I don't lol it has no meaningful impact, if I miss I miss cuz I fucked up.) I do think going back to only 'aim with arrow' would change a little tho.

Less dmg to horses, less fire speed. Maybe make it so that you undraw your bow if you hold it for a certain amount so people don't get to overaim, stuff like that I can get behind, but I think a lot of these suggestions are just going to make MA stupid like the rest of the game is stupid. The reason people are running MA isn't because it's monstrously OP (altho the horse thing is pretty game breaking,) it's because it's something that is relatively working as intended lol. It's the rest of the game that hasn't caught up to it. Dragging MA back will just make the game more of a grabass.

Edit: make it so weps, not arrows, do more dmg to mounts. As it is right now you can pound someone w/ an arrow on a mount harder than you can w/ a wep, that's a bit insane. I know a lot of the people who hang out in foot fight areas and such are like delete mounted, but this game would be so tedious and trash without mounted stuff. They just need to keep working to make it right. They need to actually crunch some numbers and look a situational videos... people need to make vs videos of MA vs MA, MA v FF with longbow, MA v MC, MA v MM... good players and show the devs. They need to SEE what is happening.

Brismere

Mar 14, 2022
The real; easiest solution would be to add Damage reduction on arrows if the hors has armor as well as damage fall off for greater ranges. The arrow "bobble" is also needed. Make it as light armor gets 5%, medium 10% and heavy 20%. The damage reduction values will be calculated before the armors pierce protection. Weak spot ignores both armor and DR. This will encourage more melee horse combat when that gets a buff. The numbers could be adjusted.

Reactions: Calcal

Veeshan

Jan 29, 2022
I think wobble should be based on armor weight, less than 10 armor weight no wobble on bow attacks, 10+ armor weight wobble starts to happen higher the weight the more extreme the wobble. Aiming technique will increase this threshold to be 15+ when at 100 or something. this is to nerf archer in heavy armor slightly because right now there no problem with heavy ass armor and archery.
This way mages = light armor can do heavy but no mana regen
Archery = medium armor cando heavy but not accurate due to wobble
Melee = Heavy armor

Main issue with archery stuff is it take very little amount of skill point to use and there no disadvantage of wearing the heaviest protective armor.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Bad poll, you only have nerfs and no option for people who have the opposite view. Nor a vote for people who have neither view.

Arrows shot outside of of city walls get destroyed on entrance to prevent pet griefing etc. - Bro just stable your pets. Like this was the solution before we hard rep loss on guard agro when people would kill pets in town with no rep loss but die to guards.

Archery needs to be reworked and I think they will when they start working on fletching. That directly ties into MA. Arrows move far to slow to hit people reliably who are actively moving to avoid arrows. But arrows are very powerfull against unarmored players/horses. Arrows are also good against light armor and viable against molarium tier armor, but absolutely horrible against steel or better armor.

Horse armor is poor so arrows can easily kill horses. But Horses are also low HP and magic does a bunch of damage to them.

On the opposite side foot fighters cant kill a mounted player that plays right. They will just run off and reset to come back while the FF cant choose to go reset. But longbows are very powerfull deterrent to horses that will demolish a mount if they dont peel out.

CrgHck

Jan 27, 2022
Stockholm
Bad poll, you only have nerfs and no option for people who have the opposite view. Nor a vote for people who have neither view.
to be fair the poll isnt about wether MA is overused or not but about what should be done about it for the people that agree with the premise
I would be intrested in a poll askin if it is OP/overused but to lazy to make one

Bro just stable your pets.
thats exactly where my horse got sniped the other day, I dont mind it tho, I should have been more aware of my surroundings.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
Limit the amount of arrows people can carry to 50ish

Still retains it's power, but limits the ability to cheese PvE and has a risk/reward in PvP.

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
Increase horses natural pierce defence
Reduce arrow damage slightly while increasing arrow velocity
Bow wobble scale with dex, every point of dex under 100 increases wobble (example)

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Increase horses natural pierce defence
Reduce arrow damage slightly while increasing arrow velocity
Bow wobble scale with dex, every point of dex under 100 increases wobble (example)

Agree everything should have higher Pierce Def against arrows, arrow velocity is fine rn.

Yeah for the dex wobble to happen shortbows would require nerf and asymetricals buff, so STR builds can compete against veelas meta build.