Need NA servers

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
Needs to be NA servers, the disparity between EU and NA fights is insane. Anyone who thinks its okay is out of their minds. You can tell right at the start of a fight if a player is NA or EU.

EU players outrun, and out range NA players no matter what. The interpolation is nonsense, EU players have massive advantage against the NA player.
Coming from mordhau with 32 ping and waiting til the last moment to block, doesnt translate here because if you play like you should, by waiting and reading, you will be feinted and unable to block the next attack due to the ping difference.

Of course there are gonna be upset fan boys about valid concerns, but there needs to be an NA server and an EU server. I know many people who would love to play MO2 but refuse because of the massive disparity. The ping is not equalized to everyone, you can tell just by fighting someone from a different region than yourself.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
They just need to centralize the servers in NA so the west coast and central coast players can have closer ping to what the EU players would have.

Most of the NA will have close to 80 ping and most of the EU will have close to the same as well. This means its more far. Only NA east will have the ping advantage but that can be fixed with parry normilization. The normilization is already set to 80ping which is what EU will mostly have if the server is moved to NA.

The really is not that big of a issue with EU being better then NA due to ping. EU players have advantages to being able to make mistakes and recover from parries. While NA players who make a mistake while parring will usually not be able to recover from it.

If you lost to a EU player its more likely due to skill however. If you are more skilled you will win. Ping is not that much of a concern in this game as some people claim.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I haven't heard anyone mention the run speed difference before, but that's something I've noticed personally, and it wasn't just an EU vs US thing.

I live in northern California and average around 165-175 ping. I was playing stout veela 116 dex. And always felt like I was lagging behind sprinting with the group, so I asked to run a test sprinting around Bakti with a group of guys. We had a Brit, a Canadian, a dude from Florida, and myself. I think east coast US guys have around 90 ish ping (correct me if wrong). Canada maybe bit more, Brit sleeps on the server obviously.

I was the only veela in the group, rest were oghmir, think Canada was human maybe. But each race we did sprinting around Bakti I fell behind by a large margin, and it was so annoying and noticeable right from the getgo. Veela getting out sprinted by 78 dex oghmir feels bad man. And we weren't sprinting until stammed out before anyone asks.

I'm all for one server tho, don't get me wrong, I know it'll never be perfect for everyone, but they have a lot of work to do to level the playing field, and I'm not even sure they're aware of this sprinting difference...but it's absolutely noticeable.

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
They just need to centralize the servers in NA so the west coast and central coast players can have closer ping to what the EU players would have.

Most of the NA will have close to 80 ping and most of the EU will have close to the same as well. This means its more far. Only NA east will have the ping advantage but that can be fixed with parry normilization. The normilization is already set to 80ping which is what EU will mostly have if the server is moved to NA.

The really is not that big of a issue with EU being better then NA due to ping. EU players have advantages to being able to make mistakes and recover from parries. While NA players who make a mistake while parring will usually not be able to recover from it.

If you lost to a EU player its more likely due to skill however. If you are more skilled you will win. Ping is not that much of a concern in this game as some people claim.
you say that, then dont realize that parries dont have interpolation, therefore late parries still cause you to get hit. You would know this if you were a US based player not on the east coast. Lack of skill and reading attacks =/= having to early parry or get hit. The comparison is null. Let me know how you fare in mordhau 30 ping vs 150. You can clearly tell when youre fighting someone from your region, and when you arent.

"EU players have advantages to being able to make mistakes and recover from parries. While NA players who make a mistake while parring will usually not be able to recover from it."

That is an issue, due to the fact if im fighting a similar skilled enemy, they can make mistakes while i have to play perfectly. Thats not okay.

"Ping is not that much of a concern in this game as some people claim. "

Yes it is an issue when youre required to early parry, and if you do you get hit
regardless due to the ping difference. What i see is you swinging, when youre actually hitting me. So the ping issue is a massive problem.
Take this for instance. A guy overheads and is charging, i put up my block but at the same time im waiting for the release of the weapon to change block sides. Guy fients into a stab, i get hit because he released before i could see it from my side, therefore i take damage.

Another instance is players getting parried running away faster and out ranging from a riposte. Then continue to hit you out of range and win the fight. The ping interpolation is obviously not working as intended, and im not the only one who has said this either.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulfy

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
I haven't heard anyone mention the run speed difference before, but that's something I've noticed personally, and it wasn't just an EU vs US thing.

I live in northern California and average around 165-175 ping. I was playing stout veela 116 dex. And always felt like I was lagging behind sprinting with the group, so I asked to run a test sprinting around Bakti with a group of guys. We had a Brit, a Canadian, a dude from Florida, and myself. I think east coast US guys have around 90 ish ping (correct me if wrong). Canada maybe bit more, Brit sleeps on the server obviously.

I was the only veela in the group, rest were oghmir, think Canada was human maybe. But each race we did sprinting around Bakti I fell behind by a large margin, and it was so annoying and noticeable right from the getgo. Veela getting out sprinted by 78 dex oghmir feels bad man. And we weren't sprinting until stammed out before anyone asks.

I'm all for one server tho, don't get me wrong, I know it'll never be perfect for everyone, but they have a lot of work to do to level the playing field, and I'm not even sure they're aware of this sprinting difference...but it's absolutely noticeable.
yes, the movement is not interpolated and neither are the parries. Therefore we arent where our screen shows us. Where are where the server thinks we are since we are around half second behind. Im for one world too, but the advantages are clear as day if you dont live in EU

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Hypothetically, N. America where?

The ping will never be equalised to everyone, but to approach similarity in ping to the greatest number, where would you serve from?

Like @KermyWormy I am probably farther from some of the the East Coast of NA than some parts of Europe are. It's close.
I don't even know exactly where the Star Vault game server huddle is, at this time.

"Distance between Europe and North America is 6728.4 km. This distance is equal to 4180.83 miles..." says one source, vaguely. Maybe this is from central point to central point. It'd be more useful to considerdistances between cities that, at least, might already have server facilities .

• It's 3194 miles or 5140 km from San Francisco to Portland, Maine.

• It's 3362 miles or 5410 km from Portland, Maine to Paris, France.

• It's 3195 miles or 5142 km from Portland, Maine to London, UK,

• It's 2,873.38 mi or 4,624 km from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada to London, UK.

• It's 3785 miles or 6092 km from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada to San Francisco.
Don't know if Star Vault will embrace it, but I'd like a really detailed suggestion to consider.
[FORM]Fnord
Laylah's W Sig by Rathius_X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett.png

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Ping does help but it's not as much of an issue as people make it out to be.

The degree of packetloss/stability of your connection is a more limiting factor when it comes to playing. One lost packet in a fight could mean life or death when it comes to parrying.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628

The degree of packetloss/stability of your connection is a more limiting factor when it comes to playing. One lost packet in a fight could mean life or death when it comes to parrying.
Because we have second- and third-rate connections, you all definitely need a server in not just North America but in the USA.

Or a satellite.
;)

Laylah's W Sig by Rathius_X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett.png

Reactions: Rolufe

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California

Read what I posted above about tested sprint speeds across various pings. I would argue that this is effecting every level of play in a significant way. I understand the physical limitations of current technologies being such that there is no great answer for everyone currently in this setup. For me personally I have 165-175 ping and a solid connection with very minimal packet loss, and the whole of the western US I assume would have a similar problem where not only are you handicapped in a melee exchange, but as one of the fastest sprinting builds, a veela, you'll get out sprinted by a 78 dex oghmir in Florida, not to mention those across the pond.

I'm not usually one harping on this issue as I said above, it can't be perfect for everyone with current technological limitations, but we also don't need to pretend this isn't a huge issue currently and probably goes deeper than most people realize, such as you can't even sprint at the speed you ought to be able to etc.

Reactions: Kurbb

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Read what I posted above about tested sprint speeds across various pings. I would argue that this is effecting every level of play in a significant way. I understand the physical limitations of current technologies being such that there is no great answer for everyone currently in this setup. For me personally I have 165-175 ping and a solid connection with very minimal packet loss, and the whole of the western US I assume would have a similar problem where not only are you handicapped in a melee exchange, but as one of the fastest sprinting builds, a veela, you'll get out sprinted by a 78 dex oghmir in Florida, not to mention those across the pond.

I'm not usually one harping on this issue as I said above, it can't be perfect for everyone with current technological limitations, but we also don't need to pretend this isn't a huge issue currently and probably goes deeper than most people realize, such as you can't even sprint at the speed you ought to be able to etc.

The problem I have with this is that movement is entirely clientside. The only value relating to this that isn't clientside is your current stamina which is serverside.

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
you say that, then dont realize that parries dont have interpolation, therefore late parries still cause you to get hit. You would know this if you were a US based player not on the east coast. Lack of skill and reading attacks =/= having to early parry or get hit. The comparison is null. Let me know how you fare in mordhau 30 ping vs 150. You can clearly tell when youre fighting someone from your region, and when you arent.
Hypothetically, N. America where?

The ping will never be equalised to everyone, but to approach similarity in ping to the greatest number, where would you serve from?

Like @KermyWormy I am probably farther from some of the the East Coast of NA than some parts of Europe are. It's close.
I don't even know exactly where the Star Vault game server huddle is, at this time.

"Distance between Europe and North America is 6728.4 km. This distance is equal to 4180.83 miles..." says one source, vaguely. Maybe this is from central point to central point. It'd be more useful to considerdistances between cities that, at least, might already have server facilities .

• It's 3194 miles or 5140 km from San Francisco to Portland, Maine.

• It's 3362 miles or 5410 km from Portland, Maine to Paris, France.

• It's 3195 miles or 5142 km from Portland, Maine to London, UK,

• It's 2,873.38 mi or 4,624 km from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada to London, UK.

• It's 3785 miles or 6092 km from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada to San Francisco.
Don't know if Star Vault will embrace it, but I'd like a really detailed suggestion to consider.
[FORM]Fnord
View attachment 2074
all we need is 2 regional servers. I believe us paying 15 a month for this can constitute that, Another way to alleviate the issue is to make parrying client side and not server side.

Reactions: AlexanderDeLarge

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
The problem I have with this is that movement is entirely clientside. The only value relating to this that isn't clientside is your current stamina which is serverside.
thats also wrong, the movement is server side. Everything is server side hence why there is "interpolation".

Making 2 or 3 servers that can house 1000 people is plenty for us. This whole problem would be solved by not being stingy with servers. Im not asking for tons of servers, but 2 or 3 so we can all play effectively. Im open to any suggestions anyone has on this, and im sure Henrik is taking stuff into consideration.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
They need 5000 active subscribers to break even with current costs, last I heard.
An entire other server would virtually mean almost double that, excluding the fact you don't need another set of devs, but you still need an increase in support staff that can handle the now separate "prime" time zone and have to pay for the hardware(server host).

I still think the plan to just make the next continent hosted in NA is the most safe alternative. If the game has a big sub base by then its a pretty safe investment of a overhead, if they have one at that time.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Another alternative is what some other people suggested, that whenever the current hosting plan is running out, plan on hosting the entire server on NA East coast or Greenland(Super expensive high competition for servers). It'll be a net gain for everyone except a pretty small loss for us EU denizens(ping wise) but I think it could be worth it. But i'm guessing they signed a LONG term contract as those are the most cost efficient and they'll probably be stuck with whatever they got now for a foreseeable future. But if they had the choice I think thats the best other than making the next continent a NA server.

Reactions: Kurbb

Moored

Mar 24, 2021

I was dueling an EU fella (I'm in seattle) that was using a light weapon and my goodness the ping difference was staggering. Death by a thousand unblockable cuts. Really had me wanting to switch to a mage but I've decided to stick with melee and just accept the fact that there are super heroes/villains amongst us. NA server down the road would be nice. I was wondering, are there any advantages for us higher ping individuals? How can we leverage being slower than we think?

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
i've not seen this before but i remember issues with different framerates causing speed differences. This is something that probably requires more testing, and would need a fix for sure.

-barcode

Draug

May 22, 2021
Sverige
www.vikingsonshrooms.com

You should make a video of this and send it to the dev team as a bug report.

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
They need 5000 active subscribers to break even with current costs, last I heard.
An entire other server would virtually mean almost double that, excluding the fact you don't need another set of devs, but you still need an increase in support staff that can handle the now separate "prime" time zone and have to pay for the hardware(server host).

I still think the plan to just make the next continent hosted in NA is the most safe alternative. If the game has a big sub base by then its a pretty safe investment of a overhead, if they have one at that time.
so youre telling me, they need 200k for buying the game, then 900k over 1 year to pay for 1 server? youre trippin or dont undestand how much server costs are.

As it stands right now, the game has only had about 100k put into it. Ive saw indie games release cheaper. The cost isnt an issue for me either, the cost constitutes an NA server. I can tell you right now, if there isnt atleast an NA continent, then most people who want to play from NA and SA wont play. Id be up for having an NA server then getting rid of one when the player base drops. There is no downsides other than henrik willing to put the money we will be paying toward that.

I literally just did a quick search to prove to myself i wasnt retarded

"Simply put, an MMO can cost you anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand per month, depending on how many concurrent players and locations you want to support. For example, a 50k concurrent player base on an MMO may cost you ~$1500 per month, even with a bulk discount. "

Now with 5000 players, they would be making 72k a month off subs alone
Now that being said, a server for 5000 concurrent players would be around 500-800 a month. So there is no reason not to have that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexanderDeLarge