24 hour server reset

Takehitsu

Mar 22, 2021
I have noticed that there is never a scheduled server reset. I have also noticed the amount of bugs and glitches increases as time goes by. A huge part of this is likely from the server continuously running. I highly Recommend having the server reset at a 24 hour interval this will help with a lot of the small bugs for example pets getting stuck at node lines. Right after the patch this barely happened now it is becoming a huge issue again. This is just an example but I would assume many other simple issues will reduce in them occurring.

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
I think this is a great idea considering we are dealing with a mega server that has 24 hour activity. At least if not now in the early stages of beta, it is something we should have in persistence.

Reactions: Takehitsu

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
I disagree, especially for beta. a properly running server should not require rebooting to run properly. If things go haywire after a few hours or days now during beta, then the devs have a chance at identifying the issue and can try and fix it. boot every day and you might not ever see these problems or they wont snowball into a big enough issue for the devs to see and fix

-barcode

Reactions: Amadman and Rhias

Takehitsu

Mar 22, 2021
I disagree, especially for beta. a properly running server should not require rebooting to run properly. If things go haywire after a few hours or days now during beta, then the devs have a chance at identifying the issue and can try and fix it. boot every day and you might not ever see these problems or they wont snowball into a big enough issue for the devs to see and fix

-barcode

While you say this. Every MMO in existence has a Maintenance period where it shuts down roughly every 24 hours. This is to clean the system and help it run smoother. While you say a server should not require a reboot I have never played a single game/ Hosted a server for a game/ Or seen a server of any type that does not need scheduled maintenance or downtime. Most of the time all this is a simple scheduled flip switch off switch it back on type of scenario.

As I stated not resetting the server daily is already causing issues, This is most easily visible with the pets following you through the world. As of yesterday I am now required to ride my horses and taking pets around has become impossible, whereas a few days ago I literally had 4 horses following me around with no issue whatsoever. There are many other examples of NPCs spawning and then moving under the mesh and staying under the mesh reducing the total Farmeable spawns. Guards are getting stuck in areas in towns they cannot get out of. All of this is easily fixed by every 24 hour maintenance server reset. Make it 15 minutes 30 minutes an hour. That will not deter people from the game, simply as Every single MMO does it. They do it to fix these issues and or problems.

If they do plan on doing this at some point, I hope they consider its effects when building systems.

For example it was worthless to lockpick for some time after a reboot because it reset everything back to empty.

This would definitely be something I agree with and would need to be looked at. For a time when Mo1 had a reset, they had it so after reset everything had stuff in it at reset they must have removed that for some varying reason. Personally, I would say at reset all spawns and loot chests should be reset to a full state. However, that ultimately would not be up to me.

Reactions: Serverus

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
having a 'maintenance period' doesnt fix the problem, it just masks it. All the server wierdness that happens after some time shouldnt happen at all. what happens when someone figures out how to get the guards stuck rather than it happening mostly-randomly as it does now? at that point it doesnt matter if the reset is once a day if the guy does it 5 minutes after startup. bugs need to be identified and addressed. sure once live then you can go to a daily reset in attempt to keep things running smoothly but during beta i'd just assume let it ride so the devs have a better chance of identifying the issues

-barcode

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
+1 can't glitch horsebags to transport across continent without this.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
There are many other examples of NPCs spawning and then moving under the mesh and staying under the mesh reducing the total Farmeable spawns. Guards are getting stuck in areas in towns they cannot get out of. All of this is easily fixed by every 24 hour maintenance server reset. Make it 15 minutes 30 minutes an hour. That will not deter people from the game, simply as Every single MMO does it. They do it to fix these issues and or problems.
They could as well let all monsters despawn after let's say 24h. Would also "solve" the issue without a restart.
However, that's not really a solution but a bandage.

having a 'maintenance period' doesnt fix the problem, it just masks it. All the server wierdness that happens after some time shouldnt happen at all. what happens when someone figures out how to get the guards stuck rather than it happening mostly-randomly as it does now? at that point it doesnt matter if the reset is once a day if the guy does it 5 minutes after startup. bugs need to be identified and addressed. sure once live then you can go to a daily reset in attempt to keep things running smoothly but during beta i'd just assume let it ride so the devs have a better chance of identifying the issues

-barcode
Totally agree to this one.

Takehitsu

Mar 22, 2021

-barcode
Your earlier statement saying it needs to be a perfect server that never needs to be reset is not even a possibility. Systems and electronics simply do not work like that. The problem right now is that after 3-4 days things that were "Fixed" with the last batch are now broken, and the cause is from the system building up too many bits of information. These are normally cleaned out with a system reset every 24 hours. This won't fix a lot of the issues, but some of the issues will be fixed there is NO fix all for anything and there never will be. Simply put their server is building up cookies of information and bits of information. Sadly these pieces of information as with ANY electronic out there only get cleared out by shutting it down and doing a reset. This is why everything with a server has shutdown/Maintenance periods. These fragments or frags of information cause clutter. Currently, the clutter is causing bugs where there should not be bugs. For finding and fixing bugs if said Griefer drags the guards behind the bank counter 5 minutes after server reset I would hope everyone is reporting it so the developers can find out why is this guard uselessly behind the counters 24/7. If it isn't reported they cannot fix it, That has nothing to do with a server being reset that has to do with the integrity of players reporting the problems.

I also disagree with you saying the longer the system runs the more chances the devs have of finding the problems. The longer it runs, the more data fragments build up, the more data fragments build up the more bugs are caused from that stemming from the servers not being reset. This means the developers are distracted by people tagging them with all these fragment-caused bugs rather than being able to focus on the actual bugs. It slows them down and ultimately allows them to accomplish less.

Last edited: