Good book to read.

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
My fav. fantasy book is The Name of the Wind.

That dude paints pictures of fantasy worlds like no other. If you're entranced by that book, the series continues with The Wise Man's Fear. That one drags a bit (i think). But i still love it.

Also, thinking we could do with a 'favorite book' or 'what are you reading now' thread to get ideas for new books to read. I always like visiting the 'favorite songs' thread for new shit to hear.

Reactions: HappyHour

HappyHour

Nov 18, 2020
Phoenix
I totally gonna check some of these!! I have been listening to "the sword of truth" book 1 recently. It is really good.

Happy-Hour-Sig-1.png

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
The Wheel of Time is one of my top fantasy series. It's VERY long though, and a lot of people find the author's style of writing quite wordy. But it's wordy because it's also incredibly descriptive. He likes painting pictures with his words.

Also apparently it's finally going go be made into a TV series. Amazon is currently working on it. So it's very comparable to Game of Thrones with a few key differences I can't give away without spoiling things.

One major difference that won't spoil anything is it's a more magical universe. There is nothing called "magic" but there is a form of magic that is very central to the lore of the world. Magic is similar in prevalence to force wielders pre-Order 66 in Star Wars. Only a few people can do it and they're generally feared by those who can't, but it gives them an immense amount of power in that world.

Last edited:
Reactions: FinalGirlSid

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
shud try scifi. It's cooler than fantasy!

The one fantasyish/butalsoscifi was that Stephen King Book the Gunslinger. That shit was OP. But not really what you want prol.

Reactions: CrgHck

Draed

Jan 4, 2022
My fav. fantasy book is The Name of the Wind.

That dude paints pictures of fantasy worlds like no other. If you're entranced by that book, the series continues with The Wise Man's Fear. That one drags a bit (i think). But i still love it.

seconded, the Kingkiller chronicle is some of the best fantasy ive read.

also try The lies of Locke Lamora, and the Core series by Peter V. Brett, both are super good. Not quite patrick rothfuss level quality but still super good reads. Also the Silo series by Hugh if you like some dystopian future, start with Wool.

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
Not too long ago I finished Imagica by Clive Barker on an audio book... 37hrs long :p.

It's so good i don't want to ruin things but we're talking multiple worlds that are fully fleshed out in Clive Barker style.

Epic Adventure. Love story. Meta-religious warped overtones. Deep and jarring lore.

REal fuckin cool.
1081771 (1).jpg

Last edited:

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
Malazan Book of the Fallen - Epic/Dark Fantasy
Wheel of Time - Epic Fantasy
Black Company - Dark Fantasy
Stormlight Archives - „colorful“ Epic Fantasy

Reactions: Khulan

Midkemma

Feb 27, 2022
Hello, I'm searching a good book to read, something similar to Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones style.
Thank you

I'm a fan of Raymond E Feist.
Magician is the first book in the Riftqware Saga,

Magic, Dragons, Dwarfs, Elves, Orcs, Goblins, Gods and Demons. IMO Epic fantasy .

About 17 books in total and spans through generations. The author used D&D sessions as inspiration.

Oh and Midkemma is a mis-spelling of Midkemia, the land within the books. Made an impression on me ^.^

Reactions: Amelia and Jybwee

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
Have another fav. book to add to my list.

Braiding Sweetgrass.

This one was a game changer.

I've been on a journey of native american research. but HOLY FUCKING SHIT@! This book took it to another level.
It treads this strange line between native teachings/ancient knowledge/botony/family/ecology/climate change/origin stories/prophecies... educational and so very deeply thought provoking.
It delicately rides the line of ancient teachings and new problems and poetically combines her very relatable life with an upbringing that should resonate with us all.