Should blocks have a cooldown before you can block again

Put a 0.5 - 1.0 second delay between parries

• Total voters

Speeddevil

Oct 14, 2020
I'm suggesting that there should be a 0.5 - 1.0 second cooldown between blocks. Reason for this is, as it is now if you have 100 ish ping and you parry the wrong way, most times you have enough time to readjust your parry to correct it before an opponent attack hits you. If you mess up your block It doesn't make sense that you can readjust it in time, if you messed up you should be punished.

Example attacking is attacking my left, I parry right, I would have a 0.5 - 1.0 second timer before I could adjust to parry left.

The timer would only apply after a block has happen, this wouldn't apply to attacks.

Reactions: Zbuciorn and bbihah

Speeddevil

Oct 14, 2020
The timer would start at the beginning on the parry, 0.5 - 1.0 second would give you enough time to reapply a parry so that you can avoid taking block dmg.

Reactions: Zbuciorn and bbihah

Belazmon

Nov 24, 2020
or make stab and overhead keys move the position to the sides. example from left to top or bottom.

Speeddevil

Oct 14, 2020
No. This will actually slow down combat, and it'll encourage people to just hold swings against you.

The parrying isn't the problem, it's the speed.
Explain to me how it would affect them holding down swings?
A parry last for 1-2 seconds so the 0.5 -1.0 timer at the start of your block would be off cd for you to reapply a parry.
This suggestion is at the start of the block so you can't switch block direction instantly if you mess up

Reactions: bbihah

Speeddevil

Oct 14, 2020
Forgot about feinting and how it would work with this, probably a bad idea, still would like to see peoples thoughts on it still.

Zeerey

Nov 28, 2020
I'm suggesting that there should be a 0.5 - 1.0 second cooldown between blocks. Reason for this is, as it is now if you have 100 ish ping and you parry the wrong way, most times you have enough time to readjust your parry to correct it before an opponent attack hits you. If you mess up your block It doesn't make sense that you can readjust it in time, if you messed up you should be punished.

Example attacking is attacking my left, I parry right, I would have a 0.5 - 1.0 second timer before I could adjust to parry left.

The timer would only apply after a block has happen, this wouldn't apply to attacks.

No just completely no, but what I would be okay with a slightly slower animation speed on the parry to be more in line with swing speed or swing speed to be sped up just a little to be more in line with parry speed

Animations should be the only bar for attacking or defending not a physical cool down

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Id rather have them speed up feints tbh. Starting a swing directly after cancelling another one (feinting) should blend both animations together instead of resetting the next swing.

Not sure if anyone knows what a super feint was from MO1 but something like that

bullfrogging

Nov 25, 2020
Why is everyone opposed to this. It would make the combat feel like Mordhau, which the mass majority of players think is good.

Reactions: bbihah

bullfrogging

Nov 25, 2020
No. This will actually slow down combat, and it'll encourage people to just hold swings against you.

The parrying isn't the problem, it's the speed.
It won't slow combat down at all, the time to kill will actually be quicker. You will have to make reads like Mordhau which is skilled, not random.

Reactions: Bernfred

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I have advocated for this for a while, I think its worth a look at in the very least.
People expect it to be very limiting, but that is all up to the factors involved. How long the CD is adjustable to feedback, how long parry is, how much stamina feinting costs, how much stamina blocking costs etc.

Mordhau, being a lobby based game has "instant" swings, because it can but A) Easily readable swings, B) Unable to hold swings and when you do a swing C) There is a slight delay before the swing is executed and includes swings not flying super fast

A) is a mandatory requirement for blocking being reactionary, B) is actually not a requirement for a system like this to work and both B) and C) can entirely depend on how long you have to charge before you can release an attack and how long before after releasing your attack it is done.

These factors(attacking, defending) can be incredibly flexible to try and make it work and a tier 0 implementation to test does not take a lot to put in for testing.

Group fights will still look about the same, blocking before the swing is even coming at you will punish you, the ability to block multiple people in a row could be there with a reset of the block timer upon a successful block. You will still have difficulties when people team up against you trying to hit you from different attack sides at the same time, rather than one by one. But that part of things is not any different to how it is now.

If someone wants to play defensively they'll have to A) become good at reading attacks and learn not to be too hasty with their parries, B) learn that there are more methods and just parrying to avoid attacks, C) there are ways to play to try and keep distance between you and the one you are fighting which helps you play defensively as it gives you more time to react on enemy movement and attacks and it means you have to move less to get out of the enemies' reach.

Only critique i have about the poll and the suggestion is that you have limited the block time cooldown to 0.5 to 1s. Its obviously not a number we know if it'll work. maybe we need a shorter or a long cooldown and its a good idea to remain vague in a circumstance like that since how long it is depends on other factors and they all need to work together. Something like saying; Put a very short cooldown on blocking direction or something the like puts the suggestion better across than any specifics that we don't know if they are too long or too short.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbuciorn

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
it will even speed up combat because people will make more mistakes, nerfed parry renewals...
in general its the way to go to make it FASTER and more SKILLED because you need to wait for the finished animation to not fall for a feint so you have less reaction time left BUT this is also the major problem and like people say its not enjoable.
its easier right now but i feel "disabled" too when the time between parrys is too long, dont forgett team fights but there should be a very small delay to balance out parry renewals so you can beat a turtle player after a long time.

Last edited:

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020

It would quickly resolve very many problems all at once.

Reactions: Zbuciorn