Who do you support in the wessex beef

• Najwalaylah

• Azzerhoden Razeri

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenGecko

Mar 14, 2021
Saw the wessex thread got locked, but im really interested in why there is beef between the two wessex factions. post your lore
Seriously? Is this the source of your bitterness? He didn't want to play a game with you? You've been holding on to a grudge for 10+ years because he hurt your feelings way back when?

I will say. I think calling a woman "bitter" and saying she has a grudge for having an extremely legitimate complaint is.. odd. I'll leave it at that. Najwa's assertion that Wessex has absentee leadership is a serious. That's a pretty hard hit against the guilds reputation, and I'm surprised you attacked her instead of offering a counter point.

I'd be annoyed too if someone who never logged into the game was trying to force decisions on the people who did play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Why do I have to cast a vote to see the results? I have no dog in this fight but I'm curious to see what people are saying.

Speaking generally about absentee leadership, I once fought a guild for two years before meeting their leader. And not like a half-hearted war. This was one of the most intensive guild wars I have ever fought to date. Both sides were hellbent on the destruction of the other until we fought so long we gained mutual respect.

The officers of the guild were independent and capable of leading the guild without the assistance of its main leader. Even after the second in command went MIA other officers took up the fight. Personally, I admire this quality. I think it is a testament to the officers of that guild. It may not say great things about the leader themself (Though in the case I'm talking about the leader was largely absent due to an IRL military deployment) but it says great things about the rest of the guild.

I am not sure why absentee leadership would be held against anyone but the leader themselves.

Not knowing more specifics, that's all I have to say.

Last edited:

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
najwalaylah is just a nosy **** who makes sure every post is purple prose so she stands out because anything she does in-game has gone completely overlooked or forgotten, -1/10

I think the whole story of Lady Kasilda, and her work in the role-playing forum, creating the whole liturgy, lore and story of the god Soldeus, was admirable.
In part, it seemed like the most complete and fascinating religious story in the game, that's why I converted to Soldeus' faith. I think he made a great contribution.
Otherwise WESSEX had already fallen when I started playing and I only listened to the stories told to me by the veteran guys from ES or Ichorus. I don't know exactly what it means to have a good or a bad reputation. Ultimately it is a matter of views and opinions.

Apparently WESEX is back. Well, we'll see what the future holds for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Its simple, the longest standing Wessex member in MO. The heart and soul of Wessex and the premier sandwich maker in Nave.

Her sammiches are the backbone behind the Wessexian thick patrols!

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
Nope, not me. I'm too busy truckin' to be fuckin' around with people here. Besides, I have no love left for that guild. Naj is still a good friend though.

As for his comment about absentee leadership; that's always been the problem in organizational terms. Too much internal drama due to their internal meta roleplay which hamstrings their ability to accomplish much in the game world. Can't maintain strong leadership positions if the "leaders" themselves get deposed by their absentee "superiors" holding mock RP criminal trials/witch hunts, and the De Jur "King/Duke" can't be asked to actually partake in managing things. Dude's too busy running his dojo in California and has no actual interest in Mortal or gaming beyond gratifying his ego.

Very much the type to pick up 'his' ball and go home when things don't go his way, so to speak.

Last edited:

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
Nope, not me. I'm too busy truckin' to be fuckin' around with people here. Besides, I have no love left for that guild. Naj is still a good friend though.

As for his comment about absentee leadership; that's always been the problem in organizational terms. Too much internal drama due to their internal meta roleplay which hamstrings their ability to accomplish much in the game world. Can't maintain strong leadership positions if the "leaders" themselves get deposed by their absentee "superiors" holding mock RP criminal trials/witch hunts, and the De Jur "King/Duke" can't be asked to actually partake in managing things. Dude's too busy running his dojo in California and has no actual interest in Mortal or gaming beyond gratifying his ego.

Very much the type to pick up 'his' ball and go home when things don't go his way, so to speak.

The legend speaks.. LONG LIVE RHODRI!

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Ah. So it is not absentee leadership in that he's gone and others took over in his absence. It's absentee leadership in that he only pops in long enough to shake things up and then leave.

I can understand why that is bad, and how it would leave some ex-members bitter.

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
Ah. So it is not absentee leadership in that he's gone and others took over in his absence. It's absentee leadership in that he only pops in long enough to shake things up and then leave.

I can understand why that is bad, and how it would leave some ex-members bitter.
It's more a mix of both. 98% of the time he simply just -Is. Not. There.- so he has people like Azerrhoden, Altus, Bastor, Otto, Myself (some names you'd be familiar with in contrast to the first two) who, with his "blessing" maintained de facto organizational command for the MO chapter, but with appropriate deference to the guild's meta RP and Heirarchy.

Simply put, Manus afforded no real effort into having strong enough top Brass to handle the day to day and the middle managers who ACTUALLY handled day to day operations got next to no internal support and next to no recognition for their efforts.

In my case, they ended up turning on and burning me (figuratively) in their internal RP, all my work for years to secure their interests and keep people engaged was dismantled and any rank or honors I had revoked based on lies or faulty "evidence" in their mock "trials".

Suffice it to say I was not pleased with how things were handled and I made my departure and moved on from that guild.

Wessex in a leadership organizational manner practically neuters its NCO's and makes the structure very top heavy. Which I suppose is somewhat appropriate for the RP but it defeats the purpose when your "leader's" excuse for not promoting people is because the metagame prerequisites to support certain facets of the meta RP are left wanting.

Per example. To be a "Knight" in Wessex required the bestowment of a fief unto the Knight for which the Knight or Lord would have authority to practically raise their own sub-guild, their own army, and produce their own resources with the stipulations that manpower would go to the Kingdom when called upon, taxed income, etc.

Knight Bachelor's by contrast were nobility in title but were vagabonds, had no fiefs. Wessex only held 3 keeps at its Apex in power and even then they were not exactly afforded to or assigned to anyone because Manus couldn't be asked to engage in the formalities.

TL;DR shit sucked because the people playing MO were too hardcore and engaged for WSX and the Head of it all couldn't be asked to do basic admin shit on the website, let alone play with the guild.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
So it seems like you're not returning to MO2 because your old guild destroyed and devalued everything you worked for, and the community is toxic. Sounds like a great motivation to kill people. Hope you'll reconsider. I didn't play MO1 long enough to know you all that well, but the distinct impression I got when I did play is that you pretty much were Wessex in MO1. Fairly sure you're not without people who would remember you favorably if you raised your own banner.

You're on the forums here so obviously there is still a part of you that would enjoy riding back into MO2 and bringing death and destruction upon your enemies.

Last edited:

Kanye West

Jul 6, 2020
Wessex is bad because they're one of the only groups that could lose a fight when they outnumbered someone 2 to 1. They've also had several instances of them calling allies for help. Then showing up to the fight with low-tier bone gear while their allies wore steel/cronite.

If Wessex calls you for help don't go dressed in your best. 🤣😂😭

As for the drama. I link to you the official Rhodri expulsion threads.

Rhodri killed his boy, looted him, and then claims(he) deleted his gear. Savage

This post explains Azzer's view of the situation, and I can't say I really disagree with it. Deleting all gear because you're losing a fight to GUTS is a beta move anyways.

Zaleo's perspective on what happened: https://duchyofwessex.org/forum/sho...ze-Mister-Rhodri-Taliesin&p=152892#post152892
rhodri ran to town and banked more of my items and laughed about it afterwards

lmao. I don't know what the real truth is here, but Rhodri got deposed for a reason.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
The main reason people hated Wessex is because of the RP. Hard core pvpers love nothing more than to hate on role players.

A bunch of elitist computer nerds hating on other computer nerds for being more nerdy because they like to role play, while they themselves are playing a role playing game. The ultimate irony I know, and yet, it’s like this in pretty much every pvp game out there.

Wessex was never a strong pvp guild despite having some really good pvpers like Otto and Rhodry. Most people were more interested in RP than pvp. That made them an easy target and butt of many jokes. They were also one of the very few long standing blue guilds, and red guilds love to hate all blue guilds.

in truth they were very friendly and helpful guild for many new players, and mostly did their own thing. They didn’t greef or exploit and enjoyed the white knight playstyle. They added much needed diversity to the landscape and were always entertaining in their matching uniforms and RP fanfare.

I myself will welcome seeing them around again.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021
I find it hilarious to see posts like this. The continued fascination by outsiders in a guild I've called home for 11 years is, frankly, remarkable.

Remarkable in how a group of players can have such an effect clearly demonstrates our ability to get into so many people's heads, simply because of our insistence to play games by our own rules. Hell, the fact that we can be so up front about what we intend to do (engage in light RP while having fun) and still be successful despite being the target of so many player's best efforts to ruin our experience or drive us from a game is a testament to the tenacity of every member of Wessex. Even those no longer active still enjoy receiving our newsletters and loving every minute of us playing games on our own terms.

As for Manus's participation - I would argue that Manus was 99.9999% absent from MO1. He simply didn't have time and had no desire to play the game. Who in their right mind would expect someone to play a game they were not interested in? It's absurd. Other members in Wessex leadership positions did want to play the first iteration of MO and fly the Wessex banner while doing so. So he set expectations accordingly, they would have to do so without him. Funny how their leadership failure was his fault. How they were 'forced' to engage in a 'coup-d'etat' that included the theft of all the guild content; how US copyright law thwarted their plans for a 'Kingdom of Wessex'; how the majority of the active guild members at that time refused to support them; and ultimately how at that time they pretty much had full reign on running the guild as they saw fit and still 'screwed the pooch'. I guess the mantra for the internet age is: if at first you don't succeed, run to a forum somewhere and whine about how you were done wrong. At least the majority of the folks involved in that escapade took ownership of their actions and moved on with their lives.

As for Manus's participation in other online games:
  • He was active in Elder Scrolls Online when that game launched.
  • He was active in Life is Feudal, especially the meta and RP events we held in the first version of the world.
  • He was very, very active for the pre-meta going on for Chronicles of Elyria and creating a lot of the background information the new Kingdom was going to use.
For this round of MO2 he will again be 99.9999% absent, because again, he doesn't enjoy this game. Which is fine because Wessex has a solid leadership team. Once the game launches and we are actively playing, our Chancellor Zanth Firebrand will be overseeing the day to day activities alongside our Chamberlain McMatty Timberfall. We also have other Ducal Court appointees with specific tasks of responsibilities. My role in the guild is to ensure we hold to traditions and to engage in diplomacy with other guilds in MO2.

And as always, Manus is a discord message away for members.

I'll also jump in here and add something about Rhodri, as it seems he comes up in conversations in game almost as much as Manus. :)

Rhodri was not kicked out of Wessex. He did not betray us. He did not act in any manner that warranted his expulsion from the guild. Rhodri left Wessex because he disagreed with the actions and decisions of leadership (primarily Manus, Kaylem and myself) and there is nothing wrong with leaving on those terms. In fact, being up front about it and leaving in that manner is honorable and should always be respected. I personally like Rhodri (except in brief moments of outrage after he'd snipe me in Planetside 2) and I always respected his directness when sharing his viewpoint, whether I agreed with him or not.

Seriously, hope you are doing well Rhodri!

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I find it hilarious to see posts like this. The continued fascination by outsiders in a guild I've called home for 11 years is, frankly, remarkable.

Remarkable in how a group of players can have such an effect clearly demonstrates our ability to get into so many people's heads, simply because of our insistence to play games by our own rules. Hell, the fact that we can be so up front about what we intend to do (engage in light RP while having fun) and still be successful despite being the target of so many player's best efforts to ruin our experience or drive us from a game is a testament to the tenacity of every member of Wessex. Even those no longer active still enjoy receiving our newsletters and loving every minute of us playing games on our own terms.

As for Manus's participation - I would argue that Manus was 99.9999% absent from MO1. He simply didn't have time and had no desire to play the game. Who in their right mind would expect someone to play a game they were not interested in? It's absurd. Other members in Wessex leadership positions did want to play the first iteration of MO and fly the Wessex banner while doing so. So he set expectations accordingly, they would have to do so without him. Funny how their leadership failure was his fault. How they were 'forced' to engage in a 'coup-d'etat' that included the theft of all the guild content; how US copyright law thwarted their plans for a 'Kingdom of Wessex'; how the majority of the active guild members at that time refused to support them; and ultimately how at that time they pretty much had full reign on running the guild as they saw fit and still 'screwed the pooch'. I guess the mantra for the internet age is: if at first you don't succeed, run to a forum somewhere and whine about how you were done wrong. At least the majority of the folks involved in that escapade took ownership of their actions and moved on with their lives.

• He was active in Life is Feudal, especially the meta and RP events we held in the first version of the world.
  • He was very, very active for the pre-meta going on for Chronicles of Elyria and creating a lot of the background information the new Kingdom was going to use.
For this round of MO2 he will again be 99.9999% absent, because again, he doesn't enjoy this game. Which is fine because Wessex has a solid leadership team. Once the game launches and we are actively playing, our Chancellor Zanth Firebrand will be overseeing the day to day activities alongside our Chamberlain McMatty Timberfall. We also have other Ducal Court appointees with specific tasks of responsibilities. My role in the guild is to ensure we hold to traditions and to engage in diplomacy with other guilds in MO2.

I'll also jump in here and add something about Rhodri, as it seems he comes up in conversations in game almost as much as Manus. :)

Rhodri was not kicked out of Wessex. He did not betray us. He did not act in any manner that warranted his expulsion from the guild. Rhodri left Wessex because he disagreed with the actions and decisions of leadership (primarily Manus, Kaylem and myself) and there is nothing wrong with leaving on those terms. In fact, being up front about it and leaving in that manner is honorable and should always be respected. I personally like Rhodri (except in brief moments of outrage after he'd snipe me in Planetside 2) and I always respected his directness when sharing his viewpoint, whether I agreed with him or not.

I was considering making a thread similar to this when you requested to lock the other one.

I personally find WSX interesting, the titles, the names, the procedures etc.

I was curious about this guild that I heard a lot about but never coexisted with.

Its a shame with a cool name like Manus Dei he won't be playing.

If you would be so kind as to let him know that The Dark Lord summons him on my behalf.

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road

You got sniped for being a dirty Vanu player and not keeping your head down Space 'Murica and Railjack ftw.

Work on your Situational Awareness and you'll keep your brains next time. ;)

Also I do well enough in my professional and personal life these days. It keeps me too busy for these games in any case.

Reactions: Rolufe and Rankor

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
Wessex is bad because they're one of the only groups that could lose a fight when they outnumbered someone 2 to 1. They've also had several instances of them calling allies for help. Then showing up to the fight with low-tier bone gear while their allies wore steel/cronite.

If Wessex calls you for help don't go dressed in your best. 🤣😂😭

As for the drama. I link to you the official Rhodri expulsion threads.

Rhodri killed his boy, looted him, and then claims(he) deleted his gear. Savage

This post explains Azzer's view of the situation, and I can't say I really disagree with it. Deleting all gear because you're losing a fight to GUTS is a beta move anyways.

Zaleo's perspective on what happened: https://duchyofwessex.org/forum/sho...ze-Mister-Rhodri-Taliesin&p=152892#post152892

lmao. I don't know what the real truth is here, but Rhodri got deposed for a reason.
I don't like double commenting but I will add a few things onto this since Kanye here is misrepresenting some things.

1: Zaleos was a relatively new recruit.

2: I never killed him; with the exception of a moment outside Meduli where he sicced a pack of tamed wolves on me.

Edit: It seems even my memory of events is faulty these days. Reviewed the links it appears even my own admission was that I landed the killing blow on him. Which would indicate that he got caught in friendly fire during the chaos of mixed melee.

3: The items he was upset about were things he asked me to try and take back to town in the middle of the siege on the Desert Keep. I told him I could not guarantee their safety, he accepted the risk.

4: Deleting items when escaping from a combat where survival is unlikely is pretty standard protocol in almost any guild. Deny the enemy as many spoils as possible.

I've known people who destroyed Draco Armor books just to deny ganking marauders. Stacks of steel and gold deleted. Even cronite and ogh.

I stand by my actions at the time period. War is hellish and not for the feint of heart, let alone a new recruit who had not detached themselves from possession in MO, malicious intent and action had nothing to do with it.

And not least of all

5: I was never expelled from Wessex. I voluntarily left as Azz detailed. There was a strong but mutual dissolution of loyalties between top brass and myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolufe

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
I squired for Rhodri and tried to depose Wessex leadership and replace with Turnix.

It seems Wessex learned lessons from MO1 and will be interesting to see what they are capable of in MO2.

Trinsic Empire is in fact Allied with Wessex currently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.