What is ping normalisation? 286 ping vs Risars

Bloodmasked

Jan 25, 2022
Hey what is it like to face Risars if you are from UK/Europe? I have 286 ping from NZ with a stable internet connection and good pc.

I have attached a clip of a Risar hitting me because I struggle to beat Risars if they feint me or hold the attacks since I cannot parry it in time. If they only do non-instant basic attacks then I can parry them on time most of the time. Fighting 2 Risars or more at a time would likely be totally impossible for me.

I did not test what its like against players. In the clip I get a parry sound effect but I get hit anyway, if a low ping player performs the same action will they also be hit by the Risar?

I understand I can hold my parry but then it will become a block and I won't be able to immediately return an attack.

My guess/understanding is that a European player has 0.5 seconds to react to an attack when they see it and they can parry successfully, is this accurate?, but for me it seems to be less or impossible to react unless I am holding the block before I even see the attack?

Thanks for reading I hope this post can help clear up my understanding of ping normalisation, because it affects me greatly since I am playing with extremely high ping.

Risar clip (5 secs long) https://streamable.com/edwcj7

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Simplified is that ping normalisation makes it so that people with good ping, this case its <100 ping, are supposed to be getting the same delays and reaction time as someone who was 100 ping. Reason behind it is mainly because it removes a part of the advantage of being a low ping player vs a high ping player and eliminates it almost entirely in the event of say a 40 ping player vs a 100~ ping player.

In theory thats how its supposed to work in a perfect world. Its not perfect.

Bloodmasked

Jan 25, 2022
When I look at my video clip on my video editor of him swinging it appears that there is about 0.14 seconds from the time the animation starts to me receiving damage.

Supposedly the human reaction time is around 0.25 seconds and then also add on the time it takes to press right click and move the mouse the correct direction, I don't understand how it can be possible to parry such an attack?

Therefore shouldn't attacks take somewhere above 0.25 seconds but of course below 1.0 seconds (to ensure its not too slow paced) to land?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Your ping is abnormally high. Heck I'm even amazed you're allowed to play at all with it that high.

You are in the worst possible location sadly, you're going to have to wait until there is a NA server... Or move to Europe.

You might shave off some ping using tunnelling/vpn programs. You're supposed to have as close to 100 ping or lower as possible for a optimal experience. Dont think you can get very good ping literally on the other side of the globe, physics is sort of not on your side in this endeavor i'm afraid.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Hey what is it like to face Risars if you are from UK/Europe? I have 286 ping from NZ with a stable internet connection and good pc.

I have attached a clip of a Risar hitting me because I struggle to beat Risars if they feint me or hold the attacks since I cannot parry it in time. If they only do non-instant basic attacks then I can parry them on time most of the time. Fighting 2 Risars or more at a time would likely be totally impossible for me.

I did not test what its like against players. In the clip I get a parry sound effect but I get hit anyway, if a low ping player performs the same action will they also be hit by the Risar?

I understand I can hold my parry but then it will become a block and I won't be able to immediately return an attack.

My guess/understanding is that a European player has 0.5 seconds to react to an attack when they see it and they can parry successfully, is this accurate?, but for me it seems to be less or impossible to react unless I am holding the block before I even see the attack?

Thanks for reading I hope this post can help clear up my understanding of ping normalisation, because it affects me greatly since I am playing with extremely high ping.

Risar clip (5 secs long) https://streamable.com/edwcj7

Unfortunately in your clip that is just a Risar holding his attack a bit longer than normal, that is not due to lag, they do that sometimes. It is just a pain in the ass. But also ping normalization does not really help most of the PacRim players this includes west coast US or Alaska and parts of South America. Which is why I have since changed my mind about the next server Sarduca should be based out of North America, because it would give the best ping for all involved. Most Australian players have a sub 180ms ping to most of the US same goes for South America and the EU.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Try Exitlag. Ive heard its one of the best ping lowering services. Many high ping players swear by it. It wont get you down to 100 ping, but it might shave off 50 ping or more and make it much more playable.

This game sucks with any ping higher than 150. Also you risk getting kicked from server if you start teleporting around and people report you.