What does the game need to get popular ? Which mechanics should have priority ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
The game is not even released yet and that is why it have a kinda low population atm. I have many friends who told me that they played many early access games and rather want toexperience the full experiance, to not get burned out before all the mechanics are added. Some told me that they want to wait, till we can bind all directional blocks/attacks on seperate Keys, becuase they want to use the attack modifiers charge attack option, but his is not possible, becuase we cant bind the mid and overhead block on seperate Keys. If you enable that option you have to aim upwards and downwards with the mouse to block and this lead to imput errors, if you are surrounded by several opponents which you try to block and have to move your mouse horizontally. You cant move your mose horizontally and look up and down at the same time, without getting imput errors. Another friend told me that he not gonna farm like crazy to get materials such as tungsteel, if everything get wiped. It have reasons, why the population of a test Beta is not very big. SV only added the mobs for testing the AI, so that the testers not know all spawns and creatures in advance, becuase SV want to have us something to explore after release. Many pathways in the dungens are still locked and miss the full variety of different Mobs. I think Steam is making great advertising for new games and that´s why i think that the population of MO2 will be huger as expected.

i have some real life friends who played Chivalery with me for years. They all told me that they want to wait tillt he game get released and that they are exited. I think my friends aren't the only ones who think that way.

Only the most loyal players from the first game invest so much time in testing an unfinished product, because they had a lot of fun with MO1, found ingame freinds and know what the game offered in the endgame and how much potential it have, if it have a nice grafic and won´t be a buggy mess as MO1.

The population will increase a lot after release ! At least that´s my speculation. 80 k keys were gone during first stresstest. MMOGA went down. The Question is how to keep those players playing for a long time.
In MO2 a lot of content is still missing.

What does the game need to succeed and what should have absolute priority to adjust the gamewold for a bigger population ?

Very important are situational Spawn timers, depending on how many players are online. Its a difference if 5k, 10k, 15k or 50 k Players are playing. The more people playing the higher the spawn rates have to be and the more dungens we have to have and the more hotspot dungens and world events we have to have. I will explain it a bit later in the post. What if 100 or 200 k Players would like to play the game.
Does it really make sense from the perspective of a company to limit the sales, if so many players want to play the game and do not fit on one server, or should SV be prepared to set up a second Gameworld for NA Players and merge the 2 worlds, if the population would drop ?

Does the game have potential to get very popular ? That depends on the development. I see great potential in crafting, if SV adds more dungens, roleplay features, gambling and boad games, more reasons for PVP and a lot of World Events. I think there is a lot of potential in the gambling games. If you can play games such as dice poker, checkers, Chess or mill with other players and be able to gamble away your money in the pub. I could imagine that many players only play the game because of that, because of the crafting and hunting, becuase they want to build their own town, keep or base, but we will see. A good game must be fun and deliver content for all types of gamers. The PVP players, the roleplayers, the traders and the PVE adventurers on the same Server. This is exactly what SV is trying to do this time. It is important to have enough dungens, world events and terretory controll as fast as possible to get reasons to do PVP, so that the dungens are not the only PVP hotspots. There is a lot of feedback in this regard. I recommend SV to read it, becuase it is very important, that the Dungens are not the only Hotspots for PVP and that they are not all located in the North ! The players need to
distributed in different cities. We need many PVP Hotspots beside dungens, That´s the reason why the World Events and terretoy controll should have priority in the development.
In this article, I'll describe it in more detail.

https://www.mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/map-feedback-the-dungens-are-distributed-unfairly-the-way-is-too-long-from-some-cities-we-need-more-strategic-located-dungens.3200/#post-37855

I find the graphics very appealing this time and MO1 provided a lot of content. I think the game has a lot of potential, because all the mechanics don't have to be reinvented, but just have to be taken over from the first game one by one. SV had over 15 years to gather feedback and balance the mechanics. The team now consists of 30 programmers. Richard Garriot always said that a good MMO needs 15 years of development. Most of the mechanics are still not imlemented, but that will happen over time and we get a huge Patch every 15 days. So I'm pretty confident that the game could become very popular. Never as popular as a theme park MMO, but for players who appreciated MMOs like Ultima Online and love crafting and played such games for years. I prefer a game with a lot of endgame content. Better a smaller but loyal playerbase, who plays the game every day for years than a theme park MMO, which millions of players buy and stop playing as soon as their characters are leveled, because the game does not deliver an endgame, a working economy and PVP does not reward the players. In most MMOs, PVP is meaningless. It make no sense to play as a crafter in Theme Park MM0´s. I can´t get it how players can enjoy games such as WOW and New World. I could not play that game for more then 3 days.

Here a list of all activities we will get in MO2 https://steamcommunity.com/app/1170950/discussions/0/2962796621645555474/

Many developers can deliver a lot of content, but in the end it all comes down to the netcode. I think SV has achieved a lot here. This 500 man fight and the technology behind it convinced me. Each node is a server and when a region is overcrowded, the other servers provide their computing power. In the beginning it was unplayable with 500 players fighting on the screen. There was a lot of lag in the beginning and I was thrown on the login screen. But that was due to a bug that caused the spawns to double, triple and quadruple, when the other servers provided their computing power. The video was recorded during the stress test. I think SV will still optimize a few things before release. If a fight with 200-300 players works well, the game definitely has a lot of potential. I think this is a brilliant achievement, considering that it is a game with hitboxes and a Mount and Blade combat system. In MO1 the game was already unplayable with 50 players on the battlefield. This is not the case in MO2 ! Regarding the netcode, SV has done a good job ! At least that's my opinion and I've played the game for over 700 hours and participated in all the big fights and try to review the development.

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
In addition, we would need an Even / Quest NPC who picks out a different dungeon every week and demands items from this dungeon as a currency for different items. The dungeon should change every week. It's about creating PVP hotspots. During this time special mobs should spawn there, the boss should drop rings, special animals and monsters for taming / domination could spawn, etc. The PVP players could smash their heads there and the other dungens would be relieved. Some players just want to farm their dungeon on the weekend without getting involved in major fights and the PVP Community want more PVP Hotspots and reasons for PVP.
That would also lead to more players wanting to build houses near each dungeon and transport items around the world. I don't think it's good when the most lucrative dungeon is farmed over and over again. This idea would bring variety. The most lucrative dungeon would change weekly.

I forgot also forgot to mention that we need to have different reset ranges for different mobs and even different rest ranges for the same mobs depending on the Speed and depending if those are open World Mobs or Mobs from a Camp. A mob in the open World should reset a bit earlier as Mobs from a Risar or Banditcamp, becuase some Builds as Archers and Mages have to kite them and it feels bad if they reset to early. Especially if you play a mage and wasted a lot of mana. The reset Ranges of Bosses in the open World liek Trolls should be huge ! They reset too early. The Zombies in the GV in Heaven reset way too early ! Henrick already told that the creatures get a new Pathing, so they cant be trapped at fences and so on. Then the Bandit and Risar Camps will be a total different experiance. The individual reset Ranges are improtant, but not as important as the pathing and not as important as the Worldevents and enough dungens and individual spawn timers, to make the game working and enjoyable for a bigger playerbase.

Last edited:

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
I forgot to mention that we need to have different reset ranges for different mobs and even different rest ranges for the same mobs depending on the Speed and depending if those are open World Mobs or Mobs from a Camp. A mob in the open World should reset a bit earlier as Mobs from a Risar or Banditcamp, becuase some Builds as Archers and Mages have to kite them and it feels bad if they reset to early. Especially if you play a mage and wasted a lot of mana. The reset Ranges of Bosses in the open World liek Trolls should be huge ! They reset too early. The Zombies in the GV in Heaven reset way too early ! Henrick already told that the creatures get a new Pathing, so they cant be trapped at fences and so on. Then the Bandit and Risar Camps will be a total different experiance. The individual reset Ranges are improtant, but not as important as the pathing and not as important as the Worldevents and enough dungens and individual spawn timers, to make the game working and enjoyable for a bigger playerbase.
Its good that mobs dosent take forever to reset. That way they cant be cheesed as easily.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Its good that mobs dosent take forever to reset. That way they cant be cheesed as easily.

What you mean with cheesed ? If the mobs reset, they will have full Hitpoints again. SV have already changed that in the last Patch.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Ideas to improve the Wartag system.

Smaller Guilds should be able to wartag bigger Guilds without they getting a Massage,
in which they are asked whether they want to accept the war.

Bigger Guilds should be able to wartag a smaller Guild, but in this case they
should be asked whether they would like to accept the war.

It should take at least 8 hours before the declaration of war becomes active and every Guild Member should get a Massage !
The Guild XYZ have decided that the Guild xyz have ... hours to leave the town, before we will take it by force.

A small guild with less then 10 Members should be able to declare war on as many large guilds as they want. There shouldn't be a cap.

It would be bad for the game, if large PVP guilds could declare war on the smaller PVE and Roleplayer Guilds and if the war would become active immediatly. The same Rule should apply for blacklisting a Player but the TIme should be much shorter. The blacklisted Player should have 20 Minutes time to be able to trade his Stuff to a friend or put it in the Broker and sell it.

I think that the possibility of blacklisting individual griefers is
is completely sufficient. We not need to be able to Wartag small Guilds in a way it was possible in MO1 and i think that would harm the game.

Now to the much bigger propblem how to fix the Flagging system !

Viknus recommendation is not fixing the flagging system problem. We need a new color for the flagging system and i want to explain why. It could also be a hidden color ! That doesn´t matter.

The Problem is that your Character turn red after a huge battle. I have over 50 Murdercounts and i did not PK anyone. Just from the Stresstest Battles and defending the new Players from town attacks. It is bad if the largest PVP Guilds that are owning a Keep can give Murdercounts to each other.

Either the game would have to recognize when a huge fight is taking place, so that no player can give murder counts, but this would be too hard to program and implement to the game. That´s why we need a new colour for the flagging system. It could also be a new hidden colour. Murderers are not highlighted in red but are hidden red. Same could apply for this new purple colour. There should be a difference between the orange and purple colour. Orange players can be attacked in towns and purple players should not be able to get attacked in towns.
Neither orange players nor purple players should be able to give each other murder counts.

All Guilds owning a Keep should be in war with each other and flagged hidden purple to each other. That means that they can´t give Murdercounts to each other.

Another possibility would be if the guild that occupies a city could deactivate the option to give murder counts for specific Guilds and specific Players in their owned region.

The current system punish Players that will only play on 1 Account. I defend our Town from PKS and try to roleplay the good guy defending the new Palyers and get a murderer for killing the attackers.
I am treated as a murderer from the Guards instead of being celebrated as a hero in the city. Ingratitude is an honorary citizen's reward. Just like in real life.

I don´t want to be punished for a non toxic behavior, becuase i defended our town.

It is bad for the game if every PVP Player turn red.

Red players that can never get blue again tend to kill everyone. We need a hard punishment for red players and many mechanics to prevent getting Murdercounts.

An optional Faction System like the Chaos Order System in Ultima Online and that the Guilds owning a keep are in war and can´t give murdercounts to each other would be good ways to avoid murdercounts. It is bad for the game if every Player that participate in big battles get red after the battle and maybe never get blue again. Red Players that can´t get blue again tent to kill everyone. Even Players not interestedf in PVP.

I think we should be able to kill everyone we want, but we need a hard punishment for murderers and many ways to avoid murdercounts.

I would like to see a Chaos/Order System like in UO. That we get different Factions which a Guild leader or Player without a guild could
join. Any player from a different faction should be flagged orange.
Behind the Player Name of a factionmember, the name of the respective faction should be shown in brackets.
Here's an example
Players who belong to a guild who own a keep should be shown purple to other guilds who own a keep [Koto] General Buttnaked (Tindremic Faction) and their names should be shown in orange color to the Members of a different Faction. [Koto] General Buttnaked (Tindremic Faction)

Status
Not open for further replies.