What does Hardcore in MMORPG mean to you?

tempington

Apr 7, 2022
Hardcore PvP almost always means "open" or "non-consensual" PvP, whether loot is involved or not. When referring to the fact that you need to engage your brain in any capacity to play the video game I usually call that "old-school MMO", as all of the MMOs used to have depth, immersion, and logical gameplay mechanics. Now the MMOs are incredibly mindless and hollow games that are just vessels to encourage gambling addiction and P2W swiping.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Hardcore PvP almost always means "open" or "non-consensual" PvP, whether loot is involved or not. When referring to the fact that you need to engage your brain in any capacity to play the video game I usually call that "old-school MMO", as all of the MMOs used to have depth, immersion, and logical gameplay mechanics. Now the MMOs are incredibly mindless and hollow games that are just vessels to encourage gambling addiction and P2W swiping.

the option for non consensual pvp is there. There is also the option of being able to talk your way out of it, trick your opponent, etc. The 'wrinkle' of PK is just another tool someone can use to threaten you, it adds to the number of outcomes or, metaphorical, cards you can play.

I dunno if I agree there is ever such thing as consensual pvp. haha. There is either pvp or not. Games with consensual pvp have arenas and the game itself is non pvp. Like if you go to a court to play basketball, you might get on the court, but once you're on the court, you can't be like ok ok I don't accept you stealing the ball from me, give it back. You know? It's just a weird made up term imo.

In MO it's just like the majority of the game space is 'the court.' Where as in a game like league or whatever, the court is just what you spawn into, but once the game starts, it's still full on pvp. I dunno if that makes sense, but IT DOES TO ME.