very first impressions of the alpha

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
here is a quick feedback based on my very first impression of the alpha: I played just around 2 hours last night, in between several crashes, so it is really based on first impressions

- crashes: I just wanted to address this first, in an otherwise very positive first impression. I am experiencing frequent crashes, mostly of 2 types: UE engine crashes while playing (not sure how to fix those) and full PC restarts when loading the map. the second type is probably related to my PC and has nothing to do with the game. might be my SSD reaching the end of its days. I'm trying to change different things to isolate the issue.

- First impression on the game: It looks good! It feels good!
crashes aside, I am really impressed by how nice the world and characters look, the overall performance (i can keep steady 60fps and probably 120 as well with a 5yo PC, setings on medium-high and 1980x resolution). also the new game interface feels so much more fast and responsive, compared to MO1

- ping: I think SV must have build MO2 servers in my basement while I was not home. otherwise I could not explain how I would get stable 17ms ping while playing from the middle of the Pacific ocean. quite impressive.

-skills: the skill system is pretty much the same of MO1, which is good! a missed opportunity here from SV was to remove some of the "forced" combat skills. what i mean by "forced"? all the skills related to combat movement (Cmanouvering etc etc) which affect combat STAM regen and walking speed. I call them forced because they are a must-have for any foot fighter, since movement and speed is key, especially in this slower combat (more on it below). I really liked the change in racial background, which does not force people anymore to play Thursars only: would have be nice to have the same for these skills which everyone is going to have (and probably macro up, like in MO1), which would open up more diversified builds imo.
my suggestion: either make them all passive (including the parent skill) or remove them altogether. in MO1 was quite frustrating for new players waddling around at slug speed, until those slow skills would level up. that's not the type of character progression you want in a game, that just makes people annoyed and not engaged.

- melee combat: big disclaimer here, not a big expert on combat. here is my opinion though based on a whole TWO duels in bakti: the slower combat feels nice to me, probably because I am a noob :D. parrying is indeed a bit too easy, and really encourages turtling in duels. I didn't like much the idea of bandaging while running: chasing people down is already quite problematic, and adding the option to bandage on the run means players could probably run away indefinitely. however as i said I am no expert and I need to test more the combat with different weapons/amors as well

- crafting (weapons): the new crafting window is amazing! feels so much better than the MO1. and i love all the additional crafting options for weapon hilts/heads. big props here because it is definitely an improvement. with the slower swing speed, old MO1 crafting combinations which focused on fast and hard hitting weapons (namely Spw/ironsilk handles) do not seem that good anymore. more realistically, you can actually make the core of a weapon with steel (instead of Spw, the MO equivalent of cork) for much more durability and minimal extra weight. need to test more armor crafting, but so far there seems to be pretty linear correlation between amount of material and weight/protection. as mentioned in other threads, there seems to be a hard weight cap on armor weight, after which you start moving slower. I would also be more in favor of a linear slope (more weight = less speed), otherwise armor crafting will be reduced to finding the optimal armor combination with the most damage reduction just below the weight cap, I feel.

- hunting/butchering: tbd

- mining and extraction: tbd (is this even in the game yet? cannot even find the mining/woodcutting skills)

overall impression: extremely positive! It is definitely an improvement over MO1. I hope SV capitalizes this by releasing MO2 with most of the features developed in MO1 over almost 10 years, so that the game at launch feels more complete and new players will stay in the game more.

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
here is a quick feedback based on my very first impression of the alpha: I played just around 2 hours last night, in between several crashes, so it is really based on first impressions

- crashes: I just wanted to address this first, in an otherwise very positive first impression. I am experiencing frequent crashes, mostly of 2 types: UE engine crashes while playing (not sure how to fix those) and full PC restarts when loading the map. the second type is probably related to my PC and has nothing to do with the game. might be my SSD reaching the end of its days. I'm trying to change different things to isolate the issue.

- First impression on the game: It looks good! It feels good!
crashes aside, I am really impressed by how nice the world and characters look, the overall performance (i can keep steady 60fps and probably 120 as well with a 5yo PC, setings on medium-high and 1980x resolution). also the new game interface feels so much more fast and responsive, compared to MO1

- ping: I think SV must have build MO2 servers in my basement while I was not home. otherwise I could not explain how I would get stable 17ms ping while playing from the middle of the Pacific ocean. quite impressive.

-skills: the skill system is pretty much the same of MO1, which is good! a missed opportunity here from SV was to remove some of the "forced" combat skills. what i mean by "forced"? all the skills related to combat movement (Cmanouvering etc etc) which affect combat STAM regen and walking speed. I call them forced because they are a must-have for any foot fighter, since movement and speed is key, especially in this slower combat (more on it below). I really liked the change in racial background, which does not force people anymore to play Thursars only: would have be nice to have the same for these skills which everyone is going to have (and probably macro up, like in MO1), which would open up more diversified builds imo.
my suggestion: either make them all passive (including the parent skill) or remove them altogether. in MO1 was quite frustrating for new players waddling around at slug speed, until those slow skills would level up. that's not the type of character progression you want in a game, that just makes people annoyed and not engaged.

- melee combat: big disclaimer here, not a big expert on combat. here is my opinion though based on a whole TWO duels in bakti: the slower combat feels nice to me, probably because I am a noob :D. parrying is indeed a bit too easy, and really encourages turtling in duels. I didn't like much the idea of bandaging while running: chasing people down is already quite problematic, and adding the option to bandage on the run means players could probably run away indefinitely. however as i said I am no expert and I need to test more the combat with different weapons/amors as well

- crafting (weapons): the new crafting window is amazing! feels so much better than the MO1. and i love all the additional crafting options for weapon hilts/heads. big props here because it is definitely an improvement. with the slower swing speed, old MO1 crafting combinations which focused on fast and hard hitting weapons (namely Spw/ironsilk handles) do not seem that good anymore. more realistically, you can actually make the core of a weapon with steel (instead of Spw, the MO equivalent of cork) for much more durability and minimal extra weight. need to test more armor crafting, but so far there seems to be pretty linear correlation between amount of material and weight/protection. as mentioned in other threads, there seems to be a hard weight cap on armor weight, after which you start moving slower. I would also be more in favor of a linear slope (more weight = less speed), otherwise armor crafting will be reduced to finding the optimal armor combination with the most damage reduction just below the weight cap, I feel.

- mining and extraction: tbd (is this even in the game yet? cannot even find the mining/woodcutting skills)

overall impression: extremely positive! It is definitely an improvement over MO1. I hope SV capitalizes this by releasing MO2 with most of the features developed in MO1 over almost 10 years, so that the game at launch feels more complete and new players will stay in the game more.

The combat feels nice to me too. It should feel turtlie right now without kicks and other speacial moves. I love how fights look real now instead of figure-8 ice skating like MO1.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
bump, with few additions after few days of "testing"

- crashes: unfortunately are very frequent, and they happen of 2 types: UE4 crashes, where the game just closes and i get a UE4 crash report window, and full PC restarts, where my PC decides he had enough and just turns himself off and on.
at first I thought the full restarts was an hardware issue from my side, either the GPU overheating or PSU failing, but I have run several stress tests and nothing restarts the pc (CPU stress, GPU stress, and even PSU stress). Additionally, with the same PC I am able to run doom eternal high at 144fps crisp, and the witcher 3 in 4k. I am running MO2 at "minimum" settings, 1980x res windowed.
these restart crashes happen 90% during the "loading map" phase of login, and the other 10% if i am running long time in ghost mode. Both GPU and CPU temp at the time of restart are nowhere near critical (around 60C for the CPU and 80C for the GPU). since this happens only with MO2 I think is a game-related issue (particularly the fact that most times it happens during the "loading map" phase, or just the game is more demanding than a stress test. If someone has more idea on what could cause those restarts would help a lot.

- map: the map is quite big as promised and the environment looks nice! this is a bit of a double-edged sword though. until we get mounts, the current slug speed of maxed characters we get in Alpha makes it so slow to go around and explore. I hope the final version of the map will have some resources concentrated in specific spots, otherwise with low population a very large map risks feeling even more empty than a small one. Ghost moving speed is quite more enjoyable (which I would assume would be closer to the speed of a mount).

- gathering/extraction: seems the same system of MO1 so far (which is good), with the addition of gems while mining. I really like the ability of crafting our own pickaxes and woodcutting axes! in this way you can invest some expensive materials to have higher durability ones. all rocks seem to be Granum for now (havent been able to reach what looks like calxs near rivers alive yet, due to the crashes), so the testing is quite limited, and no catalysts. Couldn't find refining skill yet.

- combat. I have finally fought against someone doing "the spinnies" (actually quite skilled guy which i forgot the name). I understand why people do it done, but still looks quite ridicolous :D. I won't give much feedback on combat but i hope SV will address turning speed, if anything to make this move unnecessary. ps: 1h TS pickaxes hit harder than 2h swords on heavy armor :D

- crafting: I have to correct my previous statement. Spongewood is still the king of crafting. the lighter weapons have much faster "release" swing, which makes hitting more reliable.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
re-bump

I managed to almost isolate the source of the crashes. I hope this information can be of use

full pc reset crashes: happen almost exclusively in DX12 mode and at the "loading map" stage of login. the screen colors go a bit dull, no percentage of map loading starts and few seconds later the PC restarts

UE4 crashes: happen mostly in DX11 mode (but maybe only due to the fact that in DX11 I am actually able to be in the game for a while. mostly during the "loading map" (again) or when opening the skill interface tab (L)

overall, it seems the "loading map" step of the login process is the most problematic

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Just to clarify, typing /fps in game will tell you your frame rate in fps, and your frame times in ms which is just the time between frame updates and another way of reading framerate.

The ms number is not your ping.