UO Vet Feedback

Apeck

Mar 28, 2024
As an Ultima Online player for 2 decades, I came into Mortal Online with high hopes and am severely surprised yet dissappointed on so many levels.

Pros- Immersive Combat/World, Amazing spells, amazing atmosphere, cool secrets, awesome variety of clades

Cons- Zerg promoted, gatekeeping promoted, impossible to play casually and actually progress at all, pets need an entire overhaul(Pet Bonding/Reduced pet damage) Pets should be primarily for PVE as it was in UO the design here simply does NOT work well at all. Completely awful QoL you may spend your entire freetime just running to where you need to go as the ingame map is almost useless and traveling is an entirely a guessing game when youre first joining the game, and your horse can skip over a pebble and die leaving you in the middle of nowhere. Dungeons generally have one entrance/one exit maybe two allowing one guild to gatekeep the entire dungeon making it unplayable unless you join the zerg. In order to do anything Necromancery related depending on where youre at is going to be a MASSIVE time sink of traveling safely making multiple trips or youre going to pay a MASSIVE premium just to START necromancery/ritualism(I mean this is literally part of building your character why would this be designed this way...?)

- This game took amazing fundamentals of Ultima Online yet Ultima Online still has better QoL features than this game and it was literally the first MMO ever created. Traveling should never be 50% of your gameplay youre severely restricted to what you can do on your own here as zergs currently gatekeep every dungeon almost 24/7. I mean there's literally one Vendor on the map to buy candles, circles, notes just to Use a skill and level a skill I dont understand how devs could oversight this and realize how awfully this would turn out for people not a part of that guild. It doesn't create cool immersive battles, it completely fucks solos and small groups over from being able to even finish their character.. Your options turn into farming little shit and crumbs then pay a massive premium on the brokers just to play the game handicapped against zergs.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
Im also a UO vet of 2decades and would like to see an improvement to Magical combat as its significantly nerfed in many ways. mounted magery is nerfed heavily and you cannot compete in a 1v1 as a pure mage on foot unless you are a veela in my opinion its a large oversight as far as the skill system is concerned. the skill point system from uo is amazing however when mixed with the race/clade system is clearly points out that certain races make certain classes... unfortunatly because of the way the race/clade system is made any tweak to attributes affects one clade positively and the other negatively. Like the shield weight change .. it affected ohgmirs much less then anyone else. the dagger change affected veelas far less then anyone else. etc etc. Humans are in a horrible position to play a pure mage charecter as they lack the health and speed to do so. UO was much more balanced when it came to solo play , it always came down to player skill wich is something that the clade/race system removes. I do like the idea of the clade race system but its verry drastic for every other clade then human ... theres no reason a buldging sheevra should be able to do more damage be faster and have more health then a human at the same time. the clade buffs for every race but human is HUGE. people complain about tactician clade on humans but if you nerf that clade then humans literaly have nothing good going for them. people will argue the attribute and skill points but i can tell you that the difference between having 25 str and 35 str is superficial.

UO has alot of good features that henrik has expressed his interest in implementing into the game like MIBs and Treasure hunting but now things come partially to a community vote. with like 80% of the player base playing melee charecters magic combat has gone to the back burner and many mage charecters really were looking forward to haveing staff magic as they may have been informed that they could use the staff defenseively. it ended up 11th place on the list when voted for so hopefully it will be the next thing in after these sprints are done but i have my concernes their will be another revote and it will then fall back into 11th place again. I have my hopes that mage solo gameplay will be corrected in the future but it remains to be seen.

i know for a fact there is at least 20+ i know waiting for things to be better for solo mages that arent veela. until then they will prolly remained unsubbed sitting ontop of there horse obese and sad lmao.

Reactions: Gnidex and Rahz

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
As an Ultima Online player for 2 decades, I came into Mortal Online with high hopes and am severely surprised yet dissappointed on so many levels.

Pros- Immersive Combat/World, Amazing spells, amazing atmosphere, cool secrets, awesome variety of clades

Cons- Zerg promoted, gatekeeping promoted, impossible to play casually and actually progress at all, pets need an entire overhaul(Pet Bonding/Reduced pet damage) Pets should be primarily for PVE as it was in UO the design here simply does NOT work well at all. Completely awful QoL you may spend your entire freetime just running to where you need to go as the ingame map is almost useless and traveling is an entirely a guessing game when youre first joining the game, and your horse can skip over a pebble and die leaving you in the middle of nowhere. Dungeons generally have one entrance/one exit maybe two allowing one guild to gatekeep the entire dungeon making it unplayable unless you join the zerg. In order to do anything Necromancery related depending on where youre at is going to be a MASSIVE time sink of traveling safely making multiple trips or youre going to pay a MASSIVE premium just to START necromancery/ritualism(I mean this is literally part of building your character why would this be designed this way...?)

- This game took amazing fundamentals of Ultima Online yet Ultima Online still has better QoL features than this game and it was literally the first MMO ever created. Traveling should never be 50% of your gameplay youre severely restricted to what you can do on your own here as zergs currently gatekeep every dungeon almost 24/7. I mean there's literally one Vendor on the map to buy candles, circles, notes just to Use a skill and level a skill I dont understand how devs could oversight this and realize how awfully this would turn out for people not a part of that guild. It doesn't create cool immersive battles, it completely fucks solos and small groups over from being able to even finish their character.. Your options turn into farming little shit and crumbs then pay a massive premium on the brokers just to play the game handicapped against zergs.
Absolutely right. Playing solo (800hours solo-mage here :) ) while not being impossible, is really too hard. The world is huge and i actually like it like that.
For me the biggest grievance is Mounted Builds while solo roaming. In open steppes you are simply doomed. The draw distance in this game is huge and mounted combat/archer builds are scary as fuck. MC catches you, youre dead. If an MA catches you, you are completely outgunned. Lower damage, lower range, limited ammo (Mana), lower mobility and lower rate of fire.
Also ritual pets are way too strong. They should be slower than their living counterparts and not outstam them while also having much higher HP. Also healing them with actual healing spells is dumb, coz they are undead.
I dont really mind there being zergs, the thing is YOU CANNOT avoid them. The whole map is riddled with little zerg-guild villages to a point where its impossible to traverse the map to anywhere without being spotted, making the world nothing more than a gankbox. Also it feels corrupted. The zerg is allowed to just wall off 80% of PvE content but if YOU worthless solo-peasant fish from a cliff, you could be banned for exploiting in-game mechanics -.-*

Ronin-Cross

Apr 10, 2024
UO vet here too and brand new to Mortal; I agree, it's such a bad design to allow guilds to effectively gatekeep content, especially pve content.
I don't care for the loot that they're trying to inflate the price of, I just want to see and enjoy the content; it's fun to explore, see the artwork/different styles, and fight different mobs.

What can be done aside from adding more entrances and more dungeons? Add a unique spawn that triggers after a dungeon has been camped for a period of time (with the time set randomly in a semi-short range). The mob could spawn and then stalk and attack all players and possibly settle near the entrance until it's defeated; if there's multiple entrances the zerg might have to focus on the "boss" mob to clear their entrance while leaving an alternative entrance more open for solo/small groups to sneak in.

The only other complaint I have is the crime system, why are reds in "lawful" towns? UO doesn't work that way, neither does Albion; SWG even had overt/covert status so towns guards would attack when you came in overt. MO takes inspiration from those games, it makes no sense for reds to not be relegated to the lawless towns or player cities.

That said though, I have yet to die to a red; it is always blue pk's. You should be wary of blues in games like this, but they shouldn't consistently be more volatile than a red player. One solution could be remove red access from towns but decrease vendor costs in lawless towns, add a greater range of different high tier resources near them, have their workstations give slight bonuses, ect; make it so anyone who wants to regularly pk will go red and have an incentive to stay red.

If you can somewhat trust blue players that's good for the player base and health of the game; people will impromptu work together, tackle harder content, and here's a crazy thought make some friends in the mmo.

I don't want this game to be so niche that it barely limps on. I'm loving MO2 and want it to do well, to expand even.

Lastly, isn't there "alert" towers in-game? If they're changing sieges so that you need to declare a siege to destroy bases now, why not get rid of those? First week playing so if alert towers don't exist just ignore lol; but if they do and with the addition of siege windows their only use will become to alert zergs of solo/small groups trying to sneak by to access content. There will be no threat to bases, the primary function will be to assist in gatekeeping content.

Reactions: Inai