Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost

Gavinox

Jan 5, 2022
Any tips for this crash? I get it on and off, usually 15-45 mins in. I am playing in Dx11. Dx12 causes more issues. j

i5-9600k @ 3.7
GTX 1070
32 GB ram

I have updated my gtx 1070 drivers, verified game files, disabled any sort of Nvidia Game boosters, switched from Avast to Kaspersky anti virus.

Still going to try:

Windowed mode
Dx 11 reinstall

Any tips? Thanks!

Ajido

Nov 26, 2020
Ever find any solution to your issues? I'm experiencing something similar.

Lurifax

Dec 6, 2021
I tried both stock and underclock and neither helped. :(
My hardware is i7 8700, 3080 Ti and 32gb 3200mhz CL14 ram.

Gavinox

Jan 5, 2022
I tried both stock and underclock and neither helped. :(
My hardware is i7 8700, 3080 Ti and 32gb 3200mhz CL14 ram.

Are you running Dx11? Do so if so. Also, make sure you video card is not dusty, I cleaned it as well during my troubleshooting.

Make sure view distance in-game is all the way down - doesn't impact much.

Good luck, will try to assist further if I think of more.

Lurifax

Dec 6, 2021
Are you running Dx11? Do so if so. Also, make sure you video card is not dusty, I cleaned it as well during my troubleshooting.

Make sure view distance in-game is all the way down - doesn't impact much.

Good luck, will try to assist further if I think of more.
Impossible to get a 3080 Ti dusty when it has barely existed half a year. :p

Either way I was in dx12, dx11 was working mostly on all cinematic. I found out it was afterburner that caused the crash however. Now with that closed down it works flawlessly for some reason (wasn't running overclock).

Dld00d

Jan 14, 2022
This is usually the error you get in a UE game with an unstable gpu overclock, or even a unstable factory overclock in some cases (I had a 1080 ti aorus extreme at one point that couldn't hold the boost clocks in all games. Had to underclock it like 15 mhz and never crashed again ect, gigabyte sucks)

Lurifax

Dec 6, 2021
This is usually the error you get in a UE game with an unstable gpu overclock, or even a unstable factory overclock in some cases (I had a 1080 ti aorus extreme at one point that couldn't hold the boost clocks in all games. Had to underclock it like 15 mhz and never crashed again ect, gigabyte sucks)
Was everything lowest in settings, undervolted 3080 Ti at 60C when it crashed.

Seems this is not only happening on mortal but other UE titles too with afterburner.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
D3D errors are caused by a lot of things, anything from cooked drivers, overclocks, updates required etc

Some things you can try.
- Try running windowed, instead of Fullscreen.
- If you're using DX12, try using DX11 or vice versa.
- If you have Nvidia GameBoost enabled in Geforce experience, disable it.
- Verify game files via steam.
- If you have any driver or windows updates, update. If not, try a clean install of GPU driver(I recommend using DDU for clean GPU driver installs)
- Try default GPU settings if you have a manual OC. If it's factory OC, set up a profile and lower the OC.
- Revert back to a previous GPU driver(DDU does this too)

Also, 3xxx series GPU's are overvolted at factory settings, for some retarded reason. This leads to voltage jumps which leads to increased temps, and TDP peaking when GPU is under stress. You can try undervolting your GPU, which a minor to moderate undervolt is extremely beneficial. You can reduce your temps by 3C - 10C depending on how much you undervolt and reduce power consumption by around 30W - 80W(it'll vary dependent on GPU stress) - At the cost of little to no performance decrease(0% - 1%) unless you do a heavy undervolt.

Dld00d

Jan 14, 2022
Was everything lowest in settings, undervolted 3080 Ti at 60C when it crashed.

Seems this is not only happening on mortal but other UE titles too with afterburner.

Couldn't comment on afterburner, I'm using precision x1 though (evga card), also with a 3080 ti, also have an undervolt, .875 mv @1920 mhz. Haven't got any crashes yet, took a few tries to dial that undervolt in though, wasn't stable above or below that clock at .875 mv lol. No performance loss at all and runs like 10 degrees cooler.

HappyPig

Jan 24, 2022
Honestly that error is the main reason I can't learn UE4 atm. Never happens with a game, but frequently with the UE4 engine. Running a 2070mq and it never seems to go away.

Everything I find online points to settings related to your cpu/gpu being unstable.