UE4 to UE5

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
It's not a super simple task, it's not as seamless as documentation makes it appear. While there is backwards compatibility, there is also isn't alot of backwards compatibility. Still have build certain systems and code base with UE5 in mind, as a lot of things are UE4 specific and very different in UE5, and then adapt that to the new engine codebase when you switch over.

A lot of differences in meshes, world building, lighting, water tech etc are also present in UE5, which requires manual work to adjust from UE4 standards to UE5 standards.

UE5 is no silver bullet, it's not going to fix every major issue with the game, but will improve workflow and offer a lot of stepping stones for future improvements, when UE5 matures over the coming years.

I can see how it would be something more than just pressing a button to migrate UE4 to UE5, it would be naive to think it would be something fully automated.

But the real questions are, what will UE5 do for mortal in a short term to make it better. Will those development resources compensate for the lack of current design and content? Is the timing correct?

I've seen Henrique say in a stream that the actual migration from UE4 to 5 won't "drain" their development resources. Now i find that hard to believe since when they are supposed to be fully focused on developing something it comes out in the form it does, placeholder poop. Imagine if they actually have to multitask instead of focusing on one thing.

Idk maybe im missing something here, but Henrique was talking about how good" would water look with UE5, who gives 2 fucks about ue5 if the game is garbage and they can't manage to deliver good mechanics.
Or maybe i don't understand UE5's truly potential and how will SV capitalize it in short term, but as far as i see this is just a bad excuse for not fixing the placeholder garbo content its in the game.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I can see how it would be something more than just pressing a button to migrate UE4 to UE5, it would be naive to think it would be something fully automated.

But the real questions are, what will UE5 do for mortal in a short term to make it better. Will those development resources compensate for the lack of current design and content? Is the timing correct?

I've seen Henrique say in a stream that the actual migration from UE4 to 5 won't "drain" their development resources. Now i find that hard to believe since when they are supposed to be fully focused on developing something it comes out in the form it does, placeholder poop. Imagine if they actually have to multitask instead of focusing on one thing.

Idk maybe im missing something here, but Henrique was talking about how good" would water look with UE5, who gives 2 fucks about ue5 if the game is garbage and they can't manage to deliver good mechanics.
Or maybe i don't understand UE5's truly potential and how will SV capitalize it in short term, but as far as i see this is just a bad excuse for not fixing the placeholder garbo content its in the game.
UE5s biggest thing for MO2 is that you have seamless trasitions between servers. So no more nodeline hitching and you could have one server in part of the world and walk to the other server in another part of the world.

supposedly also a performance boost and better workflow for the devs

Balvrikk

Jun 30, 2020
Yeah it's level steaming because of how the map assets are files and grouped the world is "more efficient" I guess

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
UE5s biggest thing for MO2 is that you have seamless trasitions between servers. So no more nodeline hitching and you could have one server in part of the world and walk to the other server in another part of the world.

hipotetically i guess, sounds like a nice thing.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021

The seamless transitions Henrik is talking about is level streaming and not nodelines.
Fixing nodelines is entirely up to star vault and game engine version dosent matter.

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
It is simple to migrate the majority of the code, logic paths, & systems to UR5, however it is not a simple thing to have all the assets upscaled, nor is it simple to have the unique systems they made in UR4 move to UR5, while it is much simpler than UR3 to UR4 (My god that was a nightmare) The process is a bit more complex.

if you want to have certain textures render light while others do not, some reflective surfaces while others just become whited textures, Finish the Luman compilation for lighting sparsing in dungeons & the world at all times of the day, certain models bleeding shadows, inconsistence pixel counts, the Weather system to be under construction, AI and Server logic pathways to be tweaked in real time, The Node synch to local weather patterns in conjunction to Elementalism spells & to have AI's glitching within the mesh while it's all recompiled for the new engine to clean up terrain collisions... If you can handle all that, than they can make the swap in less than two days.

Then you can have the more tempered approach and understand that some things can be moved over in a snap, while everything else needs to be reworked and finished to make such a move. SV is a company that uses Unreal Engine assets to save time on Developmental costs with minimal modification. most of these assets are not being upscaled to UR5, so they have to do it themselves. While they are waiting on this, they are really polishing and adding as much as they can to the game before porting over so the transition from UR4 to UR5 is as smooth as they can be when we get another influx of players.

TL&DR: The change can happen in a day or two but it would cause more problems. They are using the Migration to buy time and work on some larger content patches & work out bugs in the game to increase QoL and playability. Node Lines have gotten better unless anyone has forgotten. They are working on all the small annoying aspects of the upgrade.

While I want the change to happen right now and to add a subscription to the game ASAP, I want them to take their time on this since UR5 is effectively their second launch of the game.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Funny how AMD FSR 2.0 is literally just like Nividia but even easier to put into the game. Its just like all the other plugins that they are getting off the unreal store. But they keep saying its really hard to put into the game.

The steps are pretty much install and then click a box. Just like fixing the games lighting is just turning off one plugin then raising gama.

Theres a lot of gamers who know about this stuff and it just makes them look very incompetent if they are just making excuses that are not true.

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae