Toxic New Player Experience, or Git Gud?

binkus

Aug 6, 2021
I joined Mortal Online 2, 2 days ago. In that time, I have had 3 horses killed, while being PKed 8 times. I can't even leave a town save the few times i've been able to sneak out to get another horse. How am I suppose to progress in this game when anytime I leave a town there are tin cans waiting for me to shoot me with a bow from outside the guards range and then run me down if I try to do anything productive outside? I understand the concept of PKing in games, but with a game with such a small community, maybe don't camp new players who are trying out the game? even with just 2 days in it seems pretty easy to spot the new players, and that's who is getting targeted from my experience and from what I've read in chat. Why would a game that struggles with it's community growth actively stifle new players? go find another tin can to fight.

Maybe I'm just bad at the game, but the game itself is not very hard. What's hard is being able to progress when you have 12 year old mordhau players outside the city gates yelling 1v1 and then run at you without a response. I feel like I literally can't play the game because of the amount of horse archers in tin cans that just run new players down,. Please help I WANT to enjoy the game, I UNDERSTAND loosing items. It isn't what bothers me, I just want to leave the fucking town.

Edit: Received a lot of advice and will definetly look at MO2 again next update / when persistence starts. looked at a dev stream and see that housing and persistence will prob come out in similar times, this is probably when I will come back as player policing (as well as some NPC Guard buffs!) will probably come into effect more. Looking forward to it and hope to see you all there! Thank You!

Last edited:

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
What time are you playing? It might be griefer hours. Have you tried moving to a different town in the game (you can leave as a ghost so you cannot be killed)?

Personally the toxic players were a huge minority issue for me, and I believe they are a minority in general. Most vets will help you out. I am european and play in between 10pm-midnight CEST (central european summer time). If those time suit you for a meet up I can come see you and hopefully we can do some fun stuff together. You can message me here in the forum. :)

You and your pets getting killed is part of the course, but for me it happens very rarely. If you are a new player there are some other stuff to note.
  1. Toxic players themselves change characters and names often because their reputation gets ruined so new players can get targeted by mistake under the assumption that it is a griefer in disguise
  2. Are you a part of a guild? If you joined a guild as a new player straight away you may not be informet about guild politics. Maybe you joined a guild of ill reputation and people are targeting you for being a part of it. Maybe you joined a well established guild but happen to be in a town controlled by a rival guild.
  3. What guild were they in? There are guilds dedicated to being... well pricks. Guttersnipes for example are dedicated to killing horses.
  4. Your horses may have been killed in a bank. There is an unofficial player rule of not bringing pets into banks as they crowd the place and make it hard to move. Players have even intentionaly blocked entries to banks for a laugh.
All in all, many factors. Holler if you need an in game introduction and tips.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Fabernum is a real problem because the guttersnipes live there and they kill everything inside town they see. SO yeah
THey do this since 8 years. ANd i highly doubt that they will ever stop.

The new player experience was always a problem but i think with persistance many problems get fixed because of the reputation system. If you kill people in the town where you live than you will have sooner or later a problem. I atleast hope that this will fix it.
Than guild have to go to other town to fuck up the people. I mean that would make muhc more sense than now.

binkus

Aug 6, 2021
I have a feeling I've been a victim of Guttersnipes since im in Fabernum. Sad that there are individuals who their main source of enjoyment from the game is to annoy other people, like not even just regular pking, I understand enjoying that, but targeting horses lmao, what asses. I feel like i won't be playing much of this game again until, persistance, you called it? is added since them having no repercussion for camping outside a town is just a bit too broken for me lmao. Game has promise, but needs some polish for new players. :)

binkus

Aug 6, 2021
For example I play Hunt: showdown, played old school runescape, played tarkov. I understand loosing items in games. The issue I think I have now after this discussion is the time required to get some of these things only to have someone ABUSE a missing system (reputation/gold fish brain guards) to make all the time you invested worthless. It's a beta, I understand. It just seems like some of the players don't realize that maybe abusing new players in a beta isn't healthy for a game that they themselves clearly put a lot of time into.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
You should always expect/plan on getting killed in the game. So bank often and do not carry anything you can not afford to lose.

Also being a full loot pvp game, players out to kill others just for loot and luls will surely be here.

Like others have said though, you can probably save yourself a little grief by leaving/avoiding areas when you find they are 'hot'.

It is a very large world with a very small community. So the griefers can not be everywhere.

They will mostly likely target busier places where they are more likely to find an easy target.

Last edited:

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
I have a feeling I've been a victim of Guttersnipes since im in Fabernum. Sad that there are individuals who their main source of enjoyment from the game is to annoy other people, like not even just regular pking, I understand enjoying that, but targeting horses lmao, what asses. I feel like i won't be playing much of this game again until, persistance, you called it? is added since them having no repercussion for camping outside a town is just a bit too broken for me lmao. Game has promise, but needs some polish for new players. :)
Persistence is when the competitive play really starts as there will be no more wipes. The game is quite layed back now as we all know everything will be wiped. Now is a good time to learn the mechanics, test builds and prepare to have you stuff together by then. There is nothing wrong with waiting for persistence to play casualy. I'm a fairly casual player myself. But there will be a lot of hustle and bustle trying to get and maintain resources, which means more PvP too, so be prepared.

DwarfLord

Jun 15, 2021
The best part is this isn't a faceless pvp game, despite the people who are constantly re-roll right now. They will not have the luxury of doing that when the game goes live. If they upset enough people they can be actively forced out of a town through the red priest system. Not allowing them to spawn any where close to the location. If they add the stat loss to each of those deaths like in the old one, it will be super punishing. I also live in Fabernum, if you see me around feel free to ask for help and I am always up to do some training if you wanna learn or show you some of the better routes in the area to take.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
it will be super punishing.
Punishing player that play the game. Great idee , sound like what starvault have been doing the pass 15years, dont worry if you keep suggesting like that over and over its gonna be in the next patch, trust me it work , just look at MK now, Its empty of Saburra and players :) .

Last edited:

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
Punishing player that play the game. Great idee , sound like what starvault have been doing the pass 15years, dont worry if you keep suggesting like that over and over its gonna be in the next patch, trust me it work , just look at MK now, Its empty of Saburra and players :) .
Of course it's a great idea. Making sure new players have places to get used to the game is important for the longevity. If you act like garbage you get treated like one. Honestly the game doesn't need to do much. Other players enjoy killing griefers as well and will try to keep the peace.

Killing is normal in this game but going out of your way to make someones experience miserable should be punished by the game as well. And I am not responding to you by the way. I know you are trolling. I just want the new player to see that toxic behaviour is not welcomed by everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoisonArrows

binkus

Aug 6, 2021
Punishing player that play the game.
You mean punishing players who are abusing the XP boost in the beta to reroll characters to avoid game mechanics shouldn't be "punished" by having the xp go to what the devs intend it to be??????? I feel like you might just be mad at the devs for something unrelated to this and are projecting issues. we're discussing individuals who are evading a game mechanic that imo adds depth to being an "outlaw" type since it has more environmental interactions and world impact on the player. Towns you fuck with wont want you around, making it your hunting ground maybe? since you can peacefully operate out of a neighboring town but actively hunt people in the other towns area, but since you can't go into the town without guards beating you down, it gives folks respite in these towns from people who just want to kill players while naked and then reroll when the game does something they don't want (have guards attack them for their shitty behavior). also it just makes sense that when you commit crimes in a towns area of influence, you lose reputation with them and will be sought after by the guards, making living there difficult. when building is also added then that just adds another layer to being a criminal. Maybe you rely more heavily on camps and player hideouts outside of town's protection BECAUSE you're an outlaw. it just makes sense. why would you be able to murder people incessantly outside of a town and then promptly walk in and bank all your stolen goods. just doesn't make sense gameplay wise or roleplay wise

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
Shhhhhh... @binkus, he is a red player. Killing is the game for him. This is his mindset and he may be one of those who likes to rile people up, call them kids, snowflaes, etc. Don't worry about people like him. They are part of the game, the community and are entitled to their fun. Just because someone makes it their mission to ruin your gameplay experience doesn't mean you have to allow them to manipulate your emotions like this.

Play the game for what you want to be in it. There is plenty more to do than getting worked up like this.

Reactions: Moored and Bicorps

binkus

Aug 6, 2021
There is plenty more to do than getting worked up like this.
I mean my main issue was I CAN'T do other things because of individuals like that lmao. Seems from this thread i just need to git gud. in which case good luck mortal online 2!

Edit: Just wanted to be a crafter since the crafting system in this game is a game in and of itself, but the ILLUSION of pk protection in the game snuffs out that aspect of the game for some individuals

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
I mean my main issue was I CAN'T do other things because of individuals like that lmao. Seems from this thread i just need to git gud. in which case good luck mortal online 2!
No need to git gud. I suck at PvP. Always died. But uncovering the misteries of the alchemy system and riding out with my guild members is super fun for me. If you want PvP there are plenty of more places and guilds that can suit you. Fabernum is the place most of the gankers retracted to. Most bigger and proper guilds don't tolerate this behaviour. You may still get killed once every few days but that's about it.

That being said, there will always be muderers in the game who play for this. It is part of the game. And when thievery comes in they will steal your stuff as well. If it seems too much for you, that's ok. This is not for everyone.

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
For example I play Hunt: showdown, played old school runescape, played tarkov. I understand loosing items in games. The issue I think I have now after this discussion is the time required to get some of these things only to have someone ABUSE a missing system (reputation/gold fish brain guards) to make all the time you invested worthless. It's a beta, I understand. It just seems like some of the players don't realize that maybe abusing new players in a beta isn't healthy for a game that they themselves clearly put a lot of time into.

I agree with you. But trying to argue with the community about this issue is rather hopeless.
Hope you get a better experience if you choose to stay in game.

binkus

Aug 6, 2021
You may still get killed once every few days but that's about it.
8 times in 2 days for me, Fabernum is a cesspit. what cities are safe in your opinion? might need to haul everything over somewhere else

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
PK protection will also come from other players. Crafters will be protected by the local lords, because they make the lords cash money and keep the town alive. Once players control the local guards people who kill will just be put on kill-on-sight lists for the NPC guards.

I personally suggest going to Bakti. It's crafter central and the locals intend to keep it that way.

DwarfLord

Jun 15, 2021
8 times in 2 days for me, Fabernum is a cesspit. what cities are safe in your opinion? might need to haul everything over somewhere else
If things become heated that is a great idea, I'd suggest leaving it all in the bank and starting a new bank in the town you choose. Tindrem is close and safer likely to the west of Fab. Build a small bank, some gear leave find new town, repeat. Every new player should do this to learn the land and for the experience !!

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
Edit: Just wanted to be a crafter since the crafting system in this game is a game in and of itself, but the ILLUSION of pk protection in the game snuffs out that aspect of the game for some individuals

The game never pretended to give you protection from PKing. In fact it markets itself by saying PKing is always present.

The thing to do is surround yourself with like minded players and be protected by numbers and skill. Look, there are 7 of us here giving you tips and some of us offering to play with you. But you chose to focus on the one guy who likes to play murderer.

Tindrem It is the capital with a lot of guards. It has the best extraction stuff for crafting as well, but not a lot of materials. You would have to travel to get calx and saburra. If you would rather have resources nearby you can go to Meduli. There is both saburra and granum in Meduli, but it is a popular area so all sorts of players are also there.

Bakti as @Nisse mentioned I heard is also good but haven't been there myself.

Personally I live mainly in Tindrem and visit Meduli often for the seadew gathering / purchase. You can also browse the local broker to see if anyone is selling materials you don't have access to in your area.