Town Reputation (Possible counter to griefing in Towns)

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
During testing theres limited griefing since griefers are quickly kicked and if persistent banned.
Its not illegal to kill mounts in a game man, how much Somniferum did you take ?
Just because you have not tested this game for long dont mean things happening before you started never happened. Used to be general knowledge around here that griefers and troubble makers got banned after a few kicks when disrupting testing basically the only form of grief that exists in a game during testing.
Also being a miscreant also isnt a banable offense afaik, so seems to be you with no idea about things...

P.S. see how contradictory you are? You literally stated something that was incorrect, I called you out on it, then you pretended I was the one who stated it and said I was in the wrong.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
P.S. see how contradictory you are? You literally stated something that was incorrect, I called you out on it, then you pretended I was the one who stated it and said I was in the wrong.
Please direct me to your strawman attempt of contradiction accusations ?
I say killing horses and being a miscreant is not banable offenses, killing horses for one is a game feature.
I say griefers was known to get banned after a couple kicks if their griefing did not stop after the kick warnings. Which they did when disrupting testing. There was even a server message stating this as a warning.
Killing horses and being a miscreant is not griefing.
You seriously need to educate yourself before starting to type. This is getting both old and tiresome.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Please direct me to your strawman attempt of contradiction accusations ?
I say killing horses and being a miscreant is not banable offenses, killing horses for one is a game feature.
I say griefers was known to get banned after a couple kicks if their griefing did not stop after the kick warnings. Which they did when disrupting testing. There was even a server message stating this as a warning.
Killing horses and being a miscreant is not griefing.
You seriously need to educate yourself before starting to type. This is getting both old and tiresome.
When I say miscreant I don't mean the noun I mean the proper noun. If you played the game you would know there is a griefer guild called miscreants. And in this thread, the context of griefing includes mount killing in town. The griefing you are referring to with the server messages is probably from events such as the horse race which happened far away outside of town. This thread is about curbing griefing WITHIN towns.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
P.S. you still haven't addressed why you accused me of saying killing mounts/"being a miscreant" is bannable when I explicitly said the opposite.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Are you trolling me? YOU'RE the one claiming griefers were getting banned. I'm the one saying people aren't being banned for griefing.

MO2 =/= MO1. Combat is different. If you think they are the same with just better graphics, you haven't played either enough.

As for lictors, stop trying to refer to MO1. I'm saying how lictors work NOW in MO2. They teleport to you, hit you hard, and send you to the shadowrealm. I don't care if griefers used to abuse lictors in MO1, I'm talking about MO2 right now. Stop trying to impede the development of the game based on incorrect, outdated notions from MO1, a game with different mechanics.

If you were experienced you'd know there would be no griefers in GK, Kranesh, Cave Camp, god forbid Jungle Camp, because there's not much to grief. The closest to griefing in these areas was killing Tephra miners. Otherwise, it's not like you can find 15 mounts AFKing outside of one of the GK banks. There's no substance for griefers to go after in those towns, neither do griefers want to travel that far to do what they could in more populated areas.

Now let's say we don't increase lictor reaction time, because players can do a better job of guarding towns. Fine. How will you go about that right now without TC? Are you going to log 100 people into Bakti, kill off all the guards/spawn camp the guards then guard the town? Are you going to look the guards in the eye and say "in MO1, we could turn you off so go away right now?"

No. You'll want to wait for TC to be released then turn off the guards.

So what can you do in the meantime? Make the guards better. It takes significantly less effort to improve lictor reaction times than it would to implement an entire TC system.

And I'm not going to listen to you "wise men" over the CEO of the game. He knows what he's doing and has more experience in the game than any of us. So far, his addition of better lictor AI/teleportation has significantly curbed griefing than prior to it. You can't tell me in the current state of MO2 (not MO1) having worse guards and no TC is better than having better guards and no TC.
Wow just wow, and you seriously claimed to know more about this game then me ?
I dont even know where to start....
no griefers in GK, nothing to grief there!?!?!? CC, Kran ??? No griefers....Did you seriously start playing in 2020 ? Do you really only have a month play time ?

But why do you want guards buffed so much ? Just to feel safer in the already crazy safe zones that is towns ?
Thanks for again proving your fanboyism, now I can stop arguing with you. Still have faith Henrik knows best is proof of how naive and new you are here.

Good luck and I hope your hope remains for years not months :ROFLMAO: oh man, Henrik knows best, has the most experience, lEaRn FrOm MiStAkEs !!!!:ROFLMAO::cry::mad:

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
But why do you want guards buffed so much ? Just to feel safer in the already crazy safe zones that is towns ?
You do realize the OP made this thread because towns AREN'T "crazy safe" due to griefers? I have a feeling you've spent too much time in low population towns like GK that you haven't seen what's been going on in everywhere else.

You also need to take a break from forums. Your judgement and composure is being negatively affected by a simple disagreement. The whole point of a forum is to exchange ideas, not start insulting people for not agreeing with you.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Wow just wow, and you seriously claimed to know more about this game then me ?
I dont even know where to start....
no griefers in GK, nothing to grief there!?!?!? CC, Kran ??? No griefers....Did you seriously start playing in 2020 ? Do you really only have a month play time ?

Thanks for again proving your fanboyism, now I can stop arguing with you. Still have faith Henrik knows best is proof of how naive and new you are here.

Good luck and I hope your hope remains for years not months :ROFLMAO: oh man, Henrik knows best, has the most experience, lEaRn FrOm MiStAkEs !!!!:ROFLMAO::cry::mad:
The dudes not hear in any good faith. Any person reading this could see that you shouldnt consider what he is saying. Im sure devs will just ignore his feedback so you dont need to even bother countering him.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
The dudes not hear in any good faith. Any person reading this could see that you shouldnt consider what he is saying. Im sure devs will just ignore his feedback so you dont need to even bother countering him.
You're defending someone who has claimed towns right now are "crazy safe" and the solution to griefing is to wait until TC is released. Let that sink in. He is essentially suggesting that your thread is pointless indirectly.

My feedback is just reaffirming what SV has already done, but improve upon it slightly. Who do you think has the most credible argument here?

• Haha
Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
When I say miscreant I don't mean the noun I mean the proper noun. If you played the game you would know there is a griefer guild called miscreants. And in this thread, the context of griefing includes mount killing in town. The griefing you are referring to with the server messages is probably from events such as the horse race which happened far away outside of town. This thread is about curbing griefing WITHIN towns.

First off theres no game, theres a test of a early access to come game. I already tested over 700h.

Yes gamers today might call horse killing griefing but hey people are soft, wont make it griefing just because snowflakes claim so.
Crashing events is not griefing and to my knowledge you wont get banned for crashing and slaughtering everyone present as me and my guild used to do that every chance we got for PvP. People learned to expect it and hire players to guard expecting us. A perfect example of a good sandbox without NPC OP guards.
Spawn camping is griefing, tricking noobs to go gray in order to loot them, plant stolen items on noobs to have them murdered by guards is griefing. (flagging no longer an issue luckily)
Playing the game and taking advantage of players not thinking is not griefing even if the target feels grieved by it.
But if you park your mount or pet in public while going afk thats asking for players to kill it. Imagine if another player feels grieved by your mount parked in the middle of Fabernum, are you then a griefer by your standards ?
Education is good yes, copy/pasting is not. You shouldnt pick up too much from SV, just a friendly tip ;)
P.S. you still haven't addressed why you accused me of saying killing mounts/"being a miscreant" is bannable when I explicitly said the opposite.
Well go back to your post you say why are not there guys banned then, well because they didnt break any rules to get banned.
For example killing me or you is fine, killing horses in town is just good for business but spawn killing Henrik or disrupting planned tests, etc.

How to limit or rid towns of griefers ?
Well first off you get rid off mindless abusable guards.
Then you create incentives for players to actually guard towns they live in so that they do it by themselves. Maybe have a high rep treshhold that appoints you to the rank of city guard. Break the law and you get thrown out after 3 strikes.
That way players will do what guards are found wanting.

As you say yourself guards need to be more powerful then OP and defy every law and limit the game puts on players, now we have powerhouse NPCs able to crush player raids on towns which was a HUGE problem in MO. Trust me players having brains will always figure out how to farm or disable or bug out NPCs so guards will always have to get buffed and buffed and buffed until we end at where every player run around with 10 personal Lictor pokemons to fight for them since nothing in the game can beat them and players always use the best possible weapon they can.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Well from my experiences with SV for over 10 years. Since I am strongly against him, they will strongly back him and his views...
But yea I got that from his posts eventually, now im just entertaining myself really :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Tzone

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
You're defending someone who has claimed towns right now are "crazy safe" and the solution to griefing is to wait until TC is released. Let that sink in. He is essentially suggesting that your thread is pointless indirectly.

My feedback is just reaffirming what SV has already done, but improve upon it slightly. Who do you think has the most credible argument here?
If only you got dropped into Sausage Lake with me back in June 09. Man we would have some fun, by that I mean I would have fun and you would never return to any MO game be it MO, MO2 or MO3.

Towns in MO2 not safe...softness is indeed cuddly :ROFLMAO: The night is dark and full of terror my good man! Try to enjoy your stay in MO2 :ROFLMAO: I give you 2 months, im hopeful!

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Seperate parallel system that assigns reputation to players in association to individual towns.

This rep system will have no way to undo negative reputation besides timer. You build possitive rep by doing busiess with that towns vendors or possibly just by being in that town. The max amount of rep you could have per town would usually be lower then empire rep and slowly accumilates.
It should not be affected by actions outside of town like grinders for fabernum. Just with in the gates. This will still allow fighting outside town which is most of the current content.

This can be the system that counters Player v Horse inside of towns by still doesnt punish having to take two rep losses if you PvP a mounted or tamer outside of town. You can still have empire rep loss for pet kills in town as long as its only in town. If a "griefer" rerolls they will start out with low reputation in that town and wont be able to "grief" that town right out of haven with out going negative.

The main difference and reason to have this system along with Empire rep is that it doesnt allow the player to quickly undo their crimes by farming rep if you go negative. But isnt over encompassing to entirely punish a player for these actions empire wide, and doesnt prevent PvP outside of towns. It would also foster home town mentality. In the future it can be used to gain slight bonus's in trade from vendors or you would require a certain amount of that towns rep to lease a house.

First off theres no game, theres a test of a early access to come game. I already tested over 700h.

Yes gamers today might call horse killing griefing but hey people are soft, wont make it griefing just because snowflakes claim so.
Crashing events is not griefing and to my knowledge you wont get banned for crashing and slaughtering everyone present as me and my guild used to do that every chance we got for PvP. People learned to expect it and hire players to guard expecting us. A perfect example of a good sandbox without NPC OP guards.
Spawn camping is griefing, tricking noobs to go gray in order to loot them, plant stolen items on noobs to have them murdered by guards is griefing. (flagging no longer an issue luckily)
Playing the game and taking advantage of players not thinking is not griefing even if the target feels grieved by it.
But if you park your mount or pet in public while going afk thats asking for players to kill it. Imagine if another player feels grieved by your mount parked in the middle of Fabernum, are you then a griefer by your standards ?
Education is good yes, copy/pasting is not. You shouldnt pick up too much from SV, just a friendly tip ;)

Well go back to your post you say why are not there guys banned then, well because they didnt break any rules to get banned.
For example killing me or you is fine, killing horses in town is just good for business but spawn killing Henrik or disrupting planned tests, etc.

How to limit or rid towns of griefers ?
Well first off you get rid off mindless abusable guards.
Then you create incentives for players to actually guard towns they live in so that they do it by themselves. Maybe have a high rep treshhold that appoints you to the rank of city guard. Break the law and you get thrown out after 3 strikes.
That way players will do what guards are found wanting.

As you say yourself guards need to be more powerful then OP and defy every law and limit the game puts on players, now we have powerhouse NPCs able to crush player raids on towns which was a HUGE problem in MO. Trust me players having brains will always figure out how to farm or disable or bug out NPCs so guards will always have to get buffed and buffed and buffed until we end at where every player run around with 10 personal Lictor pokemons to fight for them since nothing in the game can beat them and players always use the best possible weapon they can.
Stop and reread the original post. Part of what he wants is to address griefing in the context of horse killing. You are attempting to hijack the thread in redefining griefing to not include what the original poster intended. Next, reread all of my posts. After you have done so I want you to summarize everything so far because i feel like half of everything you are reading is being distorted in some way.

I have never said people get banned from horse killing/griefing etc. You did. I disagreed. Then you reverse uno carded me and claimed I did.

Next, the fact that you think mount deaths result from people going afk proves you don't live in said towns. People riding their horses can get sniped by griefers on rooftops and sometimes rushed on foot. The OP created this thread to address this, not sweep it under the rug. Again, reread his post.

Your solution of getting rid of griefers by removing all guards in game right now is... ridiculous. There aren't enough people and well organized guilds to establish a garrison in every town and maintain a 24/7 watch like NPCs can. Unless you mean occupation via TC, there is no way SV would implement such an outrageous idea. At best, Koto would control Meduli, Legion would get Vadda, and multiple griefer guilds would rock, paper, scissors for Fabernum in the current state of the game. Without guards right now, all the griefers would instead of naked maging horses, would start naked maging player guards which would make griefing worse. Remember in the earlier stages of the test where 20 people would raid Fabernum because there were no lictors and guards were super weak? That's what it would be like except with non stop griefers everywhere. Imagine a noob leaving Haven is greeted by three nakeds wailing on him with bone tissue mauls. Until actual TC is implemented where guilds strong enough to capture towns would theoretically be strong enough to protect towns, turning guards off right now would not work.

Now, I never said guards needed to be "more powerful," I stated the reaction times for lictors need to be improved. I'm not advocating for each guard in town to do 1000 damage through oghmium, I'm saying the moment someone goes criminal a lictor should be there near instantly instead of the ~1-10 second delay we have now.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Well from my experiences with SV for over 10 years. Since I am strongly against him, they will strongly back him and his views...
But yea I got that from his posts eventually, now im just entertaining myself really :ROFLMAO:
Why are you playing a game made by a company you hate so much? I bet you are a griefer trying to impede any fruitful discussion in this thread to better suit your playstyle.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
If only you got dropped into Sausage Lake with me back in June 09. Man we would have some fun, by that I mean I would have fun and you would never return to any MO game be it MO, MO2 or MO3.

Towns in MO2 not safe...softness is indeed cuddly :ROFLMAO: The night is dark and full of terror my good man! Try to enjoy your stay in MO2 :ROFLMAO: I give you 2 months, im hopeful!
Too bad it's not 2009. It's 2021. Times have changed and you can't keep wearing MO1 tinted glasses.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Why are you playing a game made by a company you hate so much? I bet you are a griefer trying to impede any fruitful discussion in this thread to better suit your playstyle.
Dont confuse my love for hate, me and Henrik has history so I wouldnt expect you to understand.
If you love something will you critisize it harshly or blindly agree with everything they say knowing certain directions spell doom for the game ?
Too bad it's not 2009. It's 2021. Times have changed and you can't keep wearing MO1 tinted glasses.
If it truly was tinted glasses, how come so many share so many of my views even many of the devs ?

Also to end this discussion heres what I said:
During testing theres limited griefing since griefers are quickly kicked and if persistent banned. Happened ever since Combat Alpha started.
During testing devs will kick griefers who grief testing. Only testing you can grieve is official dev arranged test sessions. Killings mounts in test phase is testing, even griefing players is testing.

What this thread is about is to limit griefing, my original point is that guards is the worst anti griefing tool to have since they are mindless and abusable, proven for 10 years in MO.
Backing this is player run towns with guards off being more safe then the most guarded city in the game which surprise surprise was a griefers paradise, further I said even lawless towns owned by strong guilds was proven safer then guarded towns.
Imo incentives for good rule by players and ways for players to "become" guards if done right is a better anti grief tool then most I seen around.
Safe zones imo should be limited but we do certainly need some. But OP guards is def not the way to go.

Biaxil

Aug 28, 2021
Just get rid of combat in towns if this is such a griefing issue then. If guards are broken and cannot be counted on, then just be done with it. But thinking that players have nothing better to do but stand around on guard in an npc town is ridiculous, especially with such a huge map and relatively small player population. Sounds like they should just get rid of town pking if it is that big of an issue. I didn't see anything in this thread that sounded like a solution given the circumstances.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Just get rid of combat in towns if this is such a griefing issue then. If guards are broken and cannot be counted on, then just be done with it. But thinking that players have nothing better to do but stand around on guard in an npc town is ridiculous, especially with such a huge map and relatively small player population. Sounds like they should just get rid of town pking if it is that big of an issue. I didn't see anything in this thread that sounded like a solution given the circumstances.
Back in the old MO before the game turned sour. The towns where the hubs where people met, hang and simply where in between runs in the wild. Back when guards never left the towns they where meant to protect. It was players who grouped up at the city limits trying to drive off any PKs coming by to raid.

The fact that the populace of MO and MO2 think they need to have guards guarding safe zones simply shows how much SV turned away from what MO was meant to be.
Gamers have truly gotten soft the last 15 years...sad state of affairs...

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I dont really think its a problem. The only issue is that you cant defend yourself from the mages instant burst damage. The greifers guilds with numbers usually are crusading against certain guilds that they preceive to be bad guys in the game. Its pretty much dont help these guilds that are targeted by greifer crusades, dont be a mean person and you usually will never have greifer issues.

Back when gk had three to four guilds active it was safe for the inhabitants and for people who made deals to do trade there.

Kran was pretty safe with just two active guilds. You might get killed once but people usually left you alone if you came to duel or just didnt bother people.

Kuthara

Jan 4, 2021
Back in the old MO before the game turned sour. The towns where the hubs where people met, hang and simply where in between runs in the wild. Back when guards never left the towns they where meant to protect. It was players who grouped up at the city limits trying to drive off any PKs coming by to raid.

The fact that the populace of MO and MO2 think they need to have guards guarding safe zones simply shows how much SV turned away from what MO was meant to be.
Gamers have truly gotten soft the last 15 years...sad state of affairs...

You mean when you crossed an invisible line as a red player and was instantly exploded?

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
You mean when you crossed an invisible line as a red player and was instantly exploded?
Yea decades ahead of bad AI who cant control his pants. Better a system with a leash on rampant overpowered NPCs then the latter. Who wants to have to flee to Bakti on a mount to get away from Fabernum and Tindrem Guards, Elite Guards and Lictors before they stop chasing you ?

And this is coming from a red player who played for years with both systems, and I used to be the guy who always dove into the GZ to get kills with old Guards.
Always better with clear rules with no funny business then a random ass system that is bugged and abused beyond being playable.