Top things to learn before the wipe?

terriblegamerjoe

Mar 27, 2021
If you were going to suggest things for a new player to focus on/learn in the 8 days we have before the wipe, what would those things be?

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
  1. Try out different builds to see what you like (though this was easier when it was 100X)
  2. Explore/learn where things are (skillbooks, materials, PvE) while dying doesn't matter.
  3. Practice PvP in real life situations, where loss doesn't matter.

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
Learn how the reputation system and flagging works. You will lose your character to it on persistence otherwise.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Yeah I STILL don't really understand it.

Correct me if I'm wrong ya'll.
  1. If you attack someone who is not criminal (or their pet), or take from a non-criminal's loot bag, you receive a criminal flag for a short period of time (1 min? You can tell I'm not criminal often) and lose reputation in the region you are in. While you are marked criminal, everyone sees your name as grey.
  2. If you die while criminal, you cannot resurrect at a priest until the criminal flag expires.
  3. If your reputation is low enough in a region OR if you are actively criminal, if a guard sees you, they will attack you.
  4. You can gain/regain reputation by completing tasks for that region.
  5. If you successfully kill someone while criminal, once they resurrect, they have the option to report you for murder, which gives you a "murder count".
  6. If your murder count is over a certain level, you cannot resurrect at priests in NPC-ruled cities.
  7. Murder count reduces over time.
  8. If you attack a guild member, you do not go criminal.
  9. If you have "illegal actions" turned off in the settings, you cannot commit an action that would make you go criminal.
  10. You "should" be able to attack other players that your are members of guilds you have declared war on, and not go criminal.
Tell me if I'm wrong in any of this and/or add anything. I don't often go criminal and they've changed the system multiple times. It definitely deserves a writeup.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

terriblegamerjoe

Mar 27, 2021
  1. If you attack someone who is not criminal (or their pet), or take from a non-criminal's loot bag, you receive a criminal flag for a short period of time (1 min? You can tell I'm not criminal often) and lose reputation in the region you are in. While you are marked criminal, everyone sees your name as grey.
  2. If you die while criminal, you cannot resurrect at a priest until the criminal flag expires.
  3. If your reputation is low enough in a region OR if you are actively criminal, if a guard sees you, they will attack you.
  5. If you successfully kill someone while criminal, once they resurrect, they have the option to report you for murder, which gives you a "murder count".
  6. If your murder count is over a certain level, you cannot resurrect at priests in NPC-ruled cities.
  9. If you have "illegal actions" turned off in the settings, you cannot commit an action that would make you go criminal.
  10. You "should" be able to attack other players that your are members of guilds you have declared war on, and not go criminal.
Tell me if I'm wrong in any of this and/or add anything. I don't often go criminal and they've changed the system multiple times. It definitely deserves a writeup.

So, to summarize, and some additions.

Gray = criminal (means you attacked someone who wasn't also gray.)
Blue = not criminal?
Red = I don't know what red means. in UO it means dead lol.
Green = same guild?

So basically, if I am not gray and I attack someone who is not gray, then I become gray for a limited time. If I succeed in killing them they can (and probably will) report me for murder.

So, lets say me and a buddy who aren't guildies wanted to duel without fear of being attacked because we're "Gray" how would we go about that? Because we tried this the other night, and everyone kept trying to kill us.

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
1. Or take red (stolen) items from a criminal's loot bag I think. You do not lose reputation for going gray, unless a guard sees you in the gray state.
2. You can resurrect while criminal (gray), but the guards nearby will attack you and you will lose reputation. So don't resurrect while gray.
5. I think you can only report people for murder if you didn't attack them first. If you see a gray player who didn't hit you, attack him and he kills you, you can't report him for murder, but I am not entirely sure about that. If your murder count is 5 or more, you can't report when murdered (mostly the same as point 6 though).
6. Worth noting that towns have another priest nearby, outside of it. The "red priest" can resurrect anyone.
9. "Criminal actions"

Also some notes. Murdering horses only puts you into criminal state, no extra penalty. Criminal state lasts only for about 2 minutes and you can lose it mid combat if you are not attacking anyone (running around and probably parrying is fine). So if you are chasing a criminal, pay attention to their flag, it can change and you will become criminal instead. If your reputation is 0 or less you will not be able to regain it doing quests in the cities of that faction. Some red city and lawless camps may allow you to do that now, didn't check the updated parcels. "Faction" is something like all tindremic cities, or all khurite. Or that one kallardian city that no one lives in.

You only get murdercounts if someone dies. No death - no murdercounts. BUT top three damage dealers can also be reported for murder, and the victim can go and intentionally die from an NPC to report you for hitting them. Not sure what happens if you hit a criminal, they get away, go blue and go die from an NPC.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
So, to summarize, and some additions.

Gray = criminal (means you attacked someone who wasn't also gray.)
Blue = not criminal?
Red = I don't know what red means. in UO it means dead lol.
Green = same guild?

So basically, if I am not gray and I attack someone who is not gray, then I become gray for a limited time. If I succeed in killing them they can (and probably will) report me for murder.

So, lets say me and a buddy who aren't guildies wanted to duel without fear of being attacked because we're "Gray" how would we go about that? Because we tried this the other night, and everyone kept trying to kill us.
Red is not in the game, but people usually refer to players with 5 or more murdercounts as red since you can murder them without getting murdercounts for it (but you still go criminal if you attack them probably, since they are technically blue, didn't check it).

To duel without going gray, you need to be in the same guild.

Piet

May 28, 2020
Red is not in the game, but people usually refer to players with 5 or more murdercounts as red since you can murder them without getting murdercounts for it (but you still go criminal if you attack them probably, since they are technically blue, didn't check it).

To duel without going gray, you need to be in the same guild.
Red is in and means wardec target. The murderers are allowed in town atm, Only rep dictates if they can or can't enter town. If guards aggro from crim action timer or low rep you lose a rep and if someone murder counts you then you lose a rep. crim timer happens from grabbing blue loot, or holding a stolen item with red border, or attacking something blue. below 0 rep you get kos by guards so don't do it or you have to do lawless rep gains which is rough or you have to live outside of a house instead.

terriblegamerjoe

Mar 27, 2021
Red is in and means wardec target. The murderers are allowed in town atm, Only rep dictates if they can or can't enter town. If guards aggro from crim action timer or low rep you lose a rep and if someone murder counts you then you lose a rep. crim timer happens from grabbing blue loot, or holding a stolen item with red border, or attacking something blue. below 0 rep you get kos by guards so don't do it or you have to do lawless rep gains which is rough or you have to live outside of a house instead.

so that is what the red names currently mean?

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
There is currently no way to duel anyone who is not in your guild or a guild yours is wardecced with without one of you becoming grey.