Too much reading.

TVictorA

Apr 15, 2024
I've had nothing but a negative new player experience so far, so here are the facts.
I've played before, when the game first came out. I did some exploring and found the world was fairly empty. Baring in mind I was on Haven, so I decided to give the game another honest go since it has so many of the features I like. Open world PvP, survival mechanics, Custom alchemy and Cooking. Crying children, etc etc.

I did not make it very far before I realised exactly why I stopped. I just wanted a two handed weapon. I just wanted a very basic two handed weapon so I could start
hitting stuff. I just wanted a super basic, of any type, variation, size or quality, a weapon which can be held with two hands and used to hit zombies.

BOOM enjoy your 60 hours of doing sweet FA to get it. Welcome to the real game, the quiet reading club.
The game is laggy. The game should not be laggy on minimum settings in 2024, I have sufficient resources to run the game, probably four times over. But as I have recently learned, this is apparently a full release game, and it runs at on average around 30FPS. This could be an AMD issue, but it's the only game to date which is doing this so beats me.

On average I find the bandits spend about 95% of their time running around immortal and about 5% in the position they were trying to reach.

Exactly 0% of this game is finished, and your entire player base spends the entire day crying over who killed who in a PvP game? Like they're shocked they were somehow able to shed their mortal coil and die?
I hope, somehow this helps you make the game better. Though as the game is currently 2 years old... eh I wont bother finishing this one.
Excuse my pessimism I just finished spending 2 days on a project I abandoned due to sunk cost and it's 2am and I have work in 5 hours.

Disclaimer: All statements listed above are facts and do not contain any opinions what so ever, cool the red hot fiery feeling in your heart I am not attacking your favourite game I am stating the facts of my experience.

Reactions: Gnidex

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Not sure what you mean by “60 hours of sweet FA”….. you can use any 2h weapon right away. You just wont do full damage until the corresponding skill is up to 100.

Spears are 2 handed weapons you can purchase right away right outside the graveyard. Other 2 handed weapons have to be crafted, but you can just unlock the crafting skills and make some very quickly.

If you are talking about the crafting skills/lores then it works the same. You can craft right away after reading the book, you just wont make the best weapons until your skill is maxed.

Reading books is mostly for unlocking skills and training while you are offline. You dont have to wait till the book is finished to use that skill.

As far as the 30 fps…you are right that the game isnt very optimized. However, you should be able to get a solid 60 frames in most areas of the game unless it gets really crowded with players. That is on most middle of the line gaming computers anyways. Not sure what you are running.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
The time between inception and making a 2h wep, whether sword or axe, is indeed unacceptable, if that is what you are talking about. SO MUCH BONE TISSUE or books that you have to read for hundreds of hours. Makes no sense. Esp because 70 is max level. They need to fix that. There are so many skills you have to level up, and you have to do it in a certain way, pop some, spam... 2h swords are probably worse, but I'm not sure. Considering 2h is the meta for this game, it's trash.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
You need very little skills or equipment to do the easier stuff that a new player should probably be focusing on.

I think the market is where it is at for getting things you can not produce yourself. Early on and later in game as well.

Sure reading takes time but many things go up with actions as well.

One trick is just getting certain skills open so they can go up on their own.

For example you start reading the book of a parent skill.

Then stop that reading and start reading a book of a child skill to the parent one.

The child skill will go up from reading and the parent will go up do to the child going up.

Then while that is reading you can just play the game and get more gains.

You can choose to do something in the skill that you are reading about to get even faster gains.

Or you can forget about what is being read and just play the game other ways and get different gains as you do.

Sure one can try to brute force it but the game is not going to make it easy on you to do so.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
i mean just adding 1 of each weapon to the NPC weapon vendor would fix this dudes issue that he made huge by himself.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
i mean just adding 1 of each weapon to the NPC weapon vendor would fix this dudes issue that he made huge by himself.
You can't fault a newbie at that, this is the game dropping the ball right here.