Tindrem + Haven

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
Haven should be left as it is. A completely disastrous and forgettable pit stop as both players and devs move on to more important things.

Tindrem remains a cesspool of disease and corruption. The empty-minded heathen wondering the streets are indiscernible from the corpses raised in the graveyard. The only important decision is if it would be better to have a flood wash away the filth, or a fire turn the wretched to ash.

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
Mortal Online 2: Regression

@Rhias - I didn't even make it to one hour. This thing is one step forward two steps back in every aspect. The game we always wanted to make but lacked the technology is this.
1616655421087.png

Having little competition isn't an excuse to make shovelware. Your restated vision is at best identical to what Mortal Online 1 became (terrible), at worst is even less clear and inspired. This game is the victim of low expectations from developers and players alike.

Not many of us get a do-over like MO2, and I am sure even fewer of us would make the same mistakes we made in our youth a second time. SV is not one of these people. None of the systems in place have been revised in any meaningful way aside from AI, which is probably just built into UE4 anyway.

Having Haven on the cards for months and then offering Fabernum and Fabernum Tower. Where were the development resources spent? This barely constitutes any thought. MO1 haven town is superior to Fab anyway in terms of design.

Annoying things:
  • The Domesticated pigs look like a first year art project, as do their animations.
  • The early game has not been recalibrated around the hunting system at all
  • Graveyards should not be an early game thing and are more an admission of not knowing how to start players into the early game. How generic.
  • Armor and Weapon quality is also student art project level where the artists still thinkevery inch of an asset has to be covered in bling and junk rather than focus on function and theme. Less is more but it also takes more thought and is more difficult to pull off.
  • Movement is indeed slow as molasses, highlighted by my inability to catch a slow fat half dead pig
  • These tutors are just as bad if not worse than MO1 at the moment. How do you even make those worse?
  • Give people guidance and let them discover the skills and actions based on that guidance - don't just dump a bunch of skills on them.
  • Having tutors hand you a bunch of skills to get started is an admission of a flawed skill system
  • Butchery still has no depth whatsoever when animal material extraction should be using the same complex system as minerals
  • Bring AI in line with characters RE: abilities and attributes (Although having things half dead sprinting at full speed is also ridiculous)
  • Adjust loot systems to be suitable for your environment - I would not lose a pigs corpse after killing in in reality but not being able to find one or guess where the game might have spawned it is stupid
  • Compass should be a losable item just like the map
  • NPCs all look horrible - badly clothed and all roid munchers
  • Zero economic changes have been introduced to MO2 so far meaning the same problems will manifest
  • Zero town planning (Tindrem might have had more thought put into it, or just a better marketplace layout on purchase)
  • Would prefer the OG armor sets over the ones we have in game right now - this armoris more bad than good and still no effort put into showing secondary material at a minimum -extra junk that doesnt match your materials is so jarring like the kallardian padded helmet being made of metal
  • Blainn fur is still terrible - please just abandon this system or texture their skin better to hide the transition from fur to skin

Good things:
  • The haven map is cool
  • Environment effects, lighting etc still improving

Assets aside I expected far more with game systems than carbon copies and in some cases reductions. I won't be able to contribute to the stress test because logging into the game in its current stat is bad for my health.

Reactions: Rhias and Xunila

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Jesus, you people are so jaded. When I’m in game, all I see are new people running around starry eyed and saying, “Where has this game been my whole life?”

You all forget, when MO1 came out, the template for population games were WoW and things like Diablo which hold you by the hand.

Nowadays the top games are Rust, Day-Z, Valheim and Loop Hero, games that are about loss, dropping loot when you die, little direction, figuring out things by yourself.

From all signs I’ve seen (and my personal experience being glued to my screen the past couple days) people are loving it. It may not meet your dream of what the evaluation of MO1 should be, but it appears to be plenty fine as is for the people who’re trying it out and there’s plenty more to come.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Honestly the only thing M02 does better then the old game is the graphics.

It´s slighly less sluggish as well - as you expect from a game 2021. But all the mechanics are actually worse. Depth has been removed and been replaced with c/p mechanics from other games.

This a sequel were programmers and uninspired QA are running the show and not visionaries and designers. It shows in every decision they make.

It´s sad since Mortal had unique combination of features, setting and artist drive but was hampered by incompetence on the technical level. Now the technical side is better (better, not good mind you), but the original design is being sacrificed bit by bit with every patch.

Reactions: Rhias

Dimandius

Mar 21, 2021
Bulgaria, EU
Well, let's not be too harsh on SV and see how they will play it out. The last couple of patches actually touched on some of the main issues discussed in the thread above. Even my own post described lacking tutors and explanations, as well as skyrocketing bugs - should be all fixed now. They did indeed move fast. If they pay close attention to the feedback and delay their persistent release a bit, that could be sufficient to iron about 90% of serious current issues and make a strong launch!

In terms of depth and advanced content - sure, it may take years to fill that giant parallelogram of a continent with it. But most people would be plenty happy with the features already in place, as long as they will work correctly, and as long as enough people are in-game to create commotion and drama. Call me cautiously optimistic for now.