The Return Of Red Names Confirmed

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
I hope they don’t over complicate flagging this much. It should be simple leaving the execution of consequences to the players not game systems.

No red priest, no town banning, no actual consequences mechanically.

You are Red flagged, it means your a killer and can be killed by other players anywhere any time without causing consequences to other players. You are free game, that’s it. Enforcing penalties for being red is up to the other players.
I agree with this. 1. You get a red name if you are a murderer (acquire enough murder counts), 2. Once you have that red name others can freely kill you with no penalty. If a red wants to come into a blue town then so be it, just be prepared for blue players to attack you, the guards won't need to. But that's why there are lawless red towns anyway right, they are for the red players...

Last edited:

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
You don’t really know much about the state of things do you?

Mortal Online 2 will be lucky if it can replicate the success of its predecessor. That community your craping on is the only hope MO2 has, at the current level, I doubt there are enough players to sustain the game. MO2 needs to grow a lot and you and your my way or the highway kine are simply to small of a community to be relevant, no offense. It’s just the facts. The sort of game your asking for is simply not marketable and Henrik already knows this. It’s why these changes are coming and it’s how this game will grow the needed population to be successful.

Your pissing against the wind, these changes are inevitable.
I have never been against pvp, I always agree that it is absolutely necessary. that's just in the first mortal, those same veterans have finally stopped seeing the edges of common sense. this is about how stupid and lazy employees play solitaire out of boredom in offices, that's exactly how the first mortal began to look, only instead of solitaire, there were veteran schmucks sitting in ambushes in the same places around the clock and hammering everyone without any sense and even without benefit

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
It’s a catch 22, you can’t have PvP without the inevitable indiscriminate gankers who do what they do just because the game allows them to.

It’s just a question of how you see those indiscriminate gankers? Are they a disruptive fallout that ruins the immersive experience for other players or are they dynamic content creators creating a player driven game world?

I prefer to see them as the latter. MO aims to be an immersive player driven experience but that comes with the drawback of the human condition, which is to say a wide range of influences from cruel a-holes who get off on screwing with people just to watch the world burn because mommy didn’t give them enough hugs and on the other side the do gooders that well bend over backwards to help a total stranger for no reason but to be good guys… and of course, everything in between.

The issue is that one cannot really meaningfully exist without the other. I think MO developers understand this principle but they are also running a business that needs to make money.

In the end, the business will trump design. If creating more penalties and restrictions creates sales and subscriptions, you can count on it like money in the bank that this what they will do.

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
in short, do not interfere with Henrik, let him do it for the players, and not to increase business.....the most disgusting example is Eve online, as soon as the game was sold to Koreans, the business increased, but the game turned into a rare trash can

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
It’s fine if he can sustain it as a business, but if he doesn’t compromise, I don’t like his chances.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I think red tags will be different once they add the zones.

With more options to fight and kill with out being flagged, there should be less tagged reds over all.

Mostly just the players that still choose to kill in the safer zones will get flagged.

Reactions: Melhisedek

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
I think red tags will be different once they add the zones.

With more options to fight and kill with out being flagged, there should be less tagged reds over all.

Mostly just the players that still choose to kill in the safer zones will get flagged.
I have thought about this a great deal and find myself split between the wanted freedom of a game in which players do whatever they want, creating a dynamic content for each other for better or worse and the clear need to create an environment safe enough for new players so that they stay long enough to discover the core gameplay that comes after the newbie experience.

Hopefully whatever that middle ground is, it can be found.

Reactions: Amadman

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
I have thought about this a great deal and find myself split between the wanted freedom of a game in which players do whatever they want, creating a dynamic content for each other for better or worse and the clear need to create an environment safe enough for new players so that they stay long enough to discover the core gameplay that comes after the newbie experience.

Hopefully whatever that middle ground is, it can be found.
you can’t eat your cake and have it too

you

Nov 30, 2020
Nonsense! Flagging systems are a badge of honor and do not prevent PVP, quite to the contrary, they identify a player as someone who is always ready to fight any time.

You want to gank noobs in town? Go for it, but since you do it indiscriminately, now everyone can do it to you without penalty. What is unfair about that? And how does it block PvP? You are going to get attacked left right and center everywhere you go, sounds like you are going to get plenty of PVP
red players are psychopaths and should never have a break from being hunted down.
they shouldn't be able to play the game outside of pvp because they gank blue players.. disgusting!

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
The story repeats itself...

Developers start trying to protect people from pks, and the game dies because of that.

Every good full loot game has the same fate...
Starts amazing in the first years and then gets destroyed by their own creators.
The reason is always the same : "we need to protect players from pks"

Happened to Ultima Online.
Happened to Darkfall online
Happened to Mortal Online 1
And is about to happen on Mortal Online 2.

Now lets wait for the next full loot mmo in order to have fun in the first years too...
Just wrong. Very different reasons these games died.

If you want a successful sandbox game with full loot there is basically a way that has been proven to work for decades which gladly MO2 will follow and that is the empire/low sec/0.0 logic. This when tied together well with the need to traveling through them, good risk reward ratio and areas where you can play more chill just works best for all play styles and doesn't make any game more 'soft'. If you keep a game a pure gankbox it's just dies and that has been proven over and over.

All full loot games that were without any decent ruleset failed so we can be glad MO2 will change here or we could look for a new game pretty soon tm 😏

manure

May 7, 2022
Just wrong. Very different reasons these games died.

If you want a successful sandbox game with full loot there is basically a way that has been proven to work for decades which gladly MO2 will follow and that is the empire/low sec/0.0 logic. This when tied together well with the need to traveling through them, good risk reward ratio and areas where you can play more chill just works best for all play styles and doesn't make any game more 'soft'. If you keep a game a pure gankbox it's just dies and that has been proven over and over.

All full loot games that were without any decent ruleset failed so we can be glad MO2 will change here or we could look for a new game pretty soon tm 😏
Its weird that you put the story this way...
Either you didnt play those games and didnt witness what happened to them or you re simply trolling.

Those great games I listed only started dieing after the developers started making changes to please those people complaining about being pked.

All little rules created to make the life of evil players harder and harder only served to create a boring game with absolutely no excitement.

And no excitement is the biggest reason to make people quit.
Not the pks or griefers.

Those games were spetacular in the beginning.
They only died AFTER the changes made in the core rules...
Was it coincidence ?
Pftt

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
Its weird that you put the story this way...
Either you didnt play those games and didnt witness what happened to them or you re simply trolling.

Those great games I listed only started dieing after the developers started making changes to please those people complaining about being pked.

All little rules created to make the life of evil players harder and harder only served to create a boring game with absolutely no excitement.

And no excitement is the biggest reason to make people quit.
Not the pks or griefers.

Those games were spetacular in the beginning.
They only died AFTER the changes made in the core rules...
Was it coincidence ?
Pftt
Just take darkfall as an example that I played from start to finish.
It did not die because they made it less of a gangbox or anything but because maybe they teased patches and information to be coming soon just to went silent for months without anything. How long did we wait for the darkfall 2.0 patch? 1.5 years or more without anything in between just to get a wipe and dumbed down relaunch version? (reason 1 it died) The added safe zones were the least reason it did not last long..

When the game was thriving the most complains where that the grind was insane (matter of taste, I enjoyed it to a degree) but more important was the problem that with enough grind everyone ended as a warriorarchermagecandoall so most were asking for a simple fix: skill point cap (reason 2 it died) and second complain was that lack of any sort of zone a beaten guild/alliance could rebuild or more pve minded players could play to support the game eco more passively (reason 3 as too late in a dumped down version) in the sense of eve empire space not a 100% safe zone.

It's just that a vocal minority like you also back in DF where making basically the same statement you do, aventurine listened to long so the game died. A simple ffa gankbox will never ever sustain a big enough population to be fun for any playstyle but the wolves never seem to understand 😉

Edit: and just to make it clear what I think a good sandbox full loot game needs is basically zones build up like an onion: a smaller core where it's relatively safe not with magical no attack zones but we'll done penalty systems, guards and consequences if you play bad in there and if you do you got to have the knowledge and skill to survive there and you will be known. The farther you move out the onion the more rewards and the less punishment therefore the example of eve with it's 3 types where in 0.0 space there is the most reward and only the rules of the players that control it.

Last edited:

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
The story repeats itself...

Developers start trying to protect people from pks, and the game dies because of that.

Every good full loot game has the same fate...
Starts amazing in the first years and then gets destroyed by their own creators.
The reason is always the same : "we need to protect players from pks"

Happened to Ultima Online.
Happened to Darkfall online
Happened to Mortal Online 1
And is about to happen on Mortal Online 2.

Now lets wait for the next full loot mmo in order to have fun in the first years too...

That happened before the game got out of testing. This new thing may be your red line, but the game has been horrible since they installed lictors in cities, and became unplayable after the rep changes. Mo2 pre city lictors was one of the best games I have ever played and it went from that to bad then to unplayable. They were faced with a issue so they added countless convoluted systems when it could have just been addressed with some simple value changes. They wasted years of development to make the game worse. They buried the issue by retarding gameplay until they developed the systems which was just harikari. Then they expanded time gates on all pvp with the rep system changes. Then when the systems came out they didn't actually address the issues and were flops in general so they had to keep intact the stunted gameplay. What they have now is a convoluted mess and less players than some private servers.

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
The only full loot games that have any population are the ones that have solo and casual friendly mechanics/game code- OSRS/EVE/ALBION

You are full of delusion if you think you can alienate the biggest market share and have a successful game, I don't care what vision you had or have, you simply cannot and if you are objective and have observed the full-loot MMO sphere for the last two decades you will agree with me. The predatory players or (veterans) as they are called have no loyalty. They will follow the action 9 times out of 10. So if a new game that comes along and everyone goes to play that one...so will your veterans.

The trick? Build a good game. Bring in that population so your predators have no reason to leave. Mortal has the luxury of being the only 3d full-loot MMO in the market right now which is why it has a 1300 player population and not a 0. Everything else is a 2d side scroller or spaceship spreadsheets. You have to consider there are games like AOC on the horizon who will directly compete with Mortal. Who do you think the casuals will choose? Then when they leave, will the predators stay in a low population environment...because loyalty?

Be objective and be rationale, this is a good change but it's not enough. Game needs overhauled and quickly before someone else does what Mortal is trying to do... better.

View attachment 5999

The veterans as you put it hardly play mmos anymore they/we have moved to mobas where there is actual competition and life. Not that mmos can't be competitive, but the competitive states can't survive the RMTers, Pve karens, and developers internal sabotage. You look at the documented histories of muds and Uo and it outlines it perfectly. If you take away that pvpers are bad from the text you are a idiot as most people are, because the real story is that karens have been allowed to ruin these games. There isn't some big mystery to how to solve these problems there is just development the real problem is that the karens will never actually be satisfied. There is some things you are not good enough for, and that is just the way it is and that is what the karens can't handle. The fact is it isn't just pvp games look at wows raiding state, and how the competition was stripped from it. Mo2s progression follows that same path the devs crushed pvp with lictors, then make the game unplayable for pvpers with the rep system, and now the remaining pvpers if there are any need to be flagged, and the next thing is they will need to be pings, because this isn't about gameplay it is about control. The only way for the karens to win is to ruin the game for the pvpers, eventually everyone else that upsets them, and then they will leave the game with a feeling of accomplishment when there is nothing else to ruin.

Reactions: Teknique

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
The veterans as you put it hardly play mmos anymore they/we have moved to mobas where there is actual competition and life. Not that mmos can't be competitive, but the competitive states can't survive the RMTers, Pve karens, and developers internal sabotage. You look at the documented histories of muds and Uo and it outlines it perfectly. If you take away that pvpers are bad from the text you are a idiot as most people are, because the real story is that karens have been allowed to ruin these games. There isn't some big mystery to how to solve these problems there is just development the real problem is that the karens will never actually be satisfied. There is some things you are not good enough for, and that is just the way it is and that is what the karens can't handle. The fact is it isn't just pvp games look at wows raiding state, and how the competition was stripped from it. Mo2s progression follows that same path the devs crushed pvp with lictors, then make the game unplayable for pvpers with the rep system, and now the remaining pvpers if there are any need to be flagged, and the next thing is they will need to be pings, because this isn't about gameplay it is about control. The only way for the karens to win is to ruin the game for the pvpers, eventually everyone else that upsets them, and then they will leave the game with a feeling of accomplishment when there is nothing else to ruin.
It’s not the Karen’s directly that are causing these games to struggle, it’s that for every hardcore PvP vet and fan you have, there are 100,000 Karen’s that are also whales, ready to drop thousands of dollars on cosmetics and extra energy to win the game by buying their way through it. I don't think people realize that games like Minecraft, Fortnite and the Sims 4 make more money alone than the combined total of all other games released over the last 5 decades. There would be 100,000 times more people playing MO 2 today if they could tap into .1% of this market and it wouldn't take very many concessions to do so because even these players are looking for more challenging gameplay, just not quite as hardcore as most vets want MO 2 to be.

These markets are available and can be tapped into by games like MO 2 because there is a very large portion of these communities that have grown very unsatisfied with the low level and depth of modern games. They want challenges a keen to MO 2. We saw a lot of this even in MO 1 where players coming to the game from the likes of World Of Warcraft for example looking for something more robust and interactive.

Open-world, full loot PvP’s simply don’t represent a community large enough to sustain an mmo (any MMO) on the really hardcore level, some concessions must be made. Eve Online is a great example of these types of concessions working, it's one of the few deep MMO's still profitably operating from the early 2000's. This has been the reality for decades, people keep trying but ultimately games are businesses and people need to make money which leads them to compromise these designs to attract these other markets where even if you can just get a tiny snippet, like 1%, MO 2 can sustain.

The reality is if the hardcore PvP vets get the game they want, its failure is a 100% certainty and there is 40 years of data proving that beyond the shadow of a doubt and 0 data suggesting there is a route to success.

In a sense, MO 2 must compromise to succeed and the details of that compromise will determine how many vets remain. The reality is that they really aren't needed, with the right compromises, MO 2 will tap into a wider market and like Eve Online, can continue for a couple of decades with vets bitching about it, while the game succeeds despite them.

The devil however is in the details and the thing I worry is that it will compromise itself in a way that excludes Vets yet not sufficiently to attract a wider market. This was the problem with MO 1 and Darkfall for example. A lot of it however was more marketing then reality. MO 1 for example had a reputation due to the marketing for being a super hardcore PvP game and so people never even tried it. It was a terrible marketing strategy. If you look at games like Eve Online, they pitch the expansive world, the cool niche features and the high and low levels of gameplay. MO 2 needs to be more gracious and inviting to people who want to play casual, solo etc... if it wants to capture these markets.

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
It’s not the Karen’s directly that are causing these games to struggle, it’s that for every hardcore PvP vet and fan you have, there are 100,000 Karen’s that are also whales, ready to drop thousands of dollars on cosmetics and extra energy to win the game by buying their way through it. I don't think people realize that games like Minecraft, Fortnite and the Sims 4 make more money alone than the combined total of all other games released over the last 5 decades. There would be 100,000 times more people playing MO 2 today if they could tap into .1% of this market and it wouldn't take very many concessions to do so because even these players are looking for more challenging gameplay, just not quite as hardcore as most vets want MO 2 to be.

These markets are available and can be tapped into by games like MO 2 because there is a very large portion of these communities that have grown very unsatisfied with the low level and depth of modern games. They want challenges a keen to MO 2. We saw a lot of this even in MO 1 where players coming to the game from the likes of World Of Warcraft for example looking for something more robust and interactive.

Open-world, full loot PvP’s simply don’t represent a community large enough to sustain an mmo (any MMO) on the really hardcore level, some concessions must be made. Eve Online is a great example of these types of concessions working, it's one of the few deep MMO's still profitably operating from the early 2000's. This has been the reality for decades, people keep trying but ultimately games are businesses and people need to make money which leads them to compromise these designs to attract these other markets where even if you can just get a tiny snippet, like 1%, MO 2 can sustain.

The reality is if the hardcore PvP vets get the game they want, its failure is a 100% certainty and there is 40 years of data proving that beyond the shadow of a doubt and 0 data suggesting there is a route to success.

In a sense, MO 2 must compromise to succeed and the details of that compromise will determine how many vets remain. The reality is that they really aren't needed, with the right compromises, MO 2 will tap into a wider market and like Eve Online, can continue for a couple of decades with vets bitching about it, while the game succeeds despite them.

The devil however is in the details and the thing I worry is that it will compromise itself in a way that excludes Vets yet not sufficiently to attract a wider market. This was the problem with MO 1 and Darkfall for example. A lot of it however was more marketing then reality. MO 1 for example had a reputation due to the marketing for being a super hardcore PvP game and so people never even tried it. It was a terrible marketing strategy. If you look at games like Eve Online, they pitch the expansive world, the cool niche features and the high and low levels of gameplay. MO 2 needs to be more gracious and inviting to people who want to play casual, solo etc... if it wants to capture these markets.
Ok well we didn't get the game we wanted in mo2 or new world. The dev teams listened to the karens make the same exact threats you are now and the games still failed.

Minecraft is a great game and is pretty hard core lol with full loot lol. When it comes to monetization mincrafts system enhanced game play with the system that allowed players to create whole new worlds and games withing there game. Mo2 wanted better monetization which is one of the things they did very right for instance I love diablo, but I didn't buy 4 because they added a cash shop.

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
Ok well we didn't get the game we wanted in mo2 or new world. The dev teams listened to the karens make the same exact threats you are now and the games still failed.

Minecraft is a great game and is pretty hard core lol with full loot lol. When it comes to monetization mincrafts system enhanced game play with the system that allowed players to create whole new worlds and games withing there game. Mo2 wanted better monetization which is one of the things they did very right for instance I love diablo, but I didn't buy 4 because they added a cash shop.
Neither MO2 or New World have failed. They have failed in the eyes of the hardcore vet community, one, no offense, so small they are economically irrelevant.

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
1.5k players on a good day which is mostly bots is less than many private servers including the bots. If you think new world was anything but a flop you are delusional with a player retention of 2.2% which are also likely mostly bots. It is funny you say "They have failed in the eyes of the hardcore vet community, one, no offense, so small they are economically irrelevant." when if you are making a pvp game they certainly are economically relevant lol. Sorry it doesn't fit the narrative you use to threaten game developers, but you seem really disconnected from the topic as if you are parroting what you have heard other say. The fact is in many games people like you were given nearly everything you ask for and the games died because you are not a good developer.

Last edited:

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
New world cost 200M dollars to make and they sold 20 million copies of the game, a good chunk of which were deluxe editions. Even when calculating tax, ongoing development and server maintenance they are a minimum in the 500+ million profit. I don't know what world you live in where you can call that a "failure". The game is still running and it has an overall Very Positive rating on Steam and a Mostly Positive review with over 200,000 votes.

So far as MO 2 goes, the servers are up and running, updates/patches are coming out all the time, the game has hardly "failed". Grant it they have only sold about 100k give or take copies of the game, but frankly, the games marketing sucks.

I am not threatening the developers, I'm supporting them. The changes they are implementing is what this game needs.