The Reason Why Combat Is Slower Than It Used To Be

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
Lost me there tbh.
But yea beyblading was fun, though I dislike how it looks it had a place, does take skill to land good whirlwind hits.

Yes, even though it looked like shit it sort of filled the place of the non-existing feints and quickly altering your swing that you would normally do to bypass someone blocking you.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
Very wrong there dude, Henrik himself says combat is about group combat and more importantly bigger fights

Henrik, unfortunately, still believes that big 100 vs 100 battles will be the daily occurrence in Mortal Online 2. A notion that will negatively impact the game's design philosophy until it is too late. I respect the vision, as team fights are the most fun combat of Mortal, and they ought to be focused on...

but dueling cannot be discredited from being a constant regular occurrence that decides a lot for many people, especially new players with little to their name and no frame of reference, or accomplished pvp'ers with a reputation.

The normal gamer in MO I would say from experience is around the 50-150 ping range. Those above and below are the anomaly.

Let's take a look at the world's largest gaming markets.
A link or two so you may follow along, my good man.

#1 is United States or China, depending on how you measure it. Either of these is easily over 100 ping and often up to 180 ping from the London based MO2 server.

#2 is either United States or China depending on how you measure it. See above.

#3 is Japan. Another very high ping to London.

#4 South Korea. High ping to London.

#5 Germany. Quite a low ping to London. The closest to being what you'd consider "average" middle of the road ping. German internet is much better than east coast American internet, i'll tell ya hwat.

#6 United Kingdom. Extremely low ping to London.

So just going off of these.. the top 4 largest gaming markets in the world are really far from the server, and the 5th and 6th largest are the closest to the server.

How exactly do you figure that bad / really good ping is an anomaly? The difference between 50 ping and 150 ping in a twitchy game is huge. I've got that Western New York fluctuating between 130-160 interwebs.

Some would make the argument that the Mortal population isn't made up of the largest gaming markets, and that is both not quite true, as there are MANY North and South Americans playing, and the argument ignores the fact that there might be an obvious reason markets that are given a raw deal decide not to invest in the game.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Henrik, unfortunately, still believes that big 100 vs 100 battles will be the daily occurrence in Mortal Online 2. A notion that will negatively impact the game's design philosophy until it is too late. I respect the vision, as team fights are the most fun combat of Mortal, and they ought to be focused on...

but dueling cannot be discredited from being a constant regular occurrence that decides a lot for many people, especially new players with little to their name and no frame of reference, or accomplished pvp'ers with a reputation.

Let's take a look at the world's largest gaming markets.
A link or two so you may follow along, my good man.

#1 is United States or China, depending on how you measure it. Either of these is easily over 100 ping and often up to 180 ping from the London based MO2 server.

#2 is either United States or China depending on how you measure it. See above.

#3 is Japan. Another very high ping to London.

#4 South Korea. High ping to London.

#5 Germany. Quite a low ping to London. The closest to being what you'd consider "average" middle of the road ping. German internet is much better than east coast American internet, i'll tell ya hwat.

#6 United Kingdom. Extremely low ping to London.

So just going off of these.. the top 4 largest gaming markets in the world are really far from the server, and the 5th and 6th largest are the closest to the server.

How exactly do you figure that bad / really good ping is an anomaly? The difference between 50 ping and 150 ping in a twitchy game is huge. I've got that Western New York fluctuating between 130-160 interwebs.

Some would make the argument that the Mortal population isn't made up of the largest gaming markets, and that is both not quite true, as there are MANY North and South Americans playing, and the argument ignores the fact that there might be an obvious reason markets that are given a raw deal decide not to invest in the game.
Yea I hear many claim so after dying in games. Yet I have never not joined NA servers in FPS games and twitchy games and have no problem playing against them.

There are some NAs in MO2 claiming ping is still an issue and you have some NAs asking how in hell are players still blaming ping.
So from that you know there are some players who are just so bad that they will always blame lag/ping/whatever other excuse.

I played MO with 10 ping, 30 ping, 60 ping and 170 ping and I must say I played the same and with the same results.
A bad player will not magically get good in MO2 if he got UK ping.

If you feel combat now is at a good pace and before was too fast that means you have bad reaction times. With that low reaction times how can you be sure its ping or your lack of skill that let swings through your blocks ?

Yes US and China has the biggest zerg irl, that dont mean Uschina has the most hardcore gamers out there. Theres a reason no big game developer are making these kind of games. SV is a Swedish crew and the first to make this type of hardcore game, even though the US outnumbers Sweden by what a million to one. The US cant make a better game of this type than Sweden.

Now if US greed companies have come to the result that theres no gain to make such a game, theres just not enough American hardcore gamers wanting such a game.
Thats why the game made by the EU company SV has its servers in EU, blame your greedy companies that dont want to make this type of games.

Anyways everyone knows most "gamers" these days play mobile and has nothing to do with MO2.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
But can you do it without getting counters fed ? Spins imo only work with stabs, other swings are easy enough to spot.
On an average player it looks wonky enough to break someone won’t work on everyone uncharged. Won’t work on everyone period for that matter

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
On an average player it looks wonky enough to break someone won’t work on everyone uncharged. Won’t work on everyone period for that matter
Yea aint that the truth.

Weirdest I experienced is beating a lot of the better duelists with a new tactic and trying it on a way worse player and losing hard while wondering WTactualF ?

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
Yea I hear many claim so after dying in games. Yet I have never not joined NA servers in FPS games and twitchy games and have no problem playing against them.

This works a little different in a game like MO2 where you're connecting to a game world server which adds additional overhead due to validation and the such. When you're connecting to a server in an fps, typically you won't find that over head since it's not doing as many, if any checks that MO2 has to do for it to actually work. For instance when you swing, hit, block, move, etc the server has to keep track of all that to some degree and relay the confirmation to all the parties involved.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
If you feel combat now is at a good pace and before was too fast that means you have bad reaction times. With that low reaction times how can you be sure its ping or your lack of skill that let swings through your blocks ?

Aside from putting up a block and watching the blade pass through it, even in instances where the blade went up as the swing was cocked back? You know I was regularly dueling with technique, patwins, and pals too right? Often beating tech, and sometimes beating pat? The only people I struggled against were the people whose attacks went through my blocks and who were somehow allowed to visually block my attacks after I'd already hit them. That's how I know.

I'm 24 years old, I have consistent 145ms to 175ms reaction time, and great aim. For reference, average reaction time is between 200-250ms.
Aim.png

Yes US and China has the biggest zerg irl, that dont mean Uschina has the most hardcore gamers out there. Theres a reason no big game developer are making these kind of games. SV is a Swedish crew and the first to make this type of hardcore game, even though the US outnumbers Sweden by what a million to one. The US cant make a better game of this type than Sweden.

What does any of that even mean?

How the hell do you gauge the "hardcore" population of gamers?

You know Ultima Online was made by Americans right? The grand daddy of this genre?.. which is still alive today?
Darkfall was made by Greeks. EVE had Icelandic devs. You haven't made a good argument all night.

Reactions: Teknique

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
You know Ultima Online was made by Americans right? The grand daddy of this genre?.. which is still alive today?
Darkfall was made by Greeks. EVE had Icelandic devs. You haven't made a good argument all night.

You forgot Lineage, the korean step child of UO and a game where people would literally have web cafe brawls if not out right kill each other in gang land like violence. Can't get more hard core than that.

• Love
Reactions: Kavu

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Aside from putting up a block and watching the blade pass through it, even in instances where the blade went up as the swing was cocked back? You know I was regularly dueling with technique, patwins, and pals too right? Often beating tech, and sometimes beating pat? The only people I struggled against were the people whose attacks went through my blocks and who were somehow allowed to visually block my attacks after I'd already hit them. That's how I know.

I'm 24 years old, I have consistent 145ms to 175ms reaction time, and great aim. For reference, average reaction time is between 200-250ms.
View attachment 481

Wow man no need to get hurt, calm those tits. I wasnt saying you per se but anyone struggling with reacting to the average player with fast paced combat.
Yes I agree with you that noone cant react consistently to UK ping except UK players, but that is a very small percentage to balance your game around, same with bad players even though they pose a much larger audience, same with high pingers.

You balance around the average joe along with your vision and MOs vision is a real time combat system where player skill matter, in order for skill to matter more than gear and numbers you need combat hard enough that to master it you cant be Mr.Average Joe.

That means just because most gamers come out of the US and China wont mean the most hardcore gamers come from those areas. And it wont mean this niche game appeals to those type of gamers.

Yes UO was made by US company, but if you hear what LordBritish says about it and why it failed, players really didnt want that type game and thats why it died with Trammel.
Yes Greece is in EU and yes Iceland is in EU.
When was the last harcore MMORPG sandbox open world full loot full pvp game released by a US company ? hmmmm....

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

View attachment 481

I've determined based on this aim trainer that i'm the best.

I really just hope I can sic death knights on people and melee them at the same time to end this debate once and for all.

and whoa often is a strong word bud :p.

Thats like saying I catch dome often because I can't count the times on all my fingers and toes

1606786594618.png