Taming, Domestication and Mounts

Badgerblade

Dec 8, 2021
So 100 hours in and I'm loving the game, I'm completely new to the MO series but I can see my self here for a long time

After a couple of re rolls I have settled on a Dex/Mage Tamer (Domination when in game) and enjoying it despite it being unfinished and pets being buggy at times

I do have a couple of questions as I have not been following for to long and struggling to find the answers..

I have 100 in Advanced creature control, Animal Care, Taming, Beast Mastery (I know its not in yet) and Herding, how ever its hard to roam without a horse so using my Campadon or Terror Bird isnt viable as they nearly max my pet points so are forced to run, which leads me to my question, will we be able to eventually mount such animals?

Also I believe you can't sell dominated pets, but will you be able to stable them?

Thanks to who ever can answer these for me

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Mount campadons or terror birds? In MO1 you couldn't, so most likely not. There were no really good fighting pets that were also good mounts. That would be a pretty OP pet imo. But you never know with SV.

Yes you will be able to stable dominated pets.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
They said at some point that in MO2 they wanted to make it so you can mount bigger pets. But that doesnt mean its going to happen. But will be cool if it was. You just discovered on of the biggest issues of pet users in MO1. You cant have a good pet and a mount. And now the world is way too big, so having no mount isn't really an option.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Well molvas were big, especially bull molvas. However, they were not practical mounts due to slow speed and stamina pool. They were fearsome pets with armour on mostly due to their insane health pool.

the other main issue with pets is in pvp. Especially group pvp. I used to love being a tamer in early MO1, but once you start to do a lot of group pvp, you start to notice some major problems.

1) your pet always gets focused on right away by any ranged enemy. There is nothing you can do to save your pet but hide or run away, which isnt always possible. Even if you manage to keep your pet alive long enough to engage, it will still get focused down super fast. Pets dont block so they take a lot of damage. You besically spend most of the fight trying to save your pet from dying.

2) once your pet is killed, especially on roams, you are almost useless. Maybe you can help with a bit of magic or a bow, but the majority of your damage potential is gone with your pet. Taming from the wild is time intensive and very unreliable. You often dont have time to do it during a pvp engagement.

3) pets getting stuck on terrain. This makes them incredibly unreliable especially in rough terrain. Super annoying for the whole group and a huge pain in the ass allaround. Often ends up with your pet getting killed.

4) your pet attacks can be used, by your enemy, to get parrys. then your enemy will hit you with the counter for a lot of very quick damage. Ok so this is more for 1vs1 and your enemy has to be a bit skilled, but its certainly a thing. Ive had it done to me many times. If you stay far enough hewill just use those counters on your pet. Cant heal through 80+ damage counters for very long.

5) if you find mounted enemies your pet is useless, and so are all your points in taming/beast mastery. your pet will probably die, and there isnt much you can do about it.

so yea, taming and pets are really cool but in serious pvp they are extremely situational, and only very few of them are effective. Also, once necromacy comes out there is a high chance that the death knight will render all other pets usless ( if its anything like in MO1).

Last edited:
Reactions: BashWetliar

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
Molvas, Bull horses and Lykiators were all OP as aggressive pets and mounts at different times in MO1 these were changed because they were ruining combat with little trade off.