Tamer archer viable?

ShadowPete

Mar 18, 2021
Thinking of doing archer tamer instead of mage tamer, using veterinary instead of healing spells.

How viable is this?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
It depends on what you mean by archer. If by archer, you mean someone who focuses really hard on archery and doesn't even really do melee, this currently is not a viable spec. With or without taming. If by archer you mean someone who wields and can do good damage with a bow, but also can wield a melee weapon if pushed into melee. Then this is a very viable build. With or without a pet.

In terms of the idea of, can you use pets without magic? Yes. You're not going to be able to save your pet with heals midfight, but you can heal them up after the fight. So essentially if you run this build you are:

A. Relying on allied mages to heal your pet midfight.
B. Relying on yourself and your pet to down the enemy before your pet dies so you can heal it up after combat.

Given pets are quite strong, both are quite viable ways to play.

If you need further help with your build feel free to PM me. Kaemik#0057

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Like Keamik said, archery by itself isn't strong enough. Even with a pet, enemies will just use your pet as a shield from your arrows, meanwhile killing your pet. Then they will come for you. Also steel armour makes arrow damage almost useless.

Its good for pve but not pvp. In pvp you can soften them up with arrows but you will have to engage them with a melee weapon eventually.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
Thinking of doing archer tamer instead of mage tamer, using veterinary instead of healing spells.

How viable is this?

i've been flipping between both for some time, totally depends on how much pvp/self defence or pve/taming is included in that 'viable' part
so much comes down to playstyle and priorities, solo vs team play,etc., |
i wouldn't worry about the meta too much at this point.

Reactions: ShadowPete

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
i've said this a lot of times but this game isn't like WoW where you can have some fantasy build like playing an unarmed monk or a hunter. Simply put any build the is 100% ranged is going to situational and there's really no reason to not have melee too

Reactions: ShadowPete

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
i've said this a lot of times but this game isn't like WoW where you can have some fantasy build like playing an unarmed monk or a hunter. Simply put any build the is 100% ranged is going to situational and there's really no reason to not have melee too

I appreciate that archers need melee as it's realistic. The medieval archer generally carried a sidearm to defend themselves with. HOWEVER, even in real life troops equipped for archery were not optimally equipped for melee.

I think a lot of work needs to be done on the melee and archery skill trees. Primarily, there needs to be A LOT more value provided by full-speccing archer and splashing only melee weapon and blocking into melee. There also needs to be some more skills dedicated to melee combat. For one, based on how vastly superior to 1h weapons, I think 2h weapons should need a primary skill. And spears should be treated as a 2h weapon for that purpose as they can be wielded 2h and are vastly superior to all other 1h weapons.

I might make combat maneuvering and sprinting secondaries to account for people needing to specialize more given that every viable build except a tiny handful of mount bound builds takes them to 100.