Suggestion to Devs: How to release a game in 2021 plus some inspiration from "Bethesda Elder Scrolls" criticism WHAT MORTALONLINE2 NEEDS BEFORE LAUNCH

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Let's begin with Feedback and Suggestions on what a Number2 of any good should be in todays gaming market. People who enjoy video games more then ever have really high standards. No longer is bad graphics, or a unfinished game with planned DLC years after launch what players want. If you went to Burger King and Ordered a Burger but it didn't have everything on it, but the promise that next time you came to visit you would get your food, would you A.) Come back for another visit. Or B.) Order a Hamburger from a different restaurant? Too often Developers want to Give Half a Hamburger, they will then deliver the fries and drink as DLC or PLANNED Updates Years later. The result is usually a angry player base who spreads their anger about the game, ensuring other players never go near the game people said was bad. We saw this happen a lot in Mo1 the bugs and lack of content for years drove the player base down until there was almost nothing left.

A PERFECT EXAMPLE, and A CAUTIONARY TALE AS TO WHAT NOT TO DO: So if Bethesda who makes Elder Scrolls/Fall Out games can't succeed with their trick of Fall out 76. Then it proves players want more now. FallOut76 was a empty promise from a game studio (Bethesda) otherwise dedicated towards quality. The developers got money hungry and released 76 which was a crap game. The Same year Blizzard announced DIABLO IMMORTAL a Phone Game, a OBVIOUS Money Grab and they too received a ton of Back lash from their player base who had waited nearly a decade for a new Diablo game! Many more examples are out there on the internet but let's move on.

So lets review Mortal Online2 with some honest feedback: If you compare Mortal Online1 to Mortal Online2, MO2 doesn't even come close to having everything Mo1 had. There is a distinct lack of magic schools, Mortal Online1 had Ecumenical, Spiritism, Necromancy, and Elementalism. Mo2 has just 1 magic school, Ecumenical with many "PLANNED" Schools for the future. Veterans of Mortal Online will remember the Magic Scrolls you could find in Mo1 that were also "PLANNED" Magic schools. But never came to fruition which could be compared to a Bethesda/Blizzard game promise that did not happen. Mortal Online2 lacks all the Armor/Weapon options That First game had as well. It lacks all the materials for bows that the 1st game had as well as nothing new to note in the Archery combat category. It lacks all the Mounts the 1st game had. It lacks Sarducca that the 1st game had.

In short Mo2 even though it is still in development is the same as ordering a Hamburger that doesn't come with everything on it, with Planned Lettuce and Tomatoes and Mustard in the years to come.

Improvements: Mortal Online2 should at BARE MINIMUM have everything that Mortal Online1 had Plus a bit more. Right now Mortal Online1 has more then Mo2, this is terrible because a Number2 is supposed to be New and Improved not Less and not as good. We can see this play out in full scale in the forums already when players argue about Necromancy magic being the next planned school, some players are infuriated that we won't see a new school in the second game before seeing necromancy. This is because some players already had Necro in the last game. But it's more then that, from a overall viewpoint Necro/Elementalism/Spiritism all need to be in the game before persistence in the 1st place. With A added Magic school or 2 added on top. It's just Progression in game development.

The Elder Scrolls: A Promise Unfulfilled | Complete Elder Scrolls Documentary, History and Analysis - YouTube A Great Video goes into Depth about a series that had a bunch of things going for it but could have been so much better then it was. Is Mortal Online2 also doomed to be another game that could have been great but wasn't due to lack of content?

Final thoughts: I'd caution the Developers to not get money hungry or feel pressured to release Mortal Online2 early or too quickly, there is value in releasing a game and making it better then your last game and you will save yourself a lot of anger from fans loyal to your games if your game is better then the last. Not Years in the future, but as it is on release persistence launch. :)

Reactions: Draug

Jaseace

May 28, 2020
So lets review Mortal Online2 with some honest feedback: If you compare Mortal Online1 to Mortal Online2, MO2 doesn't even come close to having everything Mo1 had. There is a distinct lack of magic schools, Mortal Online1 had Ecumenical, Spiritism, Necromancy, and Elementalism. Mo2 has just 1 magic school, Ecumenical with many "PLANNED" Schools for the future.
It took many, MANY years before MO1 ever got new magic schools. Give them their time, only advice I got. Spiritism was a HUGE deal, and it came out what, half a decade after release? The fact that they are even working on the schools now, instead of later, says a lot of the new SV direction vs. the old one. Yes, the game is pretty feature bare rn, but to give some slack, they lost a lot of important time last year during early development to the rona. My biggest issue with it was the lack of communication from the dev team (RIP Jonas, I still miss you and your updates), and well, Henrik streams and communicates with us all consistently now.
It's a small team working through one of the hardest times in modern history, but Henrik has always been upfront about one thing, this is his dream and vision. Mortal always has been a passion project, so I'm not too worried about "money hungry" behavior, he's just trying to keep his indie studio afloat when plenty of others would have closed their doors already. The passion, however many question it, has kept us going so far, and the direction has been pretty great. Time is all that's left, and no man is the master of time. As us MO Veterans are quick to say, the updates will be here Soon (TM)

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Let's begin with Feedback and Suggestions on what a Number2 of any good should be in todays gaming market. People who enjoy video games more then ever have really high standards. No longer is bad graphics, or a unfinished game with planned DLC years after launch what players want. If you went to Burger King and Ordered a Burger but it didn't have everything on it, but the promise that next time you came to visit you would get your food, would you A.) Come back for another visit. Or B.) Order a Hamburger from a different restaurant? Too often Developers want to Give Half a Hamburger, they will then deliver the fries and drink as DLC or PLANNED Updates Years later. The result is usually a angry player base who spreads their anger about the game, ensuring other players never go near the game people said was bad. We saw this happen a lot in Mo1 the bugs and lack of content for years drove the player base down until there was almost nothing left.

A PERFECT EXAMPLE, and A CAUTIONARY TALE AS TO WHAT NOT TO DO: So if Bethesda who makes Elder Scrolls/Fall Out games can't succeed with their trick of Fall out 76. Then it proves players want more now. FallOut76 was a empty promise from a game studio (Bethesda) otherwise dedicated towards quality. The developers got money hungry and released 76 which was a crap game. The Same year Blizzard announced DIABLO IMMORTAL a Phone Game, a OBVIOUS Money Grab and they too received a ton of Back lash from their player base who had waited nearly a decade for a new Diablo game! Many more examples are out there on the internet but let's move on.

So lets review Mortal Online2 with some honest feedback: If you compare Mortal Online1 to Mortal Online2, MO2 doesn't even come close to having everything Mo1 had. There is a distinct lack of magic schools, Mortal Online1 had Ecumenical, Spiritism, Necromancy, and Elementalism. Mo2 has just 1 magic school, Ecumenical with many "PLANNED" Schools for the future. Veterans of Mortal Online will remember the Magic Scrolls you could find in Mo1 that were also "PLANNED" Magic schools. But never came to fruition which could be compared to a Bethesda/Blizzard game promise that did not happen. Mortal Online2 lacks all the Armor/Weapon options That First game had as well. It lacks all the materials for bows that the 1st game had as well as nothing new to note in the Archery combat category. It lacks all the Mounts the 1st game had. It lacks Sarducca that the 1st game had.

In short Mo2 even though it is still in development is the same as ordering a Hamburger that doesn't come with everything on it, with Planned Lettuce and Tomatoes and Mustard in the years to come.

Improvements: Mortal Online2 should at BARE MINIMUM have everything that Mortal Online1 had Plus a bit more. Right now Mortal Online1 has more then Mo2, this is terrible because a Number2 is supposed to be New and Improved not Less and not as good. We can see this play out in full scale in the forums already when players argue about Necromancy magic being the next planned school, some players are infuriated that we won't see a new school in the second game before seeing necromancy. This is because some players already had Necro in the last game. But it's more then that, from a overall viewpoint Necro/Elementalism/Spiritism all need to be in the game before persistence in the 1st place. With A added Magic school or 2 added on top. It's just Progression in game development.

The Elder Scrolls: A Promise Unfulfilled | Complete Elder Scrolls Documentary, History and Analysis - YouTube A Great Video goes into Depth about a series that had a bunch of things going for it but could have been so much better then it was. Is Mortal Online2 also doomed to be another game that could have been great but wasn't due to lack of content?

Final thoughts: I'd caution the Developers to not get money hungry or feel pressured to release Mortal Online2 early or too quickly, there is value in releasing a game and making it better then your last game and you will save yourself a lot of anger from fans loyal to your games if your game is better then the last. Not Years in the future, but as it is on release persistence launch. :)
It took many, MANY years before MO1 ever got new magic schools. Give them their time, only advice I got. Spiritism was a HUGE deal, and it came out what, half a decade after release? The fact that they are even working on the schools now, instead of later, says a lot of the new SV direction vs. the old one. Yes, the game is pretty feature bare rn, but to give some slack, they lost a lot of important time last year during early development to the rona. My biggest issue with it was the lack of communication from the dev team (RIP Jonas, I still miss you and your updates), and well, Henrik streams and communicates with us all consistently now.
It's a small team working through one of the hardest times in modern history, but Henrik has always been upfront about one thing, this is his dream and vision. Mortal always has been a passion project, so I'm not too worried about "money hungry" behavior, he's just trying to keep his indie studio afloat when plenty of others would have closed their doors already. The passion, however many question it, has kept us going so far, and the direction has been pretty great. Time is all that's left, and no man is the master of time. As us MO Veterans are quick to say, the updates will be here Soon (TM)
I think what Jaseace is trying to tell you is

To be careful not to choke on your aspirations.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I think what Jaseace is trying to tell you is

To be careful not to choke on your aspirations.
Most modern games the second game has everything the 1st game had plus a lot more. I think most of their 1st game they should be able to reliably port in some way or another to the 2nd game, and if they have a bigger dev team i don't think it's too big of a stretch to wish for everything Mo1 had plus a little bit more for number 2 before release. I think the only part of that dream that would be a hard accomplishment before release would be releasing sarducca continent before persistence. But if they can cover all their other bases i think that would be a very respectable direction to take development.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I think they are taking a great direction with the Roadmap showing us 3 months of planned development at a time is a fantastic way to keep us updated. A New City is planned, Mercenary Plate is a new armor in the game, and i am excited to see Animism as it appears it is on the skills list already and may be a part of the game before persistence. I'm a fat mage and would love to be able to fight off warriors in my animal form from animism whatever that may be. So we are getting some new things already which is really great.

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
MO2 already has a base to offer a lot more than it has. Probably more than MO1, which I have not played (other than a few hours) so I cannot be sure. I have heard many veterans being happy though. Saying how there are no utterly useless caldes and builds as before. How much having a combat capable character and a crafter means for the gameplay, etc.

I see a lot of people complaining about the current state of the game in discord, and while I do enjoy it even now I think all of us ultimately play it for what it will be, or for what we hope it will be. It would be great if it released in its full state. If development could continue until it is fully baked. But gamedev is hardly easy, especially of an MMO, and especially for a small team.

I am not saying that I think it is ok to release a game in a persistant early access with just the bare bones in it and charge people a monthly subscription. But it is also not ok to run out of money, betray investor trust and shut down the company. Real life is like that sometimes. A lot of times. You just have to make do with what you have. I will be here and support them because I like their vision and I like playing it even in this state, but I understand it will be difficult for other (most) people who want to try out a new game and see the state of it.

Let's just enjoy our time in it and hope for the best. Sharing our passion with friends outside of the game also helps. :)

Reactions: Teknique

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
I would rather eat a hamburger with only the bread and meat rather than a hamburger with all the ingredients on it rotten and moldy.

Reactions: Kokolo

Vito

Feb 23, 2021
MO2 in beta is already better than other MMOs only because of the combat system. This game is simply created for the elite, not for millions of bots and gardeners who imitate online. if you don't like it, don't load the server, thanks =)

Reactions: Kokolo and Teknique

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
Your thread titles are literally the worst I've ever seen on these forums.
Holy hell I just checked and it's a sight to behold. Along with the imperative requests like "add monsters in trees" there are titles like these which are passive aggresive. As if SV didn't know how to release a game by now. They need this guy to figure it out. :ROFLMAO: