Suggestion - Standardise Shaft Lengths & Remove clutter

Would you like standardised shaft length options for crafting shafted weapons?

• Yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No (Please explain why in the comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Hello everyone,

Today we will be discussing weapon shafts and some problems I have with the current selection of them in game.

Currently we have several shaft options to choose from, specifically:

5 One handed axe shafts
5 Two handed axe shafts
5 Poleaxe shafts
5 Spear shafts

Each one of these is an arbitrary length, with seemingly random cosmetic additions such as leather wraps or metal rings. They are also locked to their respective categories.

I propose we standardise shaft lengths and cull the enormous selection of shafts in favor of a more meaningful and distinctive set of shafts.

I am suggesting we have three (or more) distinct two handed shaft lengths.

Short shaft
Medium shaft
Long shaft

These shafts should be clearly visually distinct from each other in length, such that you can easily identify what type of shaft someone is holding.

A shaft is simply a long round (or oval) stick, that will have its visual appearance determined by the choice of wood used when crafting. There is no need to have 20 different arbitrarily lengthed shafts with their only distinctive differences being cosmetic variances as mentioned above.

All we need is the base length selections, and the visuals come from the materials used.

Let us not dwell on the sunk cost fallacy of not using available assets, and focus on making the game as good as it can be.

I am also proposing that we lift the category restriction for the most part, and allow different weapon heads to be placed upon these three standard shaft lengths, at least where easily applicable such as axe heads, clubs and spears all sharing the same shaft selection.

I can understand wanting to restrict things like pole axes and halberds to medium and long shafts respectively, but for axes, clubs and spears I see no reason why they should not all have access to the same shafts.

One handed shafts should be a similar story, with standardised shafts between the axes and club heads.

As a part two to this suggestion, I would also seed the idea to allow such cosmetic options to be selectable via the "grip" material used for shafted weapons, with metal rings requiring a metal grip material, and leather wraps requiring leather or textiles.

For this reason it might also be possible to leave out the grip material option when crafting a shafted weapon as we don't always want such additions, however I can imagine this may require recalculating the crafting system to some extent which may take some work.

That brings us to the end of this thread,

If you have any thoughts of your own on this topic, please don't hesitate to mention them below.

Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day.

May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
Clubs, Axes, and spears should have access to all poles and shafts.

the daggers, 1h blades, 2h blades go onto any "hilt" and all 1handed shafts

the upcoming Polesword blades could go onto 1h hilts and 1handed shafts (they are short/medium length blades so i don't see why not)

the Poleaxe heads could be used on 1h shafts but if ppl think thats stupid, we can always restrict them to longer poles.

i think with what Valoran propose, this settup would bring back Mo1 diversity into mo2 crafting system.

also i love the fact that we have to use more than just metal/wood+wood for weapon recipe now if you want a good pvp weapon

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
What is difference to the old system with long, short, sauroter etc. handles? I mean I´m sympathetic if you want the old system back since I think it´s superior, but sadly SV thinks the current one will be easiert to balance. Which is correct in theory but will not work out in reality.

What I like about your idea is that it would be showing of the materials which is important for immersion as well as being able to tell what your opponent is using and that it makes the difference to "legendary" items more distinct. I feel some of the handles are very ornate compared to what we had in the past.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
I like your idéa Valoran, makes it less messy. But i also like the length of the current poleaxe shafts as well as the difference between firm handle and gripped handle of the spears. Maybe we could get 5 types of lengths for axes, maces, poleaxes, Bardiches , halberds, spears. maybe limiting them to some. Axes and maces only use the 2-3 shorter handles and halberds and spears use the 3 longer handles Etc. I also do like the cosmetic stuff but maybe you get that depending on grip materials or something.

Last edited: