Smaller issues that need to be addressed before launch (personal opinion)

tntdogs

Mar 8, 2021
Hey, really love this game but some things that I think you must address before launching are the following.
I might expand this list in the future (if possible).
(Atm these are just QoL changes, mostly minor things)

And I would argue that minor QoL things actually can change the impression of new players a lot. I won't get into detail but after talking to my UX colleague at work there are apparently studies on this lol. Even though I at times think UX is just a bs profession.

1. The action bar needs to work like you would assume it works.
    When I move a shortcut that is placed on the action bar to a new position on the action bar, I would assume it MOVES from the old position to a NEW position.
    This is not the case, it remains in the old position but also gets put in the new position (It is suddenly in 2 positions). Just a weird unexpected behavior.
    Also if my intention is to replace an item on my action bar, I would assume that it replaces the old thing placed on the action bar, and the old thing gets attached to my mouse and I can put it in a new place. This is a standard in every other game, but not yet in MO2 (for understandable reasons, small team, great ambitions.)

2. If I have a carcass in my bag and try to butcher it. The butcher window closes when I am moving and gives me the advice Window was closed due to moving too far away. This is also a smaller QoL thing that I have noticed bothers me a lot. This probably does not affect a lot of people, but it can affect a part of the audience that tries to multitask. Which I assume is quite a large chunk of the player base considering the target audience is people who enjoy hardcore games.

Also a smaller change but it is weird how this behavior is. Like it is still in my bag. Just freeze my in my place when I try to butcher it, or lower my movement speed etc. But don't close the butcher window for moving more than 5 meters from my starting position, running around in a circle is fine while butchering it, but moving further than 5 meters from your current starting position closes it? Just weird.

3. Make the inventory behave rationally (as you would assume) when equipping arrows/stackable items.
    Right now if I have 25 arrows equipped, and I try to equip another 25 stack. It creates a new 25 stack in my bag and does not do what I would assume it does. I would assume it to do nothing, since I have the maximum amount equipped, don't create a new stack for me being stupid. This is especially annoying when you have the arrows stacked on your action bar and you hit it. Opening the bag after just shows what mess you created.

I know this is something that is the fault of a player doing something that makes no sense, but you should make the "output" from this action less volatile or whatever you would call it. It just gives the impression that it's a low-quality game. Like I have done this once or twice but even noobs will do it and they will be like "WTF?"

4. Give different arrows unique icons and a small tooltip. This is kind of a small change too, it is annoying when you have both an asymmetrical bow and a long bow. You need to pull your mouse over what arrows are what and read the name of the item displayed. This is also combined with issue no.3 in a small sense.

Just make the icon unique for each arrow, and also since people ask the following question in help chat daily "WHAT ARROWS AM I SUPPOSED TO USE". You could prevent this question and confusion by simply providing a small tooltip. "Longbow arrows are suited for longbows and provide deal less damage when used when not using a longbow". I know there is a tooltip already, but for Bodkin and Broadhead it is the same tool tip.

5. More filters for the broker, I would like to be able to filter on Bows -> Shortbows. For example, I don't want to just be able to filter on all bows, I would like to filter on a certain type of bow, if it's asymmetrical or if it's a longbow. What strength requirements are there, what's the range of it, etc.

This actually feels like something that should be kind off prioritized. The current broker works, and it works ok. But it is a bother to visit it and need to browse through all the pages just to find that 1 example you are looking for.

EVEN LESS PRIORITIZED CHANGES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE
  1. Multiple keys for the same action in Keybinds settings.
    Right now I can not bind two keys to the same action, lets say I want to open my inventory with Tab and Mouse 4. (I honestly don't but there are other situations)

This was actually a pretty annoying issue I had with source engine games, moving from the "Gold source engine" to the "Source engine". I was suddenly unable to bind to keys to the same action. Just a very little QoL detail, that would improve how the audience perceives your eye for detail. Not necessary at all, but would be cool. And probably not a huge change.

2. Make it colored what quality an item is. This one is kind of heavily inspired by other games, but provides easier separation of the details that you are looking for when you are skimming items on the broker or from a guy you looted. Like if Excellent quality can be "Orange", good quality items can be "Green".

Again this is kind of an easy change, but tbh. For me, it is hard to tell what is worse, abhorrent pig stew or repulsive pig stew. I don't know though if this would fit into MO2. Might make it seem like it's following a trend too hard.

Just please address these minor issues that I think give the impression this game is not quality. Also, I love this game and I hope it turns into something great, which I know it might do.

And also, please if you have the time/resources upgrade it to unreal engine 5.1. It will make foilage and details that are far away look great, just like in the new Arma iteration (Arma reforger). Vegetation looks great from a distance and seamlessly does some advanced technical behind-the-scenes stuff to make them look as detailed/more detailed when approaching them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gorr

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Before launch.... do you mean before Epic release? Because launch was a year ago...

tntdogs

Mar 8, 2021
Good ideas, all mentioned a number of times. Won't see the light of day.
Yeah but I hope if I present them formally and concisely with a short motivation I hope they can be fixed.

I mean the action bar thing they have to fix lol eventually, and the arrow thing. These are fixes that hopefully don't require that much dev time, probably just some refactoring.

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
Hey, really love this game but some things that I think you must address before launching are the following.
I might expand this list in the future (if possible).
(Atm these are just QoL changes, mostly minor things)

And I would argue that minor QoL things actually can change the impression of new players a lot. I won't get into detail but after talking to my UX colleague at work there are apparently studies on this lol. Even though I at times think UX is just a bs profession.

1. The action bar needs to work like you would assume it works.
    When I move a shortcut that is placed on the action bar to a new position on the action bar, I would assume it MOVES from the old position to a NEW position.
    This is not the case, it remains in the old position but also gets put in the new position (It is suddenly in 2 positions). Just a weird unexpected behavior.
    Also if my intention is to replace an item on my action bar, I would assume that it replaces the old thing placed on the action bar, and the old thing gets attached to my mouse and I can put it in a new place. This is a standard in every other game, but not yet in MO2 (for understandable reasons, small team, great ambitions.)

2. If I have a carcass in my bag and try to butcher it. The butcher window closes when I am moving and gives me the advice Window was closed due to moving too far away. This is also a smaller QoL thing that I have noticed bothers me a lot. This probably does not affect a lot of people, but it can affect a part of the audience that tries to multitask. Which I assume is quite a large chunk of the player base considering the target audience is people who enjoy hardcore games.

Also a smaller change but it is weird how this behavior is. Like it is still in my bag. Just freeze my in my place when I try to butcher it, or lower my movement speed etc. But don't close the butcher window for moving more than 5 meters from my starting position, running around in a circle is fine while butchering it, but moving further than 5 meters from your current starting position closes it? Just weird.

3. Make the inventory behave rationally (as you would assume) when equipping arrows/stackable items.
    Right now if I have 25 arrows equipped, and I try to equip another 25 stack. It creates a new 25 stack in my bag and does not do what I would assume it does. I would assume it to do nothing, since I have the maximum amount equipped, don't create a new stack for me being stupid. This is especially annoying when you have the arrows stacked on your action bar and you hit it. Opening the bag after just shows what mess you created.

I know this is something that is the fault of a player doing something that makes no sense, but you should make the "output" from this action less volatile or whatever you would call it. It just gives the impression that it's a low-quality game. Like I have done this once or twice but even noobs will do it and they will be like "WTF?"

4. Give different arrows unique icons and a small tooltip. This is kind of a small change too, it is annoying when you have both an asymmetrical bow and a long bow. You need to pull your mouse over what arrows are what and read the name of the item displayed. This is also combined with issue no.3 in a small sense.

Just make the icon unique for each arrow, and also since people ask the following question in help chat daily "WHAT ARROWS AM I SUPPOSED TO USE". You could prevent this question and confusion by simply providing a small tooltip. "Longbow arrows are suited for longbows and provide deal less damage when used when not using a longbow". I know there is a tooltip already, but for Bodkin and Broadhead it is the same tool tip.

5. More filters for the broker, I would like to be able to filter on Bows -> Shortbows. For example, I don't want to just be able to filter on all bows, I would like to filter on a certain type of bow, if it's asymmetrical or if it's a longbow. What strength requirements are there, what's the range of it, etc.

This actually feels like something that should be kind off prioritized. The current broker works, and it works ok. But it is a bother to visit it and need to browse through all the pages just to find that 1 example you are looking for.

EVEN LESS PRIORITIZED CHANGES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE
  1. Multiple keys for the same action in Keybinds settings.
    Right now I can not bind two keys to the same action, lets say I want to open my inventory with Tab and Mouse 4. (I honestly don't but there are other situations)

This was actually a pretty annoying issue I had with source engine games, moving from the "Gold source engine" to the "Source engine". I was suddenly unable to bind to keys to the same action. Just a very little QoL detail, that would improve how the audience perceives your eye for detail. Not necessary at all, but would be cool. And probably not a huge change.

2. Make it colored what quality an item is. This one is kind of heavily inspired by other games, but provides easier separation of the details that you are looking for when you are skimming items on the broker or from a guy you looted. Like if Excellent quality can be "Orange", good quality items can be "Green".

Again this is kind of an easy change, but tbh. For me, it is hard to tell what is worse, abhorrent pig stew or repulsive pig stew. I don't know though if this would fit into MO2. Might make it seem like it's following a trend too hard.

Just please address these minor issues that I think give the impression this game is not quality. Also, I love this game and I hope it turns into something great, which I know it might do.

And also, please if you have the time/resources upgrade it to unreal engine 5.1. It will make foilage and details that are far away look great, just like in the new Arma iteration (Arma reforger). Vegetation looks great from a distance and seamlessly does some advanced technical behind-the-scenes stuff to make them look as detailed/more detailed when approaching them.
Love the idea. It's really good. Problem is that SV acts like it's good-idea-averse. If you ask just about anybody they'd agree that these issues need to change to create a successful game, and to make subs feel worth it. 'Nobody is doing what we're doing,' feels like it is going to be the downfall of the game. Sure, nobody is doing what SV is doing, but even people like me who absolutely adore the game and the vision for the game and are willing to accept broken mechanics for extended periods of time, are going to eventually leave the game if there aren't some basic QoL improvements.

The UI jank is the first great barrier that people have to overcome, and a lot of people don't even bother. The intricacies of effectively using the skill window can cause new players to run around at a massive disadvantage of like -300 primaries for weeks before someone guides them through how it works. It just makes the game as a whole look terrible, and feel bad. Especially when you first get into it.

I regularly tell new players just to 'stick with it' because once you do learn all these broken systems they come together into a really fun experience. Problem is that the fun only really starts once you have a few hundred hours under your belt, and have learned the ins and outs of the game. I hope that 'new player experience improvements' includes basic QoL fixes for stuff that scares away new players.

The hype for new content will keep all these hardcore people around who already know and have found ways to enjoy the game, but to retain new players with higher expectations we need these basic QoL improvements. Specifically around the UI. Everybody is required to engage with the UI immediately after getting into Haven, and the impression it leaves is not good.

Help us @Henrik Nyström , you're our only hope.

Last edited:

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Yeah ofc lol, what do you think.
Before we go subscription
I like your suggestions but like I said somewhere else... Not like SV will ever see these because well they dont read anything that isnt on Reddit or out of Streamers mouth.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
I like your suggestions but like I said somewhere else... Not like SV will ever see these because well they dont read anything that isnt on Reddit or out of Streamers mouth.
they do read the forums , they just seldom respond.

tntdogs

Mar 8, 2021
Love the idea. It's really good. Problem is that SV acts like it's good-idea-averse. If you ask just about anybody they'd agree that these issues need to change to create a successful game, and to make subs feel worth it. 'Nobody is doing what we're doing,' feels like it is going to be the downfall of the game. Sure, nobody is doing what SV is doing, but even people like me who absolutely adore the game and the vision for the game and are willing to accept broken mechanics for extended periods of time, are going to eventually leave the game if there aren't some basic QoL improvements.

The UI jank is the first great barrier that people have to overcome, and a lot of people don't even bother. The intricacies of effectively using the skill window can cause new players to run around at a massive disadvantage of like -300 primaries for weeks before someone guides them through how it works. It just makes the game as a whole look terrible, and feel bad. Especially when you first get into it.

I regularly tell new players just to 'stick with it' because once you do learn all these broken systems they come together into a really fun experience. Problem is that the fun only really starts once you have a few hundred hours under your belt, and have learned the ins and outs of the game. I hope that 'new player experience improvements' includes basic QoL fixes for stuff that scares away new players.

The hype for new content will keep all these hardcore people around who already know and have found ways to enjoy the game, but to retain new players with higher expectations we need these basic QoL improvements. Specifically around the UI. Everybody is required to engage with the UI immediately after getting into Haven, and the impression it leaves is not good.

Help us @Henrik Nyström , you're our only hope.
Thanks for your valuable input.

Like spending just 1 month to address all of the QoL improvements I listed is easily worth it, because after that. It is done, the UI won't/doesn't need to change, instead focus on improving the quality of things that are more static.

What you are saying is very true.

Another thing I have noticed is, if you would imagine that games have some requirements to become successful, then one of them is not only in the developer's hands. We need more community content, like no offense but the stuff that I have seen on YouTube is literally shit when it gets compared to community content from other games. Even Cs 1.6 videos are better lol. Although I enjoy the amateurish vibe to it, it won't attract the thousands/millions.

Like with edits and stuff you can make anything look great. Shout out to Wolfszeit though he is a good content creator, puts down a lot of time.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Thanks for your valuable input.

Like spending just 1 month to address all of the QoL improvements I listed is easily worth it, because after that. It is done, the UI won't/doesn't need to change, instead focus on improving the quality of things that are more static.

What you are saying is very true.

Another thing I have noticed is, if you would imagine that games have some requirements to become successful, then one of them is not only in the developer's hands. We need more community content, like no offense but the stuff that I have seen on YouTube is literally shit when it gets compared to community content from other games. Even Cs 1.6 videos are better lol. Although I enjoy the amateurish vibe to it, it won't attract the thousands/millions.

Like with edits and stuff you can make anything look great. Shout out to Wolfszeit though he is a good content creator, puts down a lot of time.

Spending 1 month just to address all of the QoL improvements... I doubt it they will do till AFTER they release on Epic.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
The arrows part def. Would also like it to not delete my bandaids and arrows on my hot bar when I die... and instead replace them when I put new bandaids and new arrows in.

That and they really do need to make weapon switching faster, at least between bow and melee. It's so unresponsive and so slow. I understand from a realism standpoint, it doesn't make sense to be able to sheathe your sword and pull out a bow, but a lot of games allow for at least a main and sub wep. I'd probably deal with the normal time limit if there was a way to POSITIVELY switch your weapon without having to be like spam spam spam.

Mo2 added autosheathe for magic and bandaids, but when I'm fighting, I wanna know I can switch weps for sure w/ one button press.

Also wrote a feed back in game they need to make it so double tap shift toggles sprint. But I imagine that wouldn't responsively, either. Still would make traveling a lot better. Muh pinky.

Reactions: Hodo

tntdogs

Mar 8, 2021
The arrows part def. Would also like it to not delete my bandaids and arrows on my hot bar when I die... and instead replace them when I put new bandaids and new arrows in.

That and they really do need to make weapon switching faster, at least between bow and melee. It's so unresponsive and so slow. I understand from a realism standpoint, it doesn't make sense to be able to sheathe your sword and pull out a bow, but a lot of games allow for at least a main and sub wep. I'd probably deal with the normal time limit if there was a way to POSITIVELY switch your weapon without having to be like spam spam spam.

Mo2 added autosheathe for magic and bandaids, but when I'm fighting, I wanna know I can switch weps for sure w/ one button press.

Also wrote a feed back in game they need to make it so double tap shift toggles sprint. But I imagine that wouldn't responsively, either. Still would make traveling a lot better. Muh pinky.
Yeah Im gonna add this to the list.

Make the actionbar icons remain even if you change PC/uninstall the game.
Make the currently equipped weapon glow green on the action bar