Skill Points needed for Tamer

Domtomsen

Feb 26, 2022
Right now for a real tamer you need around 700 primaries. It seems a bit much for how sup par pets are in group fights, considering you ALSO need to bring a horse.

What would you think about making either Animal care or Veterinary a secondary daughter skill of Advanced Creature Control?
Would open up some points for other stuff.

Would it be too OP?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
To get a max power pet on the field, you currently need Creature Control and Advanced Creature Control. (Up to 200 Primary points)

To tame pets yourself instead of buying them or getting them from an alt/allies you need taming. Domination also works if you don't want to trade pets to others, though currently all it gives that taming can't is a crab. (Up to 100 Primary points)

To level them more quickly you need animal care. (Up to 100 Primary Points)

To have two or more pets herding is advisable to reduce the penalty (Up to 100 points but only 91 of them do anything)

You can heal your pet 30-50hp with a bandage. To increase this by 10% of the pet's HP you need veterinary. Very optional, especially if your build already uses magic. (Up to 100 Primary Points)

To do anything with beasts effectively, you need the Zoology for the type of pet you are using (100 - 400 Profession Primaries)

Beast Mastery and Beast Influence currently do nothing.

So to effectively use a max level pet you need most of 200 primary action points (Some top tier pets require slightly less than 100 PP to control) and 100 primary profession points. (CC, Adv. CC, 1 Zoology.)

To take all useful combat-relevant skills you need 391-491 action points and 400 profession points. (CC, Adv, CC, Domination*, Veterinary, 91 Herding. Mamallia, Reptilia, Anthropoda**, Aves. )
*This is the reason I say 291-391 as domination really is not advisable for most builds and never will be if it stays a sub-skill of Ecumencial.
**Domination only. Tamers and those using tamed pets do not need this.

To be fully efficient at taming and leveling pets instead of purchasing them from others you need 591 action points and 300 profession points. (CC, Adv. CC, Taming, Vetrinary, Animal Care, 91 Herding. Mammalia, Reptilia, Aves.)

Kind of like archery, I agree that a deep dive into taming perhaps should offer more value. But I'm sure you can see the 200 action 100 profession splash gives A LOT of value currently.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Yeah taming pets is more for fun / coolness factor. Not really worth the time and skill investment. I do it for fun but yeah.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Yeah taming pets is more for fun / coolness factor. Not really worth the time and skill investment. I do it for fun but yeah.

Tames can absolutely carry a fight when no bugs get in their way. 90% of their current ineffectiveness is just bad programming. But even if all bugs were fixed it's the most expensive role in the game to use effectly. A level 125 white bear or terror bird is not cheap.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Tames are broken af with barely any point investment. If I want to get them myself, I can get a terrorbird that will solo you without me even having to level it for just 250 action points. If anything, pets need nerfed into the ground.

Reactions: Branjolf

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Tames are broken af with barely any point investment. If I want to get them myself, I can get a terrorbird that will solo you without me even having to level it for just 250 action points. If anything, pets need nerfed into the ground.

Worth noting that getting a terror bird or white bear has you running a considerable distance from most populated areas in the game. That's half their expense.

I'd agree taming should work entirely differently. But making tames a reasonably powered role that take skill to play would require a lot of work on SV's part. They seem to have sidestepped that for now buy making them a high expense, high reward role.

That's alright... as a placeholder for something better.

Domtomsen

Feb 26, 2022

In solo. Maybe. But imagine using that against two long bow users or meeles. A longbow can do around 100dmg+ on Terrorbirds because they have no Armor and are a big walking target cause they don't move sideways.
Both archers will shot twice and the Pet is most probably gone, maybe never reaching them.

Since you did not tame it, it cost you around 60 gold or more.
And for a tamer it means running kilometers to get the Bird again, Train it again for days, farm food and hope it does not get killed in the meantime.
Anywhere else then solo PvP they are squischy as fuck.

i love the content of Tamers. Training pets is awesome. I just think 600 points + is a bit much for something that can die in less then 3 seconds after the fight starts. And those 600 points are wasted after the Pet is dead.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
lol no

I made a whole montage of killing people with terrorbirds. They're not hard to get, not hard to move across the map, or hard to use at all. Even if they die they've won the fight for you against the vast majority of players. People try to make the argument "well if they had more people and had bows" but reality is much different than imaginary counters. Adding more people is not a valid argument, I just add more people and more terrorbirds in equal numbers and you lose even harder.

Veeshan

Jan 29, 2022
taming point requirment is to much considering, melee, range and magic seems to be quite a bit lower to a degree for there minimum effectiveness im also taking mastery and influence into account because when they do do something you will want them i reckon. archery u basicly max what u need with 200 points for example mage and melee is a wee bit more for a base line.

however i think there nothing wrong with points for taming being 500-700 i just think the melee/spell andarchery line also need more thing in there to be put in line with taming skill points this would also make more specilisation which i think is a good thing.

Also sprinting need to be a secondary so we have 100 more points or atleast swap footspeed to be parent skill of sprinting so sprinting is option u kinda need it cause u kinda want the foot speed skill :p

m4rt3

Dec 10, 2021
To get a max power pet on the field, you currently need Creature Control and Advanced Creature Control. (Up to 200 Primary points)

To tame pets yourself instead of buying them or getting them from an alt/allies you need taming. Domination also works if you don't want to trade pets to others, though currently all it gives that taming can't is a crab. (Up to 100 Primary points)

To level them more quickly you need animal care. (Up to 100 Primary Points)

To have two or more pets herding is advisable to reduce the penalty (Up to 100 points but only 91 of them do anything)

You can heal your pet 30-50hp with a bandage. To increase this by 10% of the pet's HP you need veterinary. Very optional, especially if your build already uses magic. (Up to 100 Primary Points)

To do anything with beasts effectively, you need the Zoology for the type of pet you are using (100 - 400 Profession Primaries)

Beast Mastery and Beast Influence currently do nothing.

So to effectively use a max level pet you need most of 200 primary action points (Some top tier pets require slightly less than 100 PP to control) and 100 primary profession points. (CC, Adv. CC, 1 Zoology.)

To take all useful combat-relevant skills you need 391-491 action points and 400 profession points. (CC, Adv, CC, Domination*, Veterinary, 91 Herding. Mamallia, Reptilia, Anthropoda**, Aves. )
*This is the reason I say 291-391 as domination really is not advisable for most builds and never will be if it stays a sub-skill of Ecumencial.
**Domination only. Tamers and those using tamed pets do not need this.

To be fully efficient at taming and leveling pets instead of purchasing them from others you need 591 action points and 300 profession points. (CC, Adv. CC, Taming, Vetrinary, Animal Care, 91 Herding. Mammalia, Reptilia, Aves.)

Kind of like archery, I agree that a deep dive into taming perhaps should offer more value. But I'm sure you can see the 200 action 100 profession splash gives A LOT of value currently.

Do Beast Mastery and Beast Influence still do nothing?