Single Character: An Alternative

ulfy

Mar 31, 2021
I'm fine with the single character model, but I do think it discourages trying new things and could lead to people just quitting if they find they're unhappy with changes to their build (nerfs, bugs, etc). This is particularly frustrating because some of these reasons may be only temporary.

What could work is allowing players to archive their character and having a cooldown on swapping it...

E.g: I don't like how magic is playing right now, I want to try a MC/cavalry build. I can archive my mage, making it inaccessible for X amount of days, and create a fighter. If I decide that's not for me, or if a new patch comes out that adds a new magic school or fixes my problems... then I can swap back, archiving the fighter.

This forces the player to be dedicated to whatever they're playing and not having too easy of an escape hatch, but absolves them of the weight of nuking their character permanently - should they change their mind.

Reactions: Nefnate and Tzone

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I'm fine with the single character model, but I do think it discourages trying new things and could lead to people just quitting if they find they're unhappy with changes to their build (nerfs, bugs, etc). This is particularly frustrating because some of these reasons may be only temporary.

What could work is allowing players to archive their character and having a cooldown on swapping it...

E.g: I don't like how magic is playing right now, I want to try a MC/cavalry build. I can archive my mage, making it inaccessible for X amount of days, and create a fighter. If I decide that's not for me, or if a new patch comes out that adds a new magic school or fixes my problems... then I can swap back, archiving the fighter.

This forces the player to be dedicated to whatever they're playing and not having too easy of an escape hatch, but absolves them of the weight of nuking their character permanently - should they change their mind.
I hear the idea and think some form of it could work, but what of the glaring issue? You talk of people wanting to quit due to disliking their character/build, or how it feels during a particular patch... what if they archive their main, get a new character going, and hate it? Then they want to get back to their main, and are locked out. That would basically be the same issue.

I suppose you could make something like an 8 hour window to revert the character change, but then it gets really messy with people exploiting the system.