Simplified Criminal System

CountingWizard

Jan 21, 2022
In my opinion, the alignment system needs to be changed to discourage free-for-all KOS Rust pvp. I think that an element of uncertainty should exist in player interactions, but that banditry and murder should result in social challenges for the offender. Natural reputation via player word of mouth about murder or criminality, cannot exist without a global channel, nor can it exist in a community where anyone can still be anonymous due to the sheer number of different players encountered. I feel this reputation has to be simulated via an actual game mechanic that clearly communicates that reputation to all players. I think a system that had all of the following elements would greatly improve the satisfaction of players across the entire pvp spectrum.

Blue = Lawful Player

Grey = Known Criminal

Red = Known Murderer

• Players should drop any coins or items with vendor value when put into mercy mode by another player.
  • Players should become known criminals if witnessed by guards or reported for criminal actions by a witness.
  • Players should become known murderers once they reach 5 murder counts.
  • Murder counts should not decay.
  • Players should remain murderers until they repent through some sort of action that requires a great deal of effort, whereby they become merely criminal and their murder count is reset to 0.
  • Players should remain criminal until they pay their debt to society through some sort of action that requires a great deal of effort.
  • Attacking criminals should never turn a blue to grey unless witnessed by nearby guards; it should earn them a murder count if the blue kills the grey though.
  • Attacking murderers should never turn a blue to grey or earn a murder count.
  • Criminals should be able to use all the guarded towns and amenities.
  • Murderers should be attacked by any guards that spot them.
  • Pets/Mounts should inherit the alignment of the owning player.
  • Killing a pet should not earn a murder count, but attacking a blue or grey pet should be a criminal act.
  • It should not be possible to tell criminality/murderer until the player is very close or attacks from a distance.
  • Guilds should be able to declare war on other guilds without consent, for an initial cost, and a daily maintenance cost, based on the membership size of the declaring guild.
  • Killing members of an enemy guild should not affect alignment unless witnessed by guards.
  • Guards should react to both the person performing an action, and to the person affected by that action; so that sniping from distance would aggro the guards.
  • If they want to complicate it more, alignment reputation should be tracked separately by region or continent so that one could be criminal in some parts but lawful in others.
These rules should apply everywhere. According to game theory, creating designated areas of lawlessness means that everyone will be a bad actor there since they can't count on anyone to be a good actor; and basically turns the game into mindless pvp like Rust. Player killing outside of guild conflict should require the game to be played differently from how lawful players play; less convenience, and naturally pushed to base out of the wilderness or unguarded towns. In this way, yeah you could benefit greatly from being a criminal or murderer, but you would face more social challenges when interacting with other players and finding safe harbor to bank and resupply.

Above all, there should be no tricks or actions whereby a blue character unwittingly turns grey or red without consent and confirmation on their part to take that action.

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
nope, none of that helps pvp at all, it does nothing but add more restrictions than we already have. Right now its a pain to be red.

CountingWizard

Jan 21, 2022
I agree with part of that statement. Right now it's a pain to be red and have access to anything at all that would make it viable. You need a bank (or chest). You need crafting benches and refining/processing appliances. You need a way to obtain and store horses. You need a way to avoid being spawncamped at any priest that offers those conveniences.

Unless you are a member of whatever guild or alliance that happens to run the lawless towns, you cannot realistically be red right now. That should be changed so that independent or small-time guilds can operate self-sufficiently if not conveniently. Either lawless towns need to be changed to randomize the revive points, or players need to be able to build the stuff they need outside of town.

These changes however would get rid of the expectation that criminal and murderer status are temporary things to be circumvented as part of the murderer lifestyle. These changes would also help prevent the complex exploits that happen just to do pvp without consequence. With this system there would be a spectrum of gameplay styles represented instead of just blue and red. As grey you'd still have murder protection as long as you didn't kill too many people over your lifetime.

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
if you get 5 murder counts or more and youre a pker, or pvp often you will never spawn in a blue town again. Youre asking for more permenant restrictions to restrict us even farther, there should be no indicator to anyone that im a murderer unless you know who i am.

Voodoo

Jan 30, 2023
I agree with everything stated. This isn't COD. When new or semi-new players are continually killed and not given the opportunity to build the resources necessary to maintain even the bare necessties to arm/outfit themselves to participate in the game, including pvp, then players become extremely frustrated. If something isn't done to curb or penalize pkers then this game will be doomed.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
sounds like an in depth system but i really feel like just having red names will solve alot of issues especially on epic launch.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
nope, none of that helps pvp at all, it does nothing but add more restrictions than we already have. Right now its a pain to be red.

It is not a pain...

Nothing like it was in MO1... MO1 had that system mentioned above. 3 flags... Blue... grey and red.

Reactions: Voodoo

Domtomsen

Feb 26, 2022
Such lies. Thats exactly what this post was meant to be. You are exactly one of the pkers who is in the wrong game. Since when is it hard to be PK? You are always blue so people nver suspect you. There are dozens of strongholds with priests. Even at 5 murder counts you still walk in cities like a boss.

You can so easily have a Stronghold yourself and solve all your Problems as a red. You are essentially blue then. "But i cant afford a SH on my own. mehmehmeh" Why should you do? Why should you easily be a solo red player? This is group focused game. And yes you can build a SH solo. Takes a lot of time but thats where we come to the second point. You dont want to put any effort into the game EXCEPT for killing others. All you want to do is come online and kill others. Then go offline. Repeat. Sounds quite like any pvp Battlefield type game to me. You expect to hardly do any preperation but get all the killing for minimal effort.

And once you get yourself set up being red is a breeze in this game.

I dont mind PKers. They are an integral part of the game. But i want thieves, rivaling enemy forces, warzones. I want criminals.
Right now all we got are mindless battle royal murder hobos like you, that wanna kill without consequence and thinking or groundwork to do. Just get in game and kill. Naked horse killers on every corner of major cities. Graveyard killers all over the place.
Without any restrictions and no hardships for red players, all we do is draw in the worst community into this game. Battle royal and pvp Battlefield style games are made for these playstyles, but not Mortal online.