• no

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • maybe

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Sneeze

Mar 24, 2021
POSITIVES:
  • Instead of money from RWT going to random people it goes to StarVault. funding the development of the game
  • People being able to buy subs with their in-game gold means they are more likely to sub or stay subbed(higher activity)
  • more people and more desire to get gold leads to more PVP/trade/PvE
  • This can be an appealing feature that attracts people to games ("oh I can play without having to pay")
  • actively hurts all other RWT (why would you illegally RWT if you can essentially do it legit)
  • does not actually create more wealth in the game. (gold moves around but is not created)
  • RWT will happen either way
  • sub-tokens become an item that will likely maintain value even with the inflation of gold and materials.
  • unlike other games, more money(better gear, etc) does not necessarily mean you will win.
  • ???
  • profit
NEGATIVES:
  • RWT

Discuss i guess below.

DwarfLord

Jun 15, 2021
I see, so the goal would be to entice people who would want to buy gold for $ into purchasing a Subscription token which supports the development. then trade them as a form of currency thus giving incentive for others to farm gold if they are not able to or willing to pay the sub. I can see the benefit in this from a business and game economy perspective though I would think the largest problem would become how to creatively make this an organic part of the game rather then the typical cash in a coin system we see in other games.

Perhaps a good idea would be to turn this into a poll. Asking players for their opinion so more data can be collected
Example:
1: Would you spend money on this idea
2: Would you farm gold in game for a sub
3: Do you think it is not needed in game

then let the poll speak on to what the community would prefer to see and perhaps if enough people show interest then it may grow
(Edit, it was a poll I am blind :p )

Reactions: MaDeuce

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
I am not a fan of sub tokens. It does take away from the grind and resource gathering I think. If I can just buy tokens and sell them for a metric ton of steel it is a form of pay to win for this game as far as I'm concerned. I get what people say about RWT and that it happens inevitably. However, if you allow legal RWT in the form of tokens it will happen a lot, and I mean A LOT more and it will impact in game economy severely. I prefer to struggle alongside other players who also struggle.

If I grind a lot of resources I can trade them for a prime mount let's says for whom someone also spent a lot of time and grind, we trade 2 things we accomplished of comparable value. If I just buy a sub token it takes no effort for me. It essentialy makes the other person a slave.

I used to be ok with the idea, then I was on the fence, but the more I remember chat spammers and bots in other games the less I want it in this one. Especially considering how much this game relies on player made content.

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
Lots of MO1 gold was sold on the player auctions website. I'm sure it will be no different here. I would like to see an option to gift the game through steam. As for sub tokens something like what EVE has SV will never do it they just don't have the resources to police it.

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
It would be cool cause it opens up the game to more players, who would otherwise be put off by a subscription fee.
But it would suck cause it also opens up RWT to more players, who would otherwise be put off by the illegality of it.

Also, how would people buy sub tokens in game if they aren't already subbed? Guess you could say "sub the first month and renew it with tokens after that".

Voted maybe

Reactions: Draug

User_name

Mar 23, 2021
Why would I try to achieve anything ingame if I could just buy it? Sub tokens should never make it into MO2.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
I don't have any problem with it personally. I've been known to buy sub tokens in RS which tended to keep me playing more since I needed to farm up enough to buy another token.

Jaseace

May 28, 2020
I guess most of you aren't veterans of MO1, and well, this might be a shocker - RWT will happen no matter what you do. Many of the most famous members of MO1, RWT was their bread and butter. They all bought/sold subs and gold. It happened, happens now with people paying for MO2 access with MO1 gold, and will continue to happen in the future. SV should bite the bullet and embrace sub tokens. Get their piece of the pie, make it legitimate to stop the occasional credit card fraud, and (Hopefully) expand the player base dramatically. It worked for EVE, and that's pretty niche like MO is, so I bet it'll work for us.
Anyone who says it takes away the need to achieve anything when they can just whip out the credit card, well that's on you, but for the majority of you, I really, really doubt it. Balance it out well so that the cost becomes prohibitive, without making it unfair for the players who just genuinely play the game and farm for it (Like in Runescape, they really got it figured out pretty well). If you really were one of the "If the option was there, I'd do it" guys, well, once again, reality is, you already can (Yes, it is against the rules, don't conduct RWT, you're putting yourself at risk of being scammed through credit card fraud, your account stolen, and a million other things, it's a pretty dumb risk for a collection of pixels). So yeah, just let SV get their slice of the pie, hurt the scammers, and it really will not affect MO much considering it already is and will continue to happen anyways. It'll just be in your face instead of the back rooms of the old boys discords.

Reactions: MaDeuce and Rorry

Sneeze

Mar 24, 2021
Lots of MO1 gold was sold on the player auctions website. I'm sure it will be no different here. I would like to see an option to gift the game through steam. As for sub tokens something like what EVE has SV will never do it they just don't have the resources to police it.
What resources are required to police subtokens compared to policing rwt in general

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
What resources are required to police subtokens compared to policing rwt in general
This is a company that has had all their account and costumer data compromised they have been DDoS attacked making the game unplayable for weeks. If you played MO1 and did not get your account stolen you were lucky. Henrik has even had his personal account broken into. Trust me they can't do it, they won't do it, sub tokens will never happen.

I would like to be able to gift the game to someone using steam NOT a sub just the game.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
This is a company that has had all their account and costumer data compromised they have been DDoS attacked making the game unplayable for weeks. If you played MO1 and did not get your account stolen you were lucky. Henrik has even had his personal account broken into. Trust me they can't do it, they won't do it, sub tokens will never happen.

I would like to be able to gift the game to someone using steam NOT a sub just the game.
I suspect they could do it somehow that would not have any part of the game give access to the financial info of the player, like have a steam key embedded in the token or etc.
They already did something with reroll tokens in MO1, so they have the framework.

Sneeze

Mar 24, 2021

you did not explain what policing is required. what is the policing that is needed for subtokens

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
i've been back and forth on this issue in my mind for quite a while. for now i think its overall a good thing for the game and SV's revenue. I have concerns that SV will implement it correctly as its something that absolutely cannot be allowed to be duped else it tanks sv's bottom line completely. Also i dont know how price normalization will work (or indeed if it can work) for tokens purchased in less well off countries.

i never played eve or rs but i'd be curious to know how adding this kind of feature changed the game dynamics from those who saw the before and after

-barcode

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
I like the Idea, Because chinese gold sellers will be present again if you like it or not.
SO a system that ist legal is better than black market. same with drug market in real life.

Why not profit from people who cash in and leave development money. They will buy gold anyway but if they buy it from some shady website than star vault wont have a profit from this.
This is why sub tokens would make much more sense. Because than the money goes atleast to star vault in the end. And to the end product and make a better game because more money.

I would say yes that is a good idea because more development money means better game.
And people who use real life money for gold will buy gold anyway.
So they better add sub token form star vault and sell this to other player.

Draug

May 22, 2021
Sverige
www.vikingsonshrooms.com
I'm against it, because it enables players who would never think of using real life money to get into RWT. However, I played EvE for many years, and it has mostly worked well there, especially since it allows veterans to invite casual friends to try the game out.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
POSITIVES:
  • Instead of money from RWT going to random people it goes to StarVault. funding the development of the game
  • People being able to buy subs with their in-game gold means they are more likely to sub or stay subbed(higher activity)
  • more people and more desire to get gold leads to more PVP/trade/PvE
  • This can be an appealing feature that attracts people to games ("oh I can play without having to pay")
  • actively hurts all other RWT (why would you illegally RWT if you can essentially do it legit)
  • does not actually create more wealth in the game. (gold moves around but is not created)
  • RWT will happen either way
  • sub-tokens become an item that will likely maintain value even with the inflation of gold and materials.
  • unlike other games, more money(better gear, etc) does not necessarily mean you will win.
  • ???
  • profit
NEGATIVES:
  • RWT

Discuss i guess below.

On MO1 people use to sell sub for gold ( which was against the rules but people was doing it anyways)
The good thing about it on MO1 is StarVault was making money with it anyways ( Except when someone was using a Russian VPN/SteamAccount he could buy a sub for like 4$ instead of 15$)

Adding Sub Tokens would just be a lost of money for starvault if the population stay low but in same time it could attract more player which is needed in these kind of game. it would be a very risky move to add Sub Tokens.

MAYBE is my response ..

Reactions: MaDeuce and Kokolo

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
On MO1 people use to sell sub for gold ( which was against the rules but people was doing it anyways)
The good thing about it on MO1 is StarVault was making money with it anyways ( Except when someone was using a Russian VPN/SteamAccount he could buy a sub for like 4$ instead of 15$)

Adding Sub Tokens would just be a lost of money for starvault if the population stay low but in same time it could attract more player which is needed in these kind of game. it would be a very risky move to add Sub Tokens.

MAYBE is my response ..
What risk? If they made them not be able to be duplicated, and sold them through steam for Euros or dollars etc.? They should not have regional pricing, that was a poor decision in the first place.

Reactions: Speznat

Sneeze

Mar 24, 2021
i've been back and forth on this issue in my mind for quite a while. for now i think its overall a good thing for the game and SV's revenue. I have concerns that SV will implement it correctly as its something that absolutely cannot be allowed to be duped else it tanks sv's bottom line completely. Also i dont know how price normalization will work (or indeed if it can work) for tokens purchased in less well off countries.

i never played eve or rs but i'd be curious to know how adding this kind of feature changed the game dynamics from those who saw the before and after

-barcode
i agree that duplication would be a huge disaster with them. however surely unique id's could be tied to them in some way and extra tracking could be implemented.

MAYBE is my response ..
i don't see how it would be a loss of money for SV and not again. in mo1 people did buy subs sure but they also just sold gold for irl that did not go to star vault and i would argue that happened more than the subs did. with sub tokens, those who want to buy gold will be incentivized to just buy sub tokens and sell those which will mean more of it goes to SV and more people are subbed.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
i agree that duplication would be a huge disaster with them. however surely unique id's could be tied to them in some way and extra tracking could be implemented.

i don't see how it would be a loss of money for SV and not again. in mo1 people did buy subs sure but they also just sold gold for irl that did not go to star vault and i would argue that happened more than the subs did. with sub tokens, those who want to buy gold will be incentivized to just buy sub tokens and sell those which will mean more of it goes to SV and more people are subbed.

If I understand the point behind your view of Sub Token(Because I think I miss understood the first time) is a player buy a SubToken(1Unit of Pixel) for like 15$ and trade it for gold in game. I dont see any problem about it.

I tough at the beginning you guys were talking about a system like on Albion.

MaDeuce

May 28, 2020
I'm glad you made a pole about this topic. Bringing Sub Tokens in right now would bring a new player base experience more towards the front base changing somewhat the priority of things.. Could be good or bad. I recommend to make it a commodity available ONLY to be released periodically by SV in order to control and transcribe the flow. Quarterly or Semi-Quarterly Release of tokens recommended if chosen to.