Rework mastery system and switch it off meanwhile

Do you agree to rework the mastery system completely?

• Yes, the current mastery system creates overpowered characters.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • No, I'm happy to win without personal skill but grinding 24/7.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don't care about the game.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
The new mastery system creates completely overpowered characters! After short check of the mastery clades shows 10% more damage, 10% increased fighting speed, 10% more resistance against incoming damage of all types (melee, bow, magic spells, pets, ...) and additionally more strength, dexterity, int and psy. in total the advantage of a full mastery character vs a normal clade 18-20 character is at least 30% and maybe even 50%! This a far away from a "skill based" game.

Even more I understood StarVault to implement a long term progression for the mastery gifts. This went completely wrong! In the current player ranking the first players already reached more than 80 mastery clades in less than a week after the path!

StarVault, please disable or remove the mastery skills until you change the system!
1. Don't create overpowered characters compared to players without mastery gifts.
2. Replace leveling with clade XP by something different. I'm thinking about something like 2-4 mastery gifts per subscribed month. In MO1 we had veteran points, and we got 1 point per subscribed month. This way all long term players could get a good number of mastery gifts even if not playing 24/7.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Yeah the game is starting to resemble OG Darkfall, where you had to grind for months to be able to pvp competitively....

Sabottage

Mar 4, 2023
The problem is not even the players that have the 110. but players that have 110 vs players that dont.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Some of the gifts are stupid from what I saw. I feel like they should be more 'unique' things than buffs.

I do think they should keep it more or less, but just balance it out. They need to remove trinkets and let this be the long term grind. Trinks AND mastery is just stupid. Dunno how you dudes even play this game anymore. They do have an audience for it, so good on 'em, but it's not a sandbox world like I thought it would be when I was playing MO1.

This is the game the people that are playing want, unfort.

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
Really dont know what the Devs were thinking with this. It just adds another layer of grind and completely destroys Balance in the process. Its 10% base dmg in all damage types and also +10% dmg to AI. Im not really bothered about battle pets being nerfed but I think new players horses will be in one-shot territory, which is bad tbh. They also wont be able to escape on foot since theres (of course) also movement speed in the mastery tree xD
Like Sabottage mentioned in another post, its a knowledge based game. How are you gonna get that knowledge if you cant compete for anything as a new/solo player?

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Really dont know what the Devs were thinking with this. It just adds another layer of grind and completely destroys Balance in the process. Its 10% base dmg in all damage types and also +10% dmg to AI. Im not really bothered about battle pets being nerfed but I think new players horses will be in one-shot territory, which is bad tbh. They also wont be able to escape on foot since theres (of course) also movement speed in the mastery tree xD
Like Sabottage mentioned in another post, its a knowledge based game. How are you gonna get that knowledge if you cant compete for anything as a new/solo player?
Didnt they remove the movement speed in mastery?

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
Didnt they remove the movement speed in mastery?
I honestly saw this stuff and didnt log on anymore. If they did, good on them. But it just shows again that they only listen to sweaty streamers who were now complaining that they cant catch builds they dispatch with one to two swings while being completely silent about the fact that they are almost immortal. like for real, lets say i hit every spell (which i do, im not a complete potato) and dmg/mana is 2/1. Some footies with trinks+mastery have about 20% resistance, which were gonna ignore. But also 250 HP, Bandage themselves for 50, drink pots for 100, eat HoTstuff for 50. (numbers rounded up) So if they just press those healing buttons ill have to do 450(!!!) dmg. So 225 Mana. That is more Mana than most mages have and almost all Mana that pure mages have. And mages are the most effective way to down those footies since weapons dont really work on them anymore. The healing is utter bullshit.

Also theres no way I can grind 110 mastery levels while keeping my job. It now absolutely became a game where progress is only possible if you make this game your job basically. And everyone else is forced to compete with jobless addicts who play for 16hours straight. Sorry, rant over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drago and Xunila

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
tbh most of the mastery levels that matter are behind a low exp curve and it only start raising late of the 110 points...so dunno it's very much achieveable while just playing normally and i like to have something that progresses while just playing tho i am also not someone that has to have everything finished asap and can live with the fact that i may be behind someone playing more. in the end item loss in MO is mostly easy replaceable when i think of the ships i blew up in eve in all these years :p

what i like about the mastery system is that you get more def than offense which in the end will make up for longer fights hopefully tho as i am a mage also this can really cause issue with the dps you can dish out with the mana you have like rahz said but a reduction here would balance this out.

overall i still like it tho the option you choose is so biased so not gonna vote. more def in mastery very much means longer fights and more skill involved and long term progression is kinda important to mmo's and if you only wanna play skill only games there is tons of lobby games that are exactly for that.

Reactions: Rahz

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
tbh most of the mastery levels that matter are behind a low exp curve and it only start raising late of the 110 points...so dunno it's very much achieveable while just playing normally and i like to have something that progresses while just playing tho i am also not someone that has to have everything finished asap and can live with the fact that i may be behind someone playing more. in the end item loss in MO is mostly easy replaceable when i think of the ships i blew up in eve in all these years :p

what i like about the mastery system is that you get more def than offense which in the end will make up for longer fights hopefully tho as i am a mage also this can really cause issue with the dps you can dish out with the mana you have like rahz said but a reduction here would balance this out.

overall i still like it tho the option you choose is so biased so not gonna vote. more def in mastery very much means longer fights and more skill involved and long term progression is kinda important to mmo's and if you only wanna play skill only games there is tons of lobby games that are exactly for that.
Longer time to kill doesnt mean more skill involved, I'd say its the opposite

Reactions: Monco and Rahz

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022

Im not sure you get HOW tanky some builds can get. Time to kill is way too high for some of them. 85% (i heard thats the cap but its still a lot) slash/pierce dmg resistance and 70% blunt dmg resistance means melee weapons, even if they hit, wont do enough dmg to effectively end a fight. Especially if we add all the healing.
SVs method to "balance" this is really high physical dmg on some builds, which is a quick bandaid fix that lead to light armor and low HP builds being borderline useless and still isnt really enough to reduce TTK to acceptable levels in endgame footie fights.
DMG reduction needs to go down by A LOT so dmg overall can go down a little while still reducing TTK for footies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zazz

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
This update was terrible. Now, in order to have a competitive character, you have to play for 2 years to complete your mastery or you have to play 24 hours a day. Totally against the trend of things being casual.
This is quite a dramatic description and just not true at all. The exp curve is really flat and level 80 is by no means taking you that long and at that point you should have most of the important stuff.
The remaining levels to 110 take a bit longer but the only thing that will really take long is beyond 110 and that is where you do not get any Mastery points anyway and just do it for the sake of it and future fluff and titles.

Overall it's a solid system that let's you progress your character and that's also something an mmo is about. The important stuff is achievable quite fast. Some are just never happy.