Rep system and murdercount: A neutral way to cater to both PVP and PVE while promoting safer areas around cities and more PVP in the Wilderness.

SwordSwinger69

Dec 7, 2021
I am not a RPKer, I am a solo noob who has been killed more than I have gotten to kill, I have a 0 murder count and I am just over 100 hours in after 2 weeks of play time. I believe that having a PVP aspect is an extremely important part of the game and it is unfair to be punished for fights in the middle of nowhere in the Wilderness, but also catering to PVE is just as important. Both of these features can co-exist into something that makes more sense but also functions at a higher level of immersion.

After reading both sides of the fence for the people for and against the rep and murder count, I started to think of a more neutral way to benefit both PVE and PVP players.

Below is a (crudely drawn) map, around each town/city is a circle. These circles act as boundaries, inside these boundaries if you attack/kill another player you will lose rep and you can be reported for murder. These areas could also be upgraded by the guild that runs the city, you could introduce roaming guards as an upgrade option through Landownership.

Outside of these circles between city/town boundaries is the Wilderness. The Wilderness is danger around every corner, man and beast. In this area you are not protected by the reputation system, you are not able to report anyone for murder. Why would any faction care about your safety when you are no longer on their land? You are responsible for yourself until you reach your next destination within the boundaries of the city.

This idea promotes PVP encounters to happen outside of city boundaries away from the Graveyards without punishment, leaving these areas as a safer place and helps with the importance of the Graveyard and other starter-PVE areas for new players to be able to farm and get their footing in the game at the start. Although you can still be killed in these boundaries by players, there is less of an incentive to do it if you can go outside in the Wilderness and have no damage taken to your reputation.

These boundaries could be bigger or smaller depending on the scale of the city, the circles I drew are not to be taken gospel, just a concept to portray the idea.

Having a balance between PVP and PVE is important. The scales do not need to be tipped in favour to one or the other, it can be done in a way where both can co-exist and no player has to be disadvantaged because of what drew them into this amazing game to begin with.

Attachments

• TCZumrU.jpeg
    TCZumrU.jpeg
    950.8 KB · Views: 8