Recode skill levels so we don't over invest.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Pretty simple request that has been a nagging annoyance since the beginning of the original game.

Recode the skills so we can't invest wasted points above skill level 100. Make the calculation for total skill level account for attribute bonuses and clade gifts before your actual experience in the skill and/or automatically refund the points that are spent overcap in the case of having a skill maxed and then activating a clade gift or attribute change.

It's so unintuitive for many players that you have to go back after the fact and subtract all those wasted pts that get spent overcap.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Pretty simple request that has been a nagging annoyance since the beginning of the original game.

Recode the skills so we can't invest wasted points above skill level 100. Make the calculation for total skill level account for attribute bonuses and clade gifts before your actual experience in the skill and/or automatically refund the points that are spent overcap in the case of having a skill maxed and then activating a clade gift or attribute change.

It's so unintuitive for many players that you have to go back after the fact and subtract all those wasted pts that get spent overcap.
There’s something weird that I enjoy about manually reducing the skills. Makes me feel like I’m actively managing the build more.

But you’re probably right

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
makes a lot of edge cases.... if you change your stats to reduce your bonus to armor training you might deactivate heavy armor training and suddenly find out you lost a lot of points from there before regaining that point in armor training. this goes for anything with a threshold for when you can learn it i guess. maybe have it so you can hit a button and it dumps all your excess points back into your pool. can be dangerous if you deactivated skills on accident but should be a convenience the vast majority of the time.

-barcode

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
There’s something weird that I enjoy about manually reducing the skills. Makes me feel like I’m actively managing the build more.

But you’re probably right

I agreed with the op and this.

It can be rewarding to find these extra points when you get to the point of needing them.

While I one hundred percent agree that it could be made easier. I also see how this would be taking a little something away from managing a character as well.

Six of one, and a half dozen of the other it seems.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Another thing to keep in mind is that while MO vets might appreciate these little weird MO quirks, new players likely wont and will find it annoying and unintuitive. Which could make it worth changing. I'm not going to miss having to drop my primaries when I run out of points because they went over cap. But nubs might get mad about it when they didn't realize they were over cap. And if I've learned anything from reading reviews and watching review vids, its that MO has way too many little things like this that bug new players and just make the overall experience worse. And the more of those that could be fixed, the better.

Reactions: Amadman

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
This sort of thing doesn't come across to people as a fun little thing to discover...it just makes the game look janky. It should be fixed imo.

Reactions: Jatix and Amadman

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Make manual skillpoint management an option in settings. If you select it you can overlevel skills for the rare scenarios where you might need it due to a plan to reallocate attributes or something.

Default should be skills automatically cap when they are about to overlevel and pull points out if raising attributes overlevel. No newb who doesn't understand the setting exists is better off doing it manually.

Breannor

May 28, 2020
At first , i thought this bonus point was automatically added to the pool. This is at the end I understand i had to reduce skill. Very unintuitive and should be fixed.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I too enjoy going through all my skills after levelling many things to 100 as it feels very rewarding to get those points back.

It is also indeed a more complex topic than simply refunding any points that could be accounted for with bonus points, as has been pointed out already.

If you need 100 armor training to enable heavy armor training, is the solution to simply make the trained level requirement an effective level requirement or is it to only automatically refund the points for skills that have no trained parent requirement?

Either one is acceptable and I also agree that although it may be fun for us, it's a small loss for the rather large gain of having new players not be confused as to why they seem to be missing points that other players or vets seem to have.

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
maybe have it so you can hit a button and it dumps all your excess points back into your pool
Seconding this idea, a one-click "Optimize skill levels" button or command that when activated, checks every primary skill for excess skill points and automatically reduces the level to the maximum if found. Any idea about some kind of automatic skill point management is going to be a nightmare to implement properly due to fluctuating attribute points and unobtained clade gifts.

Reactions: Speznat

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Seconding this idea, a one-click "Optimize skill levels" button or command that when activated, checks every primary skill for excess skill points and automatically reduces the level to the maximum if found. Any idea about some kind of automatic skill point management is going to be a nightmare to implement properly due to fluctuating attribute points and unobtained clade gifts.
Simple and best solution, And i also think its one of the more easy ways to handle that code wise.