[Question] attack directions and damage types

mortalsn

May 10, 2021
Do directional attacks have corresponding damage types: Up - blunt ; left & right - slashing ; down - piercing. If not, then why spear and dagger only do good damage with down attack? If this is all correct, doesn't this put high slashing damage weapons at an advantage, because there are two directions associated with slashing damage. For example, if you are not sure about the incoming attack against a spear user, blocking down saves you from worst, but against sword, you receive a big hit with 1/2 probability.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
Do directional attacks have corresponding damage types: Up - blunt ; left & right - slashing ; down - piercing. If not, then why spear and dagger only do good damage with down attack? If this is all correct, doesn't this put high slashing damage weapons at an advantage, because there are two directions associated with slashing damage. For example, if you are not sure about the incoming attack against a spear user, blocking down saves you from worst, but against sword, you receive a big hit with 1/2 probability.

Only stabbing (down) do piercing, regardless of weapontype. All weapons have an amount of either piercing, slashing or blunt. Look at their stats and you will soon tell what weapons do their primary damage in what stat. Stats can also be altered depending on material, usually heavier materials is higher blunt, for instance.

Just test things out and you will figure it out eventually.

Reactions: mortalsn

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
yes, spears are much easier to block because their main damage comes from the single stabbing attack. However they get range and the use a shield to block with, protect their left side and cause equipment hits. A bit of a trade off.

But you are correct. Spears are a bit at a disadvantage when it comes to damage types, as their up/left/right slashing are weaker than the stabbing.

also why you don’t see a lot of spears in 1vs1 duels. They are more useful in large battles where people can’t parry whore.

Last edited:

Grack

Aug 28, 2020
Spears give you great range which can be used to great effect in a 1v1 but against a skilled player sword and poleswords are the best. In group fights however spear and shield is a very good combo, its easy to use, provides the most passive protection, makes you more annoying to aim for compared to non shield players, and reduces the chances of friendly fire. They can also be good for sticking backing, and that shield will save your life from time to time, especially when running with it on your back. They're also better against arrows.

When you attack in a slashing motion (up/left/right) you do a combination of slash and blunt. Amours are always more vunerable to blunt.

Swords = light on stam, fast, 4 directional attacks, good at 1v1's ok in group fights, starts to fade against steel amours.
Spear = ok stam, fast, mostly 1 directional attack, good in a group, fades a bit against steel armours but remains a good choice because of shield combo.
Axe = medium to heavy on stam, slower, 3 direction attacks, heavy hitter, good in group fights if you don't friendly fire. Good against heavier armours.
Blunt = basically the same as axe but does the best damage to steel armours.

Here is a helpful site for it all https://mortal2.rocks/guides/

Last edited:

mortalsn

May 10, 2021
Here is a helpful site for it all https://mortal2.rocks/guides/

Thanks for the detailed answer. I checked the shields section but I still wonder if there are any downsides to equipping a shield? I do not see any drops in my stats such as movement speed when I equip a shield but maybe it has some harder to notice effect such as reduced damage or attack speed? In other words, is there any reason for not equipping a shield (assuming your weapon allows it)?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Well the main drawback of fighting with a shield is that you can only use 1 handed weapons, which do less damage and have shorter range (spears aside). You gain defence but lose offence.

you also lose a bit of general awareness as the shield blocks a lot of the field of view (especially large ones). This makes It harder to keep track of what’s going on around you while you are blocking.

generally speaking, in a 1vs1, or super small fight, a defensive play style doesn’t win the day. That’s why most duels are fought with the fastest 2 handed weapons with most damage (and range). This is 2h swords, pole axes, pole swords, etc.

however, in larger battles where there are arrows flying, multiple people swinging at you from different directions, and general chaos, shields become a lot more useful as they protect you even if you are not actively blocking(on your left side) or just resting on your back. They cause a lot of equipment hits that are very annoying to your opponent. That’s why all mages now wear a shield even though they rarely use them.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Yes, one of the biggest changes from MO1 is that now you can cast with a weapon(or shield)equipped. This is probably to balance the fact that running speed was nerfed. A no brainer for mages as this gives an extra way to protect against damage(bows, melee). Since it’s much tougher now to run away, you can at least pull out your shield and block when you get focused. It also helps when you do run away as it absorbs a lot of damage if worn on back (unless they hit your legs, but you can make armor with heavy pants). Definitely a must for mages now.

Grack

Aug 28, 2020
In group fights shields are great passive defense and tend to work well with aggression, when you're on the back foot blocking they're the same as any other weapon choice because people will take the time to hit around your shield, so when pushing they become more useful for defense, a bit counter intuitive but that is how it works. They won't effect your speed, but I think they do cause greater stam drain as you have two hands busy, I haven't actually tested that but it was the case in mo1. Shield and sword or blunt weapons are ok, but you won't be chasing people down very effectively with them. The stab on the heavy short sword is fast and quite good, and the swings on the war club or whatever its called in blunt 1h weapons is quite strong and fast. I could see it be quite good in bigger fights with metal armours being the norm.

Vergil

May 1, 2021
Yes, one of the biggest changes from MO1 is that now you can cast with a weapon(or shield)equipped. This is probably to balance the fact that running speed was nerfed. A no brainer for mages as this gives an extra way to protect against damage(bows, melee). Since it’s much tougher now to run away, you can at least pull out your shield and block when you get focused. It also helps when you do run away as it absorbs a lot of damage if worn on back (unless they hit your legs, but you can make armor with heavy pants). Definitely a must for mages now.
Big problem with shields for mage is that you've got reduced sprint / no combat speed without hands out / shields in hands. (Less mobility as a result)
And to cast, you'd need to perform an animation that hides the shield to the back, and only then you can cast again. Which can be critical in some cases, whether to catch up / finish someone, or heal, etc.

Plus, after casting it automatically switches back to the shield, and you have to wait again, that is unless you manage X / equipped state manually.

Animation itself is too slow (at least for my liking), so I wouldn't recommend using one on dex mage.
On a fat mage - for sure, since you can't run away anyway.